If i can convince a friend to use his NE2 and upgrade to a new phone, then switch phones with me so i have the new phone (i know he would be stupid to, just asking hypothetically)

would VZW have any issue with this?
    06-08-10 06:55 PM
    Yes, you can do this. Verizon gets a two year agreement, they could care less who uses the phone. Just know the warranty on the phone would be voided in the process.
    06-08-10 08:05 PM
    Yes, you can do this. Verizon gets a two year agreement, they could care less who uses the phone. Just know the warranty on the phone would be voided in the process.
    If something went wrong with it, can we just switch back and he calls it in?

Also, im assuming it would be covered under the insurance on my account?
    06-08-10 09:04 PM
    No. it will show that the phone was just activated back on his account. Even though he is the original owner, it left his possession and thereby the warranty is voided.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-10 10:20 PM
    The phone itself has a warranty, not the line.
    06-08-10 11:55 PM
    But VZW will only honor the warranty for the purchaser of the phone. The manufacturer will honor it.

06-09-10 01:24 AM
    The phone itself has a warranty, not the line.
    See Mario's comment. It's spot on.
    06-09-10 12:38 PM
    If something went wrong with it, can we just switch back and he calls it in?

Also, im assuming it would be covered under the insurance on my account?
    I'm going to be going against several posts here.

To be honest, I've never had issue with the original owner calling in to claim the warranty. :P It's not an issue as to whether or not the warranty is void (Which it isn't. As others have already mentioned, the manufacturer would still honor it.), it's an issue as to whether or not you actually own the phone, and as far as we can tell, we can only prove the original owner ever owned it.

Not a horrible problem if you're friends with the person you got the phone from, but you can imagine what kind of issues arise from a certain site known as eBay.

And no, you cannot have the phone insured unless you were the one that initially made the purchase.
    06-09-10 03:55 PM
    Right, a carrier warranty.
    06-09-10 03:56 PM
    -Carrier warranty is ONLY good for the original purchaser.

-Manufactorer's warranty is good for 1 year and it follows the device.
    06-09-10 07:00 PM
    So question then, my boss got his Tour a while back and had two upgrades available on his business plan. So he got me a Storm free, it was activated on his line and then in the store they switched it right over to my line (different account) and I continued paying my insurance from my last BB with the new Storm activated. Would I have problems with this if I tried to go get a warranty repair?
    06-09-10 07:13 PM
    Well as we stated more them once the warranty is only available for the original purchase of the phone. Insurance is different. If you have insurance on this phone you can still file a claim for insurance purposes.

06-09-10 08:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD