Without data?

So I know that verizon won't let you buy a blackberry from their stores and put it on anything but a data contract (for me, adding something like $25 a month for data and email I won't use). I just like look and feel of the pearl... I'm not gonna surf the net.

Everybody I talked to with at verizon said data packages are "intrinsic" to blackberrys. So I was never able to buy pearl. If I were to buy a used pearl from an outside source, would I then be able to set it up on my regular verizon plan? Supposedly Verizon is under a contract with bb not to SELL one without the data. Thanks for the help...
    11-22-08 07:00 PM
    Doesn't matter where you get it. Berrys on VZW must have the data plan.
    11-22-08 07:02 PM
    I don't see why it wouldn't work. But, I have to ask, what's the point of a Blackberry with no data, i.e. email or internet? Just get a regular mobile, no?
    11-22-08 07:03 PM
    I actually did not know that...
    11-22-08 07:03 PM
    Yah I knew I'd get that... I dunno, I just think everything else verizon has now is gimmicky as ****, and I thought the pearl was really solid. I was told last year (in December, when I set up this account lol) that I could buy one without data and did, but had to return it when the data charges came in on the first bill. GOD this forum moves fast
    11-22-08 07:05 PM
    what's the point of a Blackberry with no data....that what makesthe phone
    11-22-08 07:07 PM
    Unfortunately, some employees will say anything to get a sale. All berrys require a data plan on VZW, in fact, now all PDAs require it. This topic has been beat to death in the VZW forum..
    11-22-08 07:08 PM
    My bad, didn't look around enough I guess. I can see why they would do this with a new phone because they need the plan to turn the profit, but its pretty frustrating on a used phone thats perfectly compatible with the network. Thanks for the info though
    11-22-08 07:14 PM
    No problem, welcome to crackberry.
    11-22-08 07:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD