I got a Blackberry Curve in March 2009. According to Verizons website, Im up for an upgrade in November 2010. However, my mother is content with her phone and currently has an upgrade. Im considering getting either a Droid or an Incredible to hold me over until BB OS 6.0. Im pretty much a complete noob when it comes to these things. Ive tried searching the forums for answers, but I want to verify what I think I know, it addition to what I was having trouble finding. Here are my questions:

1) Can I use her upgrade? (Im 99.99% sure the answer is yes, it is an alternate upgrade, but Im reconfirming everything)

2) If I use her upgrade, when would a) be eligible for an upgrade, and b) she be eligible for an upgrade?

3) Would I qualify for an annual upgrade (Ive had it for over a year)? Or is this only for the primary line?

4) When I get an upgrade, that only applies to how long I have to stay with Verizon, correct? If I realize I hate the Droid, could I hold on to and switch back to my Blackberry? If so, could I then just eBay the Droid?

5) Whats the deal with sites like Wirefly? Ive just seen that theres a lot of fine print, and ETF would be more, what are specific issues? It doesnt make sense that its $100-180 cheaper than usual with no real catch. Also, any idea if doing this would affect any of the above questions (and specifically #4)?

6) Is it true that 1 year contracts are available only at the Verizon Store (not Wal-Mart, Best Buy, WireFly, etc.)?

Thanks in advance, CB has been so nice/helpful in the past.
    05-09-10 02:10 PM
    I got a Blackberry Curve in March 2009. According to Verizons website, Im up for an upgrade in November 2010. However, my mother is content with her phone and currently has an upgrade. Im considering getting either a Droid or an Incredible to hold me over until BB OS 6.0. Im pretty much a complete noob when it comes to these things. Ive tried searching the forums for answers, but I want to verify what I think I know, it addition to what I was having trouble finding. Here are my questions:

1) Can I use her upgrade? (Im 99.99% sure the answer is yes, it is an alternate upgrade, but Im reconfirming everything)

2) If I use her upgrade, when would a) be eligible for an upgrade, and b) she be eligible for an upgrade?

3) Would I qualify for an annual upgrade (Ive had it for over a year)? Or is this only for the primary line?

4) When I get an upgrade, that only applies to how long I have to stay with Verizon, correct? If I realize I hate the Droid, could I hold on to and switch back to my Blackberry? If so, could I then just eBay the Droid?

5) Whats the deal with sites like Wirefly? Ive just seen that theres a lot of fine print, and ETF would be more, what are specific issues? It doesnt make sense that its $100-180 cheaper than usual with no real catch. Also, any idea if doing this would affect any of the above questions (and specifically #4)?

6) Is it true that 1 year contracts are available only at the Verizon Store (not Wal-Mart, Best Buy, WireFly, etc.)?

Thanks in advance, CB has been so nice/helpful in the past.
    1) Yes you can
    2) your upgrade eligibility stays the same hers would reset for another 20 months.
    3) Only the Primary line gets an Annual Upgrade.
    4) you can return the phone within 30 days if you do not like it and get your dates reset. Or if you keep it you can reactivate your BB, you'll just have an extended contract and upgrade date.
    5)I have no idea about Wirefly....someone else can help you with this one.
    6) I am guessing that they can only process 2 year contracts because they sell the phones cheaper but again I am not sure. I have never purchased a phone from a 3rd party retailer...again, maybe someone else can assist you with this question perhaps.
    05-09-10 02:25 PM
    Thanks for the info!

So if I keep a new phone for, say, 3 months, then reactivate my old BB, it'll reset my upgrade date? That doesn't really seem fair, but I suppose Verizon is a business, after all.
    05-09-10 03:23 PM
    You can do a 1 yr. contract at wal-mart, but the price of the phone would almost be like paying retail for the phone.
    05-09-10 03:23 PM
    Thanks for the info!

So if I keep a new phone for, say, 3 months, then reactivate my old BB, it'll reset my upgrade date? That doesn't really seem fair, but I suppose Verizon is a business, after all.
    You're resetting your upgrade date because of the new phone purchase at a discounted price.
    05-09-10 03:51 PM
    If you reactivate your BB it does not reset your upgrade date. It only resets with original purchase of the new droid. You will be locked into the contract regardless of which phone is active. Then later in Nov. if you want to upgrade again you can do that if your mom is still content with her phone. Good deal for you.
    05-10-10 07:18 AM
    I think usually an one year contract is like a hundred bucks more for the phone. But either way you can keep insurance on your mom's line and if it breaks just do an insurance claim since you are stealing her upgrade essentially (with her permission). That said, probably a better way is to do an insurance claim on your phone now (esp. if it has mechanical problems and is past warranty) so you can get a newer model.
    05-10-10 01:16 PM
    If you do your one year upgrade, which is called the "annual upgrade", it will be $50 more than what the normal price is. If you go online and purchase the phone, you'll get it for whatever price the website lists it at.
    05-11-10 03:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD