I'm sorry if this is a repost. For the life of me, I couldn't find any threads discussing this when I tried searching.

So my girlfriend's birthday is right around the corner, and I want to get her a new phone for a present. She's in med school and we're currently "long distance," so we send a few hundred texts to each other every day.

We both have Verizon Wireless, but she has a regular (blegh) flip phone and I have a Storm. She thinks my phone is too bulky and complicated to figure out, but she wants to upgrade to a BlackBerry. She absolutely loves the older Pearl in pink. Her plan through Verizon doesn't let her upgrade for like another year, but I thought I'd surprise her and just buy the Pearl now. She'd basically only use it for texting and school/personal emails.

My question is...what would be the better option? To buy a Pearl through Verizon, or from a private vendor like a trusted seller on eBay? I've been a loyal Verizon customer for seven years, not having made a single late payment or filed a claim once in that time. But if I went through the company, would I have to have her security/personal info to activate the phone and update her plan? Would it be better if I bought a Pearl from a private vendor, gave it to her for her birthday, and then just pay through her to get it activated?

Your suggestions are most appreciated. Thanks!
    09-08-09 01:02 AM
    Either way, without an account to attach it to, you're going to pay out the nose for it - unless you buy it used.

The Pearls are probably the most difficult to learn to use, of all the BlackBerrys. Maybe something like the Samsung Rogue would be better, and cheaper?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-09 01:11 AM
    Either way, without an account to attach it to, you're going to pay out the nose for it - unless you buy it used.

The Pearls are probably the most difficult to learn to use, of all the BlackBerrys. Maybe something like the Samsung Rogue would be better, and cheaper?

This confuses me, she wants to upgrade to a blackberry so you suggest the Rogue?

I personally wouldn't get the pearl because of the keyboard, I don't know how anybody managed to use the half qwerty, I think she would be able to learn how to use the 8900 just fine and that's what I would recommend.
    09-08-09 01:25 AM
    i suggest you look to see if YOU have an upgrade and use yours to buy her the phone at a discounted price. then reactivate your storm and give her the pearl and have her activate her new phone. buying it online would work the same way she is going to have to activate it either way. i dont suggest buying an 8900 since verizon does not carry the phone. get the blackberry and you will be able to bbm all day without worrying about texts, unless you have unlimited.
    09-08-09 01:41 AM
    This confuses me, she wants to upgrade to a blackberry so you suggest the Rogue?

I personally wouldn't get the pearl because of the keyboard, I don't know how anybody managed to use the half qwerty, I think she would be able to learn how to use the 8900 just fine and that's what I would recommend.
    Don't mind twins, he's a hater haha.

To the op: I really wouldn't recommend the pearl. That phone is terrible I think, but if she wants pink then she may like the curve? Just buy the phone and surprise her because otherwise you will have to deactivate her flip and she won't have a phone unil you give it to her. Plus you would have to have her add you as an account manager. Be sure the ESN is clear before buying a used phone!

09-08-09 02:12 AM
    My .02...get her a 8330 Curve. They're plentiful, so you should be able to find new ones pretty quickly at an affordable price. Then, she can just activate it on her account. The Curve has room to "grow" and she'll probably end up appreciating the keyboard in the long run.

09-08-09 02:19 AM
    If she thinks the Storm is too bulky than she won't like the 8330 (Curve). The 8130 (Pearl) would be the better choice but she will have to get use to the keyboard. It sounds to me that she won't be happy no matter what.
    09-08-09 02:25 AM
    If she thinks the Storm is too bulky than she won't like the 8330 (Curve). The 8130 (Pearl) would be the better choice but she will have to get use to the keyboard. It sounds to me that she won't be happy no matter what.
    Good point. I find however that it's the weight that puts some people off. The Curve is a feather next to the Storm.

09-08-09 02:40 AM
    If she wants a pink Pearl, it'll have to be third party anyway, as its been discontinued. Just check the esn first. The Pearl is a good phone, its just more difficult to type on it.

09-08-09 02:48 AM

Full retail price on a Rogue should be about equal or greater than that of the Pearl or Curve.

09-08-09 02:49 AM
    Oh haha i wasn't even thinking about 8900 and verizon.

Yea I would say just the 8330 then, but honestly, screw surprising her with the actual phone, how about just surprise her by bringing her to the verizon store or since yall are long distance now, by saying hey I want to get you a phone for your birthday and then help her decide.
    09-08-09 02:51 AM
    Good point. I find however that it's the weight that puts some people off. The Curve is a feather next to the Storm.
    The Storm is a bit heavier compared to the Curve. The Curve is a bit wider. If she don't like bulky phones than the aspect of the Curve might not be too appealing. Both the look and the weight might throw her off.

I wish I would of went with the 8330 than the 8130 serveral years ago when I was looking for my first BB. I went with the 8130 because of the cheaper price and it was smaller but I have a 8830 to and I like it.
    09-08-09 02:54 AM
    Maybe, maybe not. The OP mentioned the GF didn't like the bulk of the Storm - didn't say whether it was weight or size. Regardless, I've heard many say the Storm was heavy & the Curve/Bold types of phones would be like holding a waffle to their face. So maybe it is a form-factor thing?

Then the OP said GF doesn't like the complexity of the Storm - it is no more complex than any other BlackBerry. The Pearl has an odd keyboard - if she doesn't like complexity & may not like the data plan, there are full QWERTY devices with larger screens available for less. Even if she doesn't mind the data plan, Internet on that tiny Pearl screen is a bit of a waste.

As for the full-price comparison, I believe the Curve is still $449. Hard to imagine the full price of a Rogue or enV being higher. I don't think paying full price for a phone is reasonable, so I based my statement on the monthly rate.

Then a lot of people think they want a BlackBerry until they find out it has a $30 data plan requirement. The OP never mentioned GF's desire for online access.

Best recommendation I saw above was the one to take her to a VZW store - it is her account & she is evidently paying the bill. The flipside might be a gift card/certificate. Either way, let her choose after she gets to play with the phones and knows the plan details.

09-08-09 09:03 AM
    As for the full-price comparison, I believe the Curve is still $449. Hard to imagine the full price of a Rogue or enV being higher. I don't think paying full price for a phone is reasonable, so I based my statement on the monthly rate.
    Full price for the Rogue is $419.99
    09-08-09 09:12 AM
    Then a lot of people think they want a BlackBerry until they find out it has a $30 data plan requirement. The OP never mentioned GF's desire for online access.

Best recommendation I saw above was the one to take her to a VZW store - it is her account & she is evidently paying the bill. The flipside might be a gift card/certificate. Either way, let her choose after she gets to play with the phones and knows the plan details.

He said that she wanted it for school and personal emails.

09-08-09 09:20 AM
    You can find great looking BBs on Craigslist.com, u might want to check it out! I suggest getting her a 8900
    09-08-09 09:48 AM
    You can find great looking BBs on Craigslist.com, u might want to check it out! I suggest getting her a 8900
    I suggest getting her a phone that will work with the service she has... which is Verizon...
    09-08-09 09:54 AM
    I got my wife a curve and she loved it, can't get her off of it... So be careful you might just lose her! Lol

09-08-09 09:59 AM
    Pink Curve is a good option, my close friend recently got one and she loves it.
    09-08-09 10:01 AM
    I suggest getting her a phone that will work with the service she has... which is Verizon...
    Aw gee - is VZW blocking 8900s, too? Those devils!

09-08-09 12:52 PM
    Aw gee - is VZW blocking 8900s, too? Those devils!

Yeah and they block WIFI too!
    09-08-09 12:59 PM
    I'd go for a used pink pearl on ebay, or here. You should be able to get one for around 100. Get the ESN or IMEI number & the PIN from the seller before you buy so you can check them with Verizon to make sure the phone is not reported lost or stolen (or blocked because the person owes money) and that the PIN is not associated with a current VZW account.
    09-08-09 01:17 PM
    Hey guys - he said NEW PHONE for BIRTHDAY.
    Buying used for girlfriend's birthday is probably not the wisest thing a man might do - maybe not quite up to the level of cubic zirconia in an engagement ring, but still up there.

09-08-09 01:35 PM
    An authorized dealer or bulk seller on Ebay might still have new Pearls.

09-08-09 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD