I'm still rocking a Curve 8330 but I'm "patiently" waiting on the Tour 2. When this phone finally drops, am I still allowed to keep my Alltel plan with the new Verizon phone? Also a second question: My girlfriend and I are taking a trip to Sweden in August, I realize the Tour 2 will work over there, but will it work on an Alltel plan?
    02-10-10 07:44 AM
    I dont believe so, I remember a posting like this before.
    02-10-10 07:50 AM
    You will be able to keep your plan.
    02-10-10 08:09 AM
    I was hoping so, thank you. A work friend of mine was told he HAD to change to a Verizon plan if he wanted to upgrade. I assumed he just got talked into it by not knowing. Also, any idea on using the phone over seas with the Alltel plan?
    02-10-10 08:25 AM
    Yes, you can keep your plan.

Although to add international calling for the time you'll be in Sweden I do believe you'll have to have a Verizon plan. You can't add VZW features to an Alltel plan.

Hope this helps
    02-10-10 08:26 AM
    I was hoping so, thank you. A work friend of mine was told he HAD to change to a Verizon plan if he wanted to upgrade. I assumed he just got talked into it by not knowing. Also, any idea on using the phone over seas with the Alltel plan?
    It depends, he may have needed to change if it was for a promo upgrade. There has been a few promos where you can upgrade to a new phone, even if you are not eligible but you have to switch to VZW.
    02-10-10 08:27 AM
    The reason he "HAD" to change is because the Rep. wanted the commission and if he kept his Alltel plan and just upgraded his phone said Rep. make no money. JMO but if you ask me this is fraud, especially know these Reps. have been trained and told that an Alltel plan can be kept.

I also know of a case where the Rep. didn't know how to activate and put it in the computer so he just tried to make them sign a VZW plan. Finally after 3 different Reps. in the store he was activated on a VZW device with his Alltel plan.

Also, if you want to change your plan ANY, such as add any VZW specific features you DO need a Verizon plan and device. So who know what his specific deal was but there are a lot of misleading going on.

I believe you'll need a Verizon plan to use it overseas, but check around thoroughly.
    02-10-10 08:54 AM
    I'm still rocking a Curve 8330 but I'm "patiently" waiting on the Tour 2. When this phone finally drops, am I still allowed to keep my Alltel plan with the new Verizon phone? Also a second question: My girlfriend and I are taking a trip to Sweden in August, I realize the Tour 2 will work over there, but will it work on an Alltel plan?

I upgraded two phones on an old Alltel plan at Christmas and it worked fine.

MG
    02-10-10 09:21 AM
    Thanks guys! If I have to upgrade to a Verizon plan for international calling for a week I will just leave my berry at home. lol
    02-10-10 09:24 AM
    lol sorry about the first post, guess i was wrong. Glad u didnt go off what i thought i remembered
    02-10-10 09:46 AM
    Yes, you can keep your plan.

Although to add international calling for the time you'll be in Sweden I do believe you'll have to have a Verizon plan. You can't add VZW features to an Alltel plan.

Hope this helps
    The reason he "HAD" to change is because the Rep. wanted the commission and if he kept his Alltel plan and just upgraded his phone said Rep. make no money. JMO but if you ask me this is fraud, especially know these Reps. have been trained and told that an Alltel plan can be kept.

I also know of a case where the Rep. didn't know how to activate and put it in the computer so he just tried to make them sign a VZW plan. Finally after 3 different Reps. in the store he was activated on a VZW device with his Alltel plan.

Also, if you want to change your plan ANY, such as add any VZW specific features you DO need a Verizon plan and device. So who know what his specific deal was but there are a lot of misleading going on.

I believe you'll need a Verizon plan to use it overseas, but check around thoroughly.
    +1!! You speak the truth.. no need to get rid of the Alltel plan to go to a VZW phone..
    02-10-10 10:53 AM
    I've upgraded 1 line and have 2 more to go ........... still on Alltel plan. If you go into store and mention Alltel all they can say is "you gotta switch" I'd hate to know how many people are fooled into thinking they "have" to switch
    02-10-10 07:44 PM

We still get paid commission on an alltel upgrade so it being that the rep was ripping him off because of commission issues is simply not true. It could have been any number of reasons such as what features said friend wanted on the phone, etc. They are right, you can have an Alltel plan and Verizon phone but for global service you need a verizon plan.

Don't be so quick to judge without all the facts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-10 01:23 AM
    We still get paid commission on an alltel upgrade so it being that the rep was ripping him off because of commission issues is simply not true. It could have been any number of reasons such as what features said friend wanted on the phone, etc. They are right, you can have an Alltel plan and Verizon phone but for global service you need a verizon plan.

Don't be so quick to judge without all the facts.

So tell us: do you get the same commission from an Alltel Local Freedom plan $29.99 as you do a National VZW plan?

Also what features would be incompatible with the Alltel Plan besides Vcast TV and maybe like visual voicemail that isn't even available for most customers regardless of plan?

02-12-10 05:23 AM
    So...is there a definitive answer to the OPs question: "My girlfriend and I are taking a trip to Sweden in August, I realize the Tour 2 will work over there, but will it work on an Alltel plan?"

I can understand some VZW features not working on an Alltel plan, but aren't we talking about "network" rather than features? Or is the ability to use a VZW capable device with an Alltel plan while traveling abroad considered a "feature" and unavailable to those still on Alltel plans. I thought the rap was that eventually, an Alltel plan device would work anywhere a VZW plan device would work...and vice versa.
    02-12-10 08:07 AM
    Not sure how they handle global plans for those still on an alltel plan but if you've had the phone long enough, you should be able to get the phone unlocked and just use a prepaid sim while you're there. But with it being the Tour 2 and no ETA, you might have to pay to have it unlocked.
    02-12-10 08:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD