There are 3 phones on the plan I'm on. One for myself, my mom, and my dad.

My dad and mom are both up for an upgrade, but my phone is not. My dad is going to get a blackberry storm2. Since it's buy one get one free right now, I want to have him upgrade my mom's phone as well, and then have her change back to her old phone, and I'll take the free storm 2.

As far as I know that shouldn't be a problem BUT the issue is that my mom doesn't currently have a data plan, so when she gets her upgrade she has to sign up for a data plan. My question is after my mom swaps back to her old phone, can she cancel the data plan on her line? So we would pay for 1 month of data service on her line. Or is she tied in to having to pay for a data plan?

Thanks!!!
    03-02-10 02:23 PM
    I'm pretty sure that it doesn't matter if you're available for an upgrade or not??? You should be able to just have your dad upgrade your line with the free phone. I could be wrong, if that doesn't work they would I think pro-rate your mom for the month and she can switch back to her old phone using your online account and then just hand the phone to you.
    03-02-10 02:31 PM
    It doesn't matter who is eligible. The phones can be swapped like you want easily. The data plan will be removed from your mom's line immedately and added on to yours. Than when your line is up for an upgrade, she can use your upgrade at that time.
    03-02-10 02:38 PM
    I got a two for one special on the Storm 2 I believe the fine print said the price was associated with taking two data plans.
    T
    03-02-10 02:43 PM
    I got a two for one special on the Storm 2 I believe the fine print said the price was associated with taking two data plans.
    T
    Anybody know if I can buy a Storm2 at the regular price and get a Tour for the freebie and not get another Storm2.
    03-02-10 03:10 PM
    Currently you can purchase any advanced device (smartphone) and get any other device in the store of equal or lesser value for free.

@OP. You can have the store do what is called a Alternate Upgrade and use your mom's discount but have it put directly onto your line, that way there will be no pro-ration on your mom's line for any data.
    03-02-10 03:36 PM
    yea,,,any equal or less,,,,
    03-02-10 03:44 PM
    There are 3 phones on the plan I'm on. One for myself, my mom, and my dad.

My dad and mom are both up for an upgrade, but my phone is not. My dad is going to get a blackberry storm2. Since it's buy one get one free right now, I want to have him upgrade my mom's phone as well, and then have her change back to her old phone, and I'll take the free storm 2.

As far as I know that shouldn't be a problem BUT the issue is that my mom doesn't currently have a data plan, so when she gets her upgrade she has to sign up for a data plan. My question is after my mom swaps back to her old phone, can she cancel the data plan on her line? So we would pay for 1 month of data service on her line. Or is she tied in to having to pay for a data plan?

Thanks!!!
    Once you upgrade her line, you can switch it to the other line. She will not be contracted to the data plan.
    03-02-10 04:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD