I'm heading over to Puerto Vallarta at the end of this month for a little vacation.
    I plan on bringing with my 8830 (Verizon). I'm on the North America's Choice calling plan which means I can make calls to/from most of Canada and parts of Mexico without being hit with roaming charges.

When it comes to data though, does anyone know if I'll be nailed for roaming fee's? I have the blackberry web/email add-on for data.

TIA
    02-04-08 04:45 PM
    CrownSeven, enjoy your trip! I had a similar question posted here a couple weeks back.

/f71/advice-going-out-country-bb-15259/

From the replies I got, no clear answer. I called Verizon too, and it sounds like for my side of Mexico (Cozumel) the data coverage would be a couple bucks per meg, if it works at all.

I don't think I'll use many bytes for my trip, but I'm worried, so will probably leave the battery out most of the time, and under message options, email settings, I may turn "Send Email To Handheld" to "off" until needed as well.

As my company's dopey BES admin-without-a-clue, I may look to see if I can pause synching of contacts and calendar while I'm away as well.
    02-05-08 05:39 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

If you're worried about the data roaming charges, just turn data services 'off' on the phone by going into the Manage Connections, then click on Mobile Network options and select 'OFF' for Data Services. This will still allow you to make and receive phone calls only.
    02-06-08 10:14 AM
    Here's a coverage map for Mexico:
    aboutus.vzw.com/international/pdf/IntlRoam_Mexico_Map.pdf

Data is either $2 or $5 per MB...sorry can't remember off the top of my head. You could also add the global BB for $64.99 and then data roaming is included. You can take it off when you come back.
    02-09-08 10:47 PM
    CrownSeven: Are you SURE about the North America's choice being free LD/roaming to parts of Mexico and Canada?

Recently (within the last year I believe) there were regulatory changes in dialing plans to Mexico which made all of the carriers restructure their dialing plans. My North America's Choice plan was converted to Nationwide + Canada and none of them cover Mexico anymore.

As for data, you'll be charged roaming and per MB data charges where it is available. even though I have no roaming to Canada I still have to watch my data usage when I'm there or I get a rude surprise when my bill comes in
    02-09-08 10:58 PM
    Here's a coverage map for Mexico:
    aboutus.vzw.com/international/pdf/IntlRoam_Mexico_Map.pdf

Data is either $2 or $5 per MB...sorry can't remember off the top of my head. You could also add the global BB for $64.99 and then data roaming is included. You can take it off when you come back.
    AFAIK the global plan doesn't activate in North America. You have to be off the continent before it will work.

I inquired since at the time I was paying $45 already for the BB plan - adding the SIM and Global feature would have made sense with the length of time I spend in Tronto but was told it wouldn't work since it's still NA.
    02-09-08 11:01 PM
    I can assure you that the global plan covers all data roaming, on the BB, outside of the US. Including Canada, Mexico, Dominican republic, Israel, and India...all CDMA roaming countries.
    02-09-08 11:12 PM
    CDMA data roaming is what I meant
    02-09-08 11:15 PM
    AFAIK the global plan doesn't activate in North America. You have to be off the continent before it will work.

I inquired since at the time I was paying $45 already for the BB plan - adding the SIM and Global feature would have made sense with the length of time I spend in Tronto but was told it wouldn't work since it's still NA.
    I just spoke with a Verizon rep and they told me that with an 8830, if you purchase the Global SIM card and set up pakage, about $60 total, and subscribe to the $64.99 mo. Global voice/data BB package, you can roam all over the world and not incure any extra voice or data charges. Granted not all locations will have coverage for voice and or data, but you won't get charged any per min. or per kb. in locations where it is available.
    02-15-08 11:41 PM
    Whoa! I'm not sure who you spoke to but please talk to someone else as well...9085594899 is the number to call. The global support pack, which includes a SIM card, is 30 dollars. If you sign up for the 64.99 DATA packadge you get SIM for free.

IMPORTANT:
    Voice will be charged per minute anywhere outside of the US. The 64.99 packadge covers ONLY data. Not voice.

When you have global questions only trust answers from global support.
    02-15-08 11:53 PM
    I'll find out for sure, thank you. As I plan to travel to Mexico with my 8830 soon.
    02-16-08 12:03 AM
    Crown7 and D Dog: going to Cabo last week of the month on biz, what do I need to know using the 8830 w/o SIM card for voice/data there? What was your experience (ultimately)? Thx!
    03-15-08 09:15 AM
    The phone worked well while I was in Puerto Vallarta. I had data turned off for most of the trip, and turned it on a few times to see if data would work there, and it did although no EVDO just 1x - but I was able to receive all my email, and also browse the web (Google maps even worked).

I haven't received my bill yet, so I won't know for a couple of days if I will get charged for the data portion.

As for the regulatory changes affecting the North Americas Choice plan in Mexico, I was aware of them, but I thought they only applied to certain parts of Mexico, and not the entire country. As far as I can tell my plan still cover's Mexico, guess we'll find out shortly. I'll post an update as soon as I get my bill.

By the way, here's a map in PDF format showing where the NA Choice plan has coverage (non-roaming) : http://aboutus.vzw.com/international..._07_NACmap.pdf
    03-15-08 12:45 PM
    Thx! BTW, VZW told me yesterday (in person) and I had him verify while I waited, that my plan (NA Choice) would cover me there for voice, and now with the addition of the data plan, data as well. I'll look for your update when you get your bill..........good luck!
    03-15-08 02:10 PM
    Any update on Puerto Vallarta?

Going there next week and would love to take my storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 03:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD