04-30-09 03:35 AM
30 12
tools
    I know what most of you are thinking... why would I get a BB without a data plan? The whole point of a BB is email, data, etc. (I understand this). I currently have a Treo (please don't flame, I hate the thing). I don't currently pay for data (i have texting). I use it for the calendar/planner/organizer mostly. I may be able to get a free phone from the university that I work for, but don't have the cash right now to start paying the extra data fees every month. I am hoping that I will be able to afford that eventually. Does anyone know if I could get a BB, not pay for data, and be able to use it for my needs? I am on Verizon.
    04-22-09 12:51 PM
    Nope. VZW requires a BB data plan for any BB on their network.

I think all of their smartphones are that way now as well.
    04-22-09 12:56 PM
    I know what most of you are thinking... why would I get a BB without a data plan?
    You're correct, exactly what I was thinking, and the answer is no.
    04-22-09 01:00 PM
    Nope Verizon does not allow it.
    And yea your right...why on earth would you want a bb without a data plan? Because it cheaper? If that is the answer then why on earth would you get a bb and no an env or something else?
    04-22-09 01:03 PM
    I want a BB, and everything that a BB is capable of. I don't want some other piece of sh%t. It's just that I would need to get it soon, but at the present time, the extra $400/year is not in my budget (schools don't pay very much in case you didn't know).
    04-22-09 01:06 PM
    Well you might have to check out other Carriers because VZW does not allow it! I'm sorry, but check out some other providers and let us know!
    04-22-09 01:11 PM
    I currently have a Treo (please don't flame, I hate the thing). I don't currently pay for data (i have texting). I use it for the calendar/planner/organizer mostly.
    I understand what you are saying, prior to me finding Blackberry, I also had a Treo and did not have a data plan on it. I don't like dumb phone calendars and such so I used the Treo with no data plan for what I needed.

I want a BB, but at the present time, the extra $400/year is not in my budget
    on VZW the BIS is $29.99 x 12 = $359.88

I did go through the same thing (sort of) as you, the extra data plan money was cut from my 2009 budget (the wife axed it). I searched high and low and found that I don't watch as much TV as I have in the past, was able to trim my cable bill down enough to bring back my data plan. So maybe you can cut and save from one other place, to go blackberry

Well you might have to check out other Carriers because VZW does not allow it! I'm sorry, but check out some other providers and let us know!
    I agree, if nothing else is an option maybe you can look into other carriers that don't require a data plan, or let you use wifi to connect. I never used wifi and VZW does not have it on their blackberries, so I don't know much about how all that works.

Good luck, but make sure you are ready when you get your blackberry, because it is an addiction and may never want to give it up again
    04-22-09 01:46 PM
    i'm in a similar boat, wife wants a better device than her dumb phone. thought about getting her a blackberry but will probably get her one of their other phones that has a full qwerty keyboard to avoid the data charge. she doesn't use email all that often and would probably not use the internet that much. now if i got her a blackberry she might be more inclined to use data, but we are trying to cut back on some expenses.
    04-22-09 02:29 PM
    AT&T will allow you to get a BB, and not get a data package. Of course, if you are still under contract Verizon will rake you over the coals for breaking the contract.
    04-22-09 03:03 PM
    when you get your blackberry, because it is an addiction and may never want to give it up again
    Not me - I'll give mine up as soon as a suitable WinMo device comes out.

The BlackBerry is currently slightly more stable than a WinMo device, but I can do so much more on WinMo - better browser, better messaging, more apps, both native & third party.

I know it sounds like heresy, but while I like BlackBerry & know it well, in my not-so-humble opinion, it isn't all it is cracked up to be by rabid fans.

The BlackBerry is better for those who are all thumbs with high-tech devices, but except for push email, WinMo is a much more capable platform. And, when RIM servers hiccup, WinMo devices keep on humming.

I am so tired of those RIM server hiccups & the battery pulls.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-09 07:49 PM
    Nope. VZW requires a BB data plan for any BB on their network.

I think all of their smartphones are that way now as well.
    If you can get a 6900 or a Centro, those do not require a plan.

But to be honest, I'm pretty sure they started requiring the plan because people were buying phones that were over their heads and beyond what they were really looking for. (My personal opinion and speculation.)
    04-22-09 07:57 PM
    If you can get a 6900 or a Centro, those do not require a plan.

But to be honest, I'm pretty sure they started requiring the plan because people were buying phones that were over their heads and beyond what they were really looking for. (My personal opinion and speculation.)
    No VZW started requiring data plans for their advanced devices cause people did not want the data and went with the pay as you plans. Then called in for massive credit requests when they got data bill in the hundreds or higher.
    04-22-09 08:02 PM
    Sprint will allow you a bb without a datplan. I don't know of other comapnies.

04-22-09 08:06 PM
    Sprint stock is sliding into junk territory - they'll let you activate a Bold or a Western Electric Princess - that is how desperate they are.

04-22-09 11:27 PM
    Not me - I'll give mine up as soon as a suitable WinMo device comes out.

The BlackBerry is currently slightly more stable than a WinMo device, but I can do so much more on WinMo - better browser, better messaging, more apps, both native & third party.

I know it sounds like heresy, but while I like BlackBerry & know it well, in my not-so-humble opinion, it isn't all it is cracked up to be by rabid fans.

The BlackBerry is better for those who are all thumbs with high-tech devices, but except for push email, WinMo is a much more capable platform. And, when RIM servers hiccup, WinMo devices keep on humming.

I am so tired of those RIM server hiccups & the battery pulls.

Good stuff there my friend. It isn't an addiction. For some of us it is a strong convenience, a work help, a communication tool. I don't care if it is BlackBerry or Windows Mobile or Palm or two cans and a string. I want what works best. There are so many things a Windows phone does that I miss. I don't think there is room here to list the apps and functions.

But to the original premise of this thread, if you want a BB without a data plan, get an LG or Samsung. Anything else is just silly and a waste.

04-23-09 09:04 AM
    Good stuff there my friend. It isn't an addiction. For some of us it is a strong convenience, a work help, a communication tool. I don't care if it is BlackBerry or Windows Mobile or Palm or two cans and a string. I want what works best. There are so many things a Windows phone does that I miss. I don't think there is room here to list the apps and functions.

But to the original premise of this thread, if you want a BB without a data plan, get an LG or Samsung. Anything else is just silly and a waste.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear I knew you.
    04-23-09 01:38 PM

Actually, Sprint, like Verizon, will not allow you to activate a BB (or any smartphone) without a data plan.

The GSM carriers will allow you to, but not the CDMA carriers.
    04-23-09 02:29 PM
    NOt to brag lol, but I get my data plan for about 20 bucks a month! just say you work for Kaiser! I actually am an intern there, for 3 weeks and was able to show them a student stipend check, but i think if you call them over the phone you can just tell them you work there. That is, if you dont mind being dishonest LOL on second thought i don't want to encourage you to lie, it sort of bothers my conscience so just get a job there instead lol In addition to that i get 20 percent off my monthly bill every month and didn't have to get a national calling plan, i kept my prehistoric 5 yr old plan that is unbelievable for 39 bucks a month!
    04-24-09 04:09 AM
    NOt to brag lol, but I get my data plan for about 20 bucks a month! just say you work for Kaiser! I actually am an intern there, for 3 weeks and was able to show them a student stipend check, but i think if you call them over the phone you can just tell them you work there. That is, if you dont mind being dishonest LOL on second thought i don't want to encourage you to lie, it sort of bothers my conscience so just get a job there instead lol In addition to that i get 20 percent off my monthly bill every month and didn't have to get a national calling plan, i kept my prehistoric 5 yr old plan that is unbelievable for 39 bucks a month!
    okay guy this is how it should work to stop @&#T^ like you. If you want your employer discount, then you can go to VZW DISCOUNT or you can go to a store and show company ID and they will add it, or fax it to call center for verification and they will add it. If you get a rep that just added it for you, then they should be fired. Heck maybe you even know the rep that did for you, even better they should be fired.

As for your old plan, enjoy as some day when you get new device that requires current pricing, say good bye to yout $39 a month plan.
    04-24-09 07:43 AM
    okay guy this is how it should work to stop @&#T^ like you. If you want your employer discount, then you can go to VZW DISCOUNT or you can go to a store and show company ID and they will add it, or fax it to call center for verification and they will add it. If you get a rep that just added it for you, then they should be fired. Heck maybe you even know the rep that did for you, even better they should be fired.

As for your old plan, enjoy as some day when you get new device that requires current pricing, say good bye to yout $39 a month plan.
    Settle down - its just another lying POS troublemaker who is chuckling that he might get someone to make a fool of themselves calling for the discount.

Besides, a quick check willl tell you that Kaiser (no relation to Henry Kaiser the defunct carmaker) is German for "emperor," is a managed health-care provider in California and uses T-mobile (Deutsche Telekom) for their corporate needs. Do you see the flow in that?

Sorry - but my BS meter sees these dopes a mile away.
    04-24-09 08:31 AM
    Hey I have to vent somewhow
    04-24-09 08:35 AM
    Settle down - its just another lying POS troublemaker who is chuckling that he might get someone to make a fool of themselves calling for the discount.

Besides, a quick check willl tell you that Kaiser (no relation to Henry Kaiser the defunct carmaker) is German for "emperor," is a managed health-care provider in California and uses T-mobile (Deutsche Telekom) for their corporate needs. Do you see the flow in that?

Sorry - but my BS meter sees these dopes a mile away.
    While your line of reasoning is valid, and yes, even I follow it and agree with it, just because a company has all of its business through one carrier doesn't mean they can't get discounts through other carriers. My school has all its wireless accounts through VZW. However, I can also get discounts on AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile plans.

Best part about it, is that the VZW email checker for corporate discounts actually tells me that I don't qualify for a discount on my plan when in fact, it is the best discount out of all of the companies.
    04-24-09 09:44 AM
    While your line of reasoning is valid, and yes, even I follow it and agree with it, just because a company has all of its business through one carrier doesn't mean they can't get discounts through other carriers. My school has all its wireless accounts through VZW. However, I can also get discounts on AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile plans.

Best part about it, is that the VZW email checker for corporate discounts actually tells me that I don't qualify for a discount on my plan when in fact, it is the best discount out of all of the companies.
    When the email thing does not work, usually means that company or entity offering the discounts requires proof ie pay stub or badge prior to the discount being applied. Although, there are rare occasions it just does not work.
    04-24-09 10:28 AM
    Hey I have to vent somewhow
    I know - just don't vent in my direction - wouldn't be nice.

Good points - much more informative than mine. My reaction was based primarily on it being yet another one or two post CB account popping in, seemingly wanting to create some dissent. It got lastraid riled, which didn't help my mood much. We have to shelter LR a bit - don't want him having relapses.

J/k LR!

04-24-09 11:25 AM
    U can also get a bb with t-mobile without having a data plan. I actually got lucky and got with them before they booted the price up! I pay 19.99 for my data plan. It's now lik2 25.99 i believe...
    04-24-09 11:37 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD