08-09-09 10:41 PM
30 12
tools
    For some time now my Storm has the "Back" and "End" buttons not working properly; at times, they don't seem to respond to me clicking them, which is really annoying.

However, I have .151 installed, which Verizon did not approve. If I were to bring my phone in for service, would Verizon not service my phone because of the .151 OS? The phone has no marks or anything on it besides a scratch on the screen protector. I also have the insurance plan. Will I have any trouble?
    07-19-09 10:18 PM
    You may or may not. It depends if the tech looks at it. You're probably better off switching back to .148 to be safe.
    07-19-09 10:21 PM
    Yeah they'll probably give you a hard time about it. Just BS to them and tell them you had your friend look at it and he put on the OS to try to fix it. Ask them if they can put it back if they think that's the problem. Just play dumb.
    07-19-09 10:53 PM
    But with the insurance plan, isn't Verizon supposed to service the phone no matter what?
    07-21-09 03:18 PM
    Yeah i would just put .148 on there anyway no point in going in and them saying you voided your warranty by putting that os on there.
    07-21-09 03:27 PM
    Yeah, the rep didn't check it. Can it come back to me that if Verizon/RIM were to check my phone, that they could say I voided the warranty?
    07-31-09 08:42 PM
    No, I doubt it.
    07-31-09 09:57 PM
    No a leaked OS will not void your warranty

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-09 09:59 PM
    That is good to know, thanks!

07-31-09 10:01 PM
    But with the insurance plan, isn't Verizon supposed to service the phone no matter what?
    No! If you have insurance that goes through Asurion not VZW.

Yeah, the rep didn't check it. Can it come back to me that if Verizon/RIM were to check my phone, that they could say I voided the warranty?
    I'd say the odds of this happening were so slim we couldn't put a number to it. It would be a waste of time for VZW/RIM. A simple wipe of the phone and reload of the latest released version of software would be a lot quicker.

Wrong! If this were the case then why would VZW take so long with coming out with .148? They want to ensure the best working software on their devices. Leaked OS themselves come with disclaimers. Why would VZW cover someone elses mistakes?
    08-01-09 08:57 AM

I would have to say false...
    08-01-09 09:53 AM
    Warrenty would be voided due to leaked OS on the device.
    You want to reload the approved OS and then go get serviced. Regardless if the tech checks or not or services or not. if they replace you'll have .148 again anyway. And then when the phone is checked at the warehouse you will be charged the retail price of the phone.
    Just beware.
    and Brian... the disclaimer on our own forums for leaked OS's state that it could void the warrenty.
    Most store techs dont check the OS for this issue. But over the phone reps will.. when we hear you have the diff software we are not supposed to troubleshoot.
    08-01-09 10:08 AM
    Most store techs dont check the OS for this issue. But over the phone reps will.. when we hear you have the diff software we are not supposed to troubleshoot.
    Just wondering - are you at the outsourced Boise call center? We get um... a lot of transfers from them!
    08-01-09 10:13 AM
    I certainly am... however; I rarely have to tsfr to internal reps except for trouble tickets.
    Others in my center I cannot say. Some are good and some are bad... just like internal reps... some are good and some are bad.
    and we were told my our supervisors as well as verizon that we did not support leaked OS versions. It was a huge controversy with the leaked versions of the storm btwn the .75 and the .148 launches.
    08-01-09 10:29 AM
    In store reps don't check for the most part bc they are some of the most uninformed people on Earth. I check everything however I tend to lean the software/hardware issue. If it's a true hardware issue then software won't do you any good. Just like if it's a true software issue hardware won't do you any good.

It's a case by case basis. Most who know how to change to a leaked s/w version are smart enough to know that it's not right and go back to approved versions. If not I always suggest they do before we exchange the phone.
    08-01-09 10:48 AM
    In store reps don't check for the most part bc they are some of the most uninformed people on Earth. I check everything however I tend to lean the software/hardware issue. If it's a true hardware issue then software won't do you any good. Just like if it's a true software issue hardware won't do you any good.

It's a case by case basis. Most who know how to change to a leaked s/w version are smart enough to know that it's not right and go back to approved versions. If not I always suggest they do before we exchange the phone.
    I agree with you on that. I'm not saying we wont HELP... just that first things first. we need to get approved software on the device. Which essentially does a wipe on the phone and fixes most issues. Not ALL but most.
    If the customer refuses.. then sorry... cant help.
    08-01-09 11:36 AM
    I agree with you on that. I'm not saying we wont HELP... just that first things first. we need to get approved software on the device. Which essentially does a wipe on the phone and fixes most issues. Not ALL but most.
    If the customer refuses.. then sorry... cant help.
    Yeah pretty much! Normally though you won't see people with a leaked OS call in. Cuz for some reason people with leaked OS's(for the most part) know what they are doing with a BB.
    08-01-09 11:41 AM
    Yeah pretty much! Normally though you won't see people with a leaked OS call in. Cuz for some reason people with leaked OS's(for the most part) know what they are doing with a BB.
    LOL I hear you there...
    08-01-09 11:43 AM
    To the OP: Have you tried to go back to .148? Did the keys work properly before you loaded .151? If so, maybe .151 is the problem.
    08-01-09 11:53 AM
    The keys did not work properly on .75 on .148.

After numerous repairs, they gave me the Tour. First repair had a low volume problem. Second one had a problem with dropped calls and battery life, and the third one had a screen that started flashing. I'm done with the Storm.

08-01-09 12:42 PM
    i mean com on just go down to current os so there wont be any problems
    08-02-09 09:48 PM
    I'm guessing you didn't read the post directly above yours, rane, because there weren't any problems.
    08-03-09 12:49 AM
    But over the phone reps will.. when we hear you have the diff software we are not supposed to troubleshoot.
    Maybe it's just your call center. Because over here in ABQ, they tell us specifically to get 'em back on the approved software and test it that way before anything else. Then we can take whatever measures necessary to get 'em working. That's a far cry from not honoring the warranty or not troubleshooting at all.
    08-03-09 12:51 AM
    Maybe it's just your call center. Because over here in ABQ, they tell us specifically to get 'em back on the approved software and test it that way before anything else. Then we can take whatever measures necessary to get 'em working. That's a far cry from not honoring the warranty or not troubleshooting at all.
    That isn't troubleshooting. That is restoring to original.

08-03-09 01:33 AM
    That isn't troubleshooting. That is restoring to original.

That is exactly troubleshooting!
    08-03-09 01:43 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD