My nephew and I are on Verizon. He's on a family share plan with my sisters account. He calls me the other day and tells me he's receiving harassing phone calls from an "unavailable" number. The calls come late at night, are usually hang-ups, but sometimes he gets undesirable dialog. He does not know who is calling him, but he has his suspicions.

So what does he do? So far the calls aren't threatening, but are mostly annoying. He would like them to stop, mainly so he can get some sleep (he's a college student).

Any thoughts or suggestions on what to do here?

Thanks!

Eric
    03-25-09 12:48 AM
    Call VZW customer service at *611. If he can tell them what time one came in, they may be able to see the number and then they can block it.
    03-25-09 12:58 AM
    Your nephew can explain this to verizon. And have them set up that unavailable calls
    Not be accepted... There for if your nephew wishes to pursue this matter legally he will have
    A paper trail and phone number. It doesn't cost to much like 5 bucks extra on his bill.

http://www.howtodothings.com/electronics/how-to-stop-unwanted-phone-calls

Also *77 worked on landlines.(Anon call rejection)
    http://www.yashy.com/star.codes.html.
    http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~watrous/phone-features.html

Yes I know we're talking about cell phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by amarubud; 03-25-09 at 02:13 AM.
    03-25-09 01:04 AM
    Verizon will help take care of the problem. You also should do a Police report for many reasons.
    03-25-09 01:21 AM
    Being a victim of mobile terrorism as I like to call it aka harassing phone calls it is extremely important that he make note of what time the calls are coming in and report them with the service provider as well as with the police as others have suggested. As a last resort change the number but hopefully it won't have to get to that point.

Good luck!
    03-25-09 02:26 AM
    Verizon can not do anything except change your number.

03-25-09 02:52 AM
    Is your nephew one of those guys who puts his cell number on a for sale sign in the window of his car the drives like an a-hole? Then somebody probably posted his number to Craigslist in a "horny housewife" ad.

Seriously, though, you might try TrapCall - Unmask Blocked Calls

It's supposed to reveal blocked numbers on incoming calls. I haven't tried it but a friend who's a private investigator says it's great.

Last edited by rlmesq; 03-25-09 at 03:49 AM.
    03-25-09 03:41 AM
    Verizon will block up two five numbers for free - blocks last like three months and you have to go through verizon - or you can pay $5/month and block up to 10 numbers and then you can manage them online yourself. know this because I had a number blocked yesterday
    03-25-09 08:58 AM
    You can't block unavailable numbers.

Verizon can change his number. That's it. Any other solution is up to the user.

03-25-09 09:26 AM
    File a police report. Without a police report Verizon has no reason to release the phone number of the individual that keeps calling him.
    03-25-09 09:35 AM
    Often those unavailable numbers are VoIP numbers, or automated systems. Personally I don't pick up if it says unavailable, or Private.
    03-25-09 10:02 AM
    Seriously, though, you might try TrapCall - Unmask Blocked Calls

It's supposed to reveal blocked numbers on incoming calls. I haven't tried it but a friend who's a private investigator says it's great.
    TrapCall works well - they make a big deal about their wonderful server technology, but all that happens is you forward the call to their toll-free number. You can't block or restrict numbers from appearing to toll-free numbers. Then their system forwards the call back to you.

File a police report. Without a police report Verizon has no reason to release the phone number of the individual that keeps calling him.
    And even with a police report, telcos will not release the number or caller information to you - only to police. If you do get it, it would only be through court records, as harassing calls usually are processed as a violation against the telco.

03-25-09 11:46 AM
    as a prior store manager, you have two choices... really only one if the number is coming up private.

1. file a police report, making sure you keep detailed records of when the call came in. You WILL NOT be released any information regarding the caller. it is highly confidential and the police are only able to recieve the information by supenea.

2. ask verizon to block the numbers... 5 for free 10 for $5/mo.
    03-27-09 12:29 AM
    I was getting a few harassing phone calls at 2 in the morning a while back too. Since they were also from blocked numbers I couldn't get anyone to really do anything. What I found that worked really well for me in the end was to use You Mail. I set up a specific voice mail message for blocked numbers that said my phone was disconnected and no longer in service (it is actually a Verizon message too). You can also set it up so that blocked numbers cannot leave messages. This can work with numbers you know as well. You basically get the effect of having your number changed or your phone turned off without ever having to really do it. After about 3 or 4 more calls the harassing 2 am calls quit and I have received none since.
    03-27-09 08:48 AM
    I was getting a few harassing phone calls at 2 in the morning a while back too. Since they were also from blocked numbers I couldn't get anyone to really do anything. What I found that worked really well for me in the end was to use You Mail. I set up a specific voice mail message for blocked numbers that said my phone was disconnected and no longer in service (it is actually a Verizon message too). You can also set it up so that blocked numbers cannot leave messages. This can work with numbers you know as well. You basically get the effect of having your number changed or your phone turned off without ever having to really do it. After about 3 or 4 more calls the harassing 2 am calls quit and I have received none since.
    slick idea! i like it.
    03-27-09 08:59 AM
    A couple of years back the same thing happened to me. This is what I did:

1. Filled a police report at my main police station.
    2. Filled for a judge to have the court issue a subpoena VZW for the phone records and logs (my information).

Since, it was an international caller and not a US caller that showed up, we couldn't really do anything but change my number. Luckily, I got a good number combination.

If ever it is a call center that is calling your nephew after 9:00pm then he can report it to FCC and they should be able to handle it and maybe take away the call center's operating license (US only). *Call centers aren't allowed to call a residence or a cell phone number after 9:00PM, unless given the "OK" by the customer (if a customer)* especially if it was harassment.

If the number is a certain individual, he can file a complaint and sue that individual for harassment and probably a restraining order.

Your nephew does not have to go through the process of reporting it to the police or getting a subpoena if he will think that it would be a hassle. He can simply change his number. If he has changed his number numerous of times, he might be charged, if it's his first time usually it's for free.

If your nephew decides on changing his number, and it happens again, then something might be wrong there. Your nephew must be giving his number away to a bunch of strangers.

**By the way, it took me a lot of explaining and work for me to get the subpoena. I wouldn't want to go through that again.**
    03-27-09 09:51 AM
    I dealt with a situation very similar about 3 or 4 months ago. I was receiving phone calls for about 6 months when I finally decided to call Verizon. I was told that they can not block a phone number and the only thing they can do is change my number. When they finally made what I perceived as a threat I filed a police report and they stopped for the most part. I have only received a few calls from the same individuals since.
    03-28-09 06:36 PM
    best thing you can do is change the number
    03-28-09 07:26 PM
    I dealt with a situation very similar about 3 or 4 months ago. I was receiving phone calls for about 6 months when I finally decided to call Verizon. I was told that they can not block a phone number and the only thing they can do is change my number. When they finally made what I perceived as a threat I filed a police report and they stopped for the most part. I have only received a few calls from the same individuals since.
    I think my nephew is facing something similar to your situation. No threats yet, but at least we know what to do if we face that situation.

Thanks!

Eric
    03-28-09 09:10 PM
    Thanks to everyone that replied! I'm very glad I have a resource here for situations like this...

Eric
    03-28-09 09:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD