03-11-08 12:16 PM
33 12
tools
    How much does it cost to break a contract with Verizon? We are on a family plan and have three phone lines, so will it only be one fee for all three phones or will it just be the one fee since they are all on the same contract? We are very fed up with Verizon. We've had it for almost 10 years and it seems to get increasingly worse and we really want to switch to AT&T but are worried about the cancellation costs. Thanks!
    03-04-08 10:32 AM
    every month closer to the end of your contract the fee decreases. from what i understand, it is PER line, so you could be looking at a high fee. the best thing to do, honestly, is call them and ask them exactly what it will be so there are no surprises. they can tell you exactly what it is. sorry to hear you're having problems. good luck!
    03-04-08 10:35 AM
    May we inquire as to your problems with Verizon? Just wondering.
    03-04-08 10:43 AM
    As for the problems I'm having, their phones pretty much suck. The tech support I've gotten for my BlackBerry 8830 has been horrible, I've had two reps give me false information and that is just recently.
    03-04-08 10:46 AM
    Sorry for your problems. Is there anything some CrackBerry users can help you figure out with your phone? I not trying to convince you to stay with Verizon, just trying to make your life less unpleasant.
    03-04-08 10:55 AM
    I had Verizon and broke my contract to switch to AT&T. My fee was $140. I had problems with my Treo 700wx with them. After 2 replacement Treo's they still wanted to give me another Treo. I said I was fed up with the Treo and wanted something more reliable. They would not help so I told them if they couldn't help me that I was going to go to another carrier. They didnt' so the next day I was back in the store cancelling my contract.

I had been a Verizon customer for several years. I would have thought that their customer service and customer satisfaction would have been more important but it wasn't.

Funny thing was, 2 days after cancelling, I received a flyer in the mail asking me to come back to them and that they had special offers for me to get a new phone for free! Oops....they were a little too late. Sorry Verizon--Hello AT&T.

I have been happy with AT&T so far. I was a little disappointed in customer service when I went to pay my bill in person. But now I just pay online or use the Pay by Text. So all is good. Read that thread for more info.
    03-04-08 10:58 AM
    Jimmers, I had a problem similar to yours but with the Motorola Q. I had gone through two of them and they wanted to give me a 3rd. I told them to forget it and I bought the BlackBerry 8830. I knew it didn't have a camera but they neglected to tell me that it also didn't have picture or video messaging and I specifically asked them if it had all the features of the Q except a camera. As for the tech support, I eventually figured it out after I spent all day on the phone with 3 different tech support people and they all told me different things, all of which were wrong.
    03-04-08 11:02 AM
    I highly recommend t-mobile.Great customer service.I think they have a great plans.Check it out.I for one am very very happy with t-mobile.If you research t-mobile,do it online and not at store.Also if possible order online.Better deals.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    03-04-08 11:08 AM
    I highly recommend t-mobile.Great customer service.I think they have a great plans.Check it out.I for one am very very happy with t-mobile.If you research t-mobile,do it online and not at store.Also if possible order online.Better deals.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    I'm debating between T-Mobile and AT&T. I was leaning towards AT&T, but I'm making a move to Southern California in the next few months and it seems T-Mobile customers in that area are more satisfied with coverage than AT&T. Plus they have the favorite five which appeals to me.
    03-04-08 11:10 AM
    i believe its $175 PER LINE...

eeek.

-db
    03-04-08 11:18 AM
    i thought it was prorated?
    03-04-08 11:40 AM
    call verizon...

they will know...

doesn't cost anything to ask...and if you do it right...they may offer you something to convince you to stay...

-db
    03-04-08 11:52 AM
    it is prorated, at least that is what they told me directly a few months ago. i was working them to get the best deal i could on the pearl so inquired about switching. but we have good coverage and service so we wouldn't switch. plus their data is the best.

as for the 8830, i don't like it either. LOVE the pearl. sounds like you just need to switch carriers to get the bad taste out of your mouth. i can't blame you at all. i would obviously suggest getting a berry - you would probably like the curve or pearl. i wish you the best of luck and hope your situation is resolved for you soon. let us know.

btw, i have had the best luck dealing w/ verizon IN PERSON, not on the phone. in a real store, not "authorized dealer."
    03-04-08 01:29 PM
    Thanks for all the information. Luckily I think I might have found a loophole to getting out of the contract. I'll still have to pay the fee, but at least my husband and daughter shouldn't have to.
    03-04-08 02:19 PM
    Thanks for all the information. Luckily I think I might have found a loophole to getting out of the contract. I'll still have to pay the fee, but at least my husband and daughter shouldn't have to.
    good for you! good luck, and like i said let us know how everything works out of you.
    03-04-08 02:34 PM
    Sorry to hear about your problems with Verizon. Personally, I have had nothing but outstanding service from them and wild horses couldn't drag me away from them. Hope it goes well for you with AT&T.
    03-04-08 03:18 PM
    I used the method described in this Slickdeals thread to cancel my account without penalty... Worked fine (the second time I called... lol)

Get Out of Verizon Wireless ETF - SlickDeals.net Forums

Good luck!
    03-04-08 08:58 PM
    My two cents, forget the contract and just pay full price for your phones. If you do the math, the end result is usually a $10 a month savings or less with no fees to terminate. That's what I prefer to do with any carrier regardless of discount. The freedom and peace of mind is better that way. They can't obligate you sign a contract they just try to push it. Just some advice for any future switches.
    03-05-08 12:09 AM
    i also heard $175... i called in the other day & they hit me with that bad news, lol.
    03-05-08 12:42 AM
    We have three lines but I just got out of our contract for only $125. I'll be switching to AT&T on Saturday.
    03-05-08 12:16 PM
    We have three lines but I just got out of our contract for only $125. I'll be switching to AT&T on Saturday.
    Congrats on the low fee for all 3 lines! Thats awesome!
    03-05-08 12:45 PM
    nice job! and you'll be missed!
    03-05-08 01:28 PM
    wow! great job! as long as you get a berry and stay here w/ us!

My two cents, forget the contract and just pay full price for your phones. If you do the math, the end result is usually a $10 a month savings or less with no fees to terminate. That's what I prefer to do with any carrier regardless of discount. The freedom and peace of mind is better that way. They can't obligate you sign a contract they just try to push it. Just some advice for any future switches.
    this is a good idea. i will keep this in mind in the future.
    03-05-08 01:39 PM
    wow! great job! as long as you get a berry and stay here w/ us!

this is a good idea. i will keep this in mind in the future.
    I'll be getting a Curve. I love having a berry and the only downside to the 8830 WE is the very low volume. After having a horrible Motorola Q and a Treo, a berry is the only way to go.
    03-05-08 02:07 PM
    OMG thank you so much for posting that. I have wanted to move to ATT for a long time, but didn't want to pay the fees on three lines. I called and now have my account noted that I am canceling service due to text message increase, and no early termination fees will be charged on any of my three lines. It was so simple. Thanks, now I can get a curve!!!
    03-05-08 05:57 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD