I currently have the 8330, which at the time was my best option on VZW, but compared to the new blackberries isn't worth it anymore (terrible web browsing, gps locked to BBMaps, little memory, etc.). Can I pay the ETF and sign a new contract, keeping my current number, so I get a discounted rate on the Tour or Storm 2 (when it comes out?). The prorated ETF would run me $125 + new contract with new phone, which would be cheaper than paying ~$500 outright. Also, does the corporate discount (20%) work on hardware too, or just plans/accessories?
    09-28-09 04:15 PM
    You can do that only if you switch to a new carrier - breaking contract without a new carrier would cost you your phone number, add an activation fee for the new service & possibly bar you from a discounted device for awhile.

The discount plans are employer specific. Some will discount phones, but most will not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-09 04:20 PM
    Twins said it all. If you port to another carrier you keep your number. If you just cancel your contract, you lose your number. A round about way would be to port to another carrier and port back to Verizon...could get pretty costly though.

Are you eligible for an annual upgrade? By doing the math ($5 off a month the ETF) you are 10 months into your contract. Many can upgrade after 12 months. The Storm 2 will still be around in 2 months. My suggestion is just to wait (if you have an annual upgrade).
    09-28-09 04:27 PM
    I was afraid of that. I guess I could always either change numbers or reactivate an old dumbphone for $10/mo and add new line for a different BB. Could I switch the dumbphone and the BB's numbers?

Nope, no annual upgrade waiting for me. With how fast technology is changing, I don't think I'm ever going to sign a 2 year contract again.
    Last edited by Champer; 09-28-09 at 04:30 PM.
    09-28-09 04:28 PM
    Phone numbers? Yes, you can...I have had BBs and dumbphones active on my current phone number. You could add a new line (get upgrade pricing on the new BB) and switch it to your current number and activate a dumbphone on the newly activated line to keep it a 9.99/mo. But if you do the math, you'll end up paying 240 bucks for that extra line you won't be using, over the course of the contract.
    09-28-09 04:31 PM
    So, if I was willing to part with my number and suffer the ETF/Activation...what exactly are the chances that they might
    possibly bar you from a discounted device for awhile
    ?
    I've never heard of that, but I wouldn't put it passed them to pull a stunt like that.
    09-28-09 04:38 PM
    You need to look at it from a company's point of view - you broke a contract with them & if you're not going to another carrier, red flags popup - I am sure many have tried this tactic before.

So instead of a winback from another carrier, you're someone who is trying to get away with something.

Now, add this into your figures - activation on another carrier - about $35 & possibly a restocking fee of maybe another $35. Then activation on VZW when you return - about $35. Toss in the ETF & you're well north of the $200 neighborhood in costs.

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to save how much?

Now, I don't know what the carrier stipulations are, as far as time or whatever - but I know if you return within a certain amount of tome (30-180 days?), your account will resume with no device discounts. A VZW rep would be better versed in the details.

09-28-09 06:04 PM
    Have you had your Curve for at least a year with your current contract? Are you a long time VZW customer? If so, they will likely let you upgrade early for a small fee (maybe) and extend the contract 2 more years.

That's what I just did. Worth calling Customer Service and asking or stopping by a corporate store.

09-28-09 06:20 PM
    Have you had your Curve for at least a year with your current contract? Are you a long time VZW customer? If so, they will likely let you upgrade early for a small fee (maybe) and extend the contract 2 more years.

That's what I just did. Worth calling Customer Service and asking or stopping by a corporate store.

Ya, been with vzw for like 5 years, and have 4 other lines with BIS on the account atm.
    09-28-09 06:23 PM
    Ya, been with vzw for like 5 years, and have 4 other lines with BIS on the account atm.
    They'll surely let you do an early upgrade as long as you've had Curve more than a year I'd have to believe. You're probably in the VIP list. I only have 1 line and they even waived the $20 early upgrade fee. So basically just the 2 year contract price for new phone and a new 2 year contract.

09-28-09 06:32 PM
    The discount plans are employer specific. Some will discount phones, but most will not.
    Intriguing. How does one determine if a corporate discount applies to phones or not?
    09-29-09 08:28 AM
    Intriguing. How does one determine if a corporate discount applies to phones or not?
    Ask your business rep for a list.

09-29-09 08:44 AM
    Check with your employee benefits people or your carrier.

Any device discount I have seen is seldom worth it, as they can't be applied with other discounts & tend to be small. In other words, you might save five or ten percent off a $500 phone - but that same phone might be available on a loyalty discount for $200 or less. The discounted phones are typically purchased through a company's carrier corporate account reps & not available in stores or through 611.
    09-29-09 08:46 AM
    Check with your employee benefits people or your carrier.

Any device discount I have seen is seldom worth it, as they can't be applied with other discounts & tend to be small. In other words, you might save five or ten percent off a $500 phone - but that same phone might be available on a loyalty discount for $200 or less. The discounted phones are typically purchased through a company's carrier corporate account reps & not available in stores or through 611.
    Its available in stores. That's what a VZW rep told me.

09-29-09 12:40 PM
    Its available in stores. That's what a VZW rep told me.
    For a corporate device discount? Cool. My guys have to call a special number.

[EDIT]Fat finger fix.[/EDIT]

Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 09-29-09 at 01:12 PM.
    09-29-09 12:56 PM
    For a corporate device discount? Cool. My guts have to call a special number.

What do your guts say when you make these calls?
    09-29-09 12:58 PM
    For a corporate device discount? Cool. My guts have to call a special number.

Some phones are discounted. As you said in this thread the ones that are discounted usually arent worth it. Although the Samsung Rogue is 50 dollars after the mail-in rebate for people that work for companies with the highest tier discount. The rogue is my favorite "dumb phone" right now. It works well
    09-29-09 01:02 PM
    What do your guts say when you make these calls?
    Whatever are you talking about?

09-29-09 01:13 PM
    Whatever are you talking about?

Oh nothing Mr. Fatfinger
    09-29-09 01:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD