Will Verizon let you go into a store and buy a phone at full retail without activating in the store? I wanted to drop by and pick up a new phone today (at full retail -- I'm not eligible for an upgrade), but I'm in a hurry and don't have time to go through the process of sitting around and waiting for them to activate it. I can just activate it later tonight myself when I have more time. Does VZW let you do this, or do they insist on activating at the store before you leave?

Thanks.
    11-23-09 05:38 PM
    Since it's no different when you receive a replacement phone in the mail, then yeah you should be able to activate it yourself whenever you want. You can even do it from Verizon's website once you've logged in.
    11-23-09 05:53 PM
    If you are doing that it would be cheaper to buy if from Amazon where you don't have to pay sales tax.

Still that's a lot of money to layout for a phone. You sure you don't have other options.

If you want to share your phones and contract info, we will try to throw some ideas at you.
    Last edited by leskchan; 11-23-09 at 06:12 PM.
    11-23-09 06:04 PM
    If you are doing that it would be cheaper to buy if from Amazon where you don't have to pay sales tax.

Still that's a lot of money to layout for a phone. You sure you don't have options.
    I agree. You might as well look at craigslist postings in your area.
    11-23-09 06:08 PM
    Well I have an 8230, and have only had it for about 4 months. I really dislike it. It's in near-perfect condition, so I can sell it on eBay for $150 or $175, and the 8530 is only $359 at Verizon... so yeah, I will be spending a net of $200 or so, but it's worth it to me to get rid of the flip phone.

I notice I can buy one on Amazon for $319.99. Saves $40. To me, it's worth the $40 to buy it at a Verizon store so I can return it or exchange if it malfunctions. I can't do that if I buy it from Amazon (or somewhere else), right?

P.S. I didn't end up stopping by the store today, so if anybody has any suggestions on a cheaper way of getting an 8530, I would love to hear them. But seems like paying full price is prob my only option.
    11-23-09 10:50 PM
    Regarding warranty issue, you should get the $7/mo Verizo Total Equipment Plan. It doesn't matter where you buy the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-09 10:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD