11-17-09 05:54 PM
38 12
tools
    Hey guys, i have a confusing question that hopefully someone can answer.

I just called Verizon Customer Support, and asked them a few questions about the lines that i currently have active. One of the questions left me somewhat confused and in a way worried about what might happen.

See, i know this is considered unethical, but i'm trying to get a Droid. I hate my Storm very very much so, so i want to do something about it.

Here's what i was going to do. I have a line through Verizon right now that has been active since Christmas of last year. I was going to pay the ETF on that line which is $125, and add a new line of service to my family share plan with a new two year contract and get the droid at a lower price.

But, the Verizon rep said this would be breach of contract and that she would strongly advise against it. What does this entail? What could the repercussions be from doing this? I don't see how it's a bad thing if i'm willing to pay an ETF AND agree to a new two year contract? I understand they're losing money from me not paying for it outright, but right now i have the ability add a new line of service and get the phone without paying any ETFs. At least i'm doing that much.

If someone could explain to me what Breach of contract can cause, and anything else concerning this, i would greatly appreciate it.

Also, i know that people will suggest to forget the idea and pay full retail, but the problem is it's a Christmas gift. it's not my decision, and paying $559 for a phone isn't an option right now. I'd rather pay less, and have a new contract with the new ETF that i'll actually honor for the whole time period.

Any help would be appreciated.
    11-16-09 06:32 PM
    Forgive me for being blunt, but, if you have access to the internet you could always search, but I guess it is easier to have someone else search for you.

Breach of contract - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Breach of contract: Definition from Answers.com

And what your doing is classified as churn. Once again you can search this. I recommend you do actually.
    11-16-09 06:44 PM
    Thank you. The reason i posted on here was simply to ask how it effects Verizon customers.

And my question isn't necessarily about what breach of contract means. It's more of what can come from it if i choose to cancel one line and add another?

That's what i need to know. And i looked through the customer agreement again, and did some searching, but it's not as insightful as the people on here that work for Verizon, or know more about their policies and tendencies.
    Last edited by xMx Reaper xMx; 11-16-09 at 06:57 PM.
    11-16-09 06:50 PM
    Honestly if you did this, Verizon really could not do anything. You paid your ETF and you would have to pay for an activation fee again, pay for the phone, sign a new agreement etc. You would have to add the line first, then disconnect, otherwise Verizon will just re-activate your deactivated line.
    11-16-09 06:59 PM
    That's what i was thinking.

Because i'm paying to cancel the contract. I'm paying an activation fee. I'm paying for the new phone. And i'm agreeing to a new 2-year contract under their new ETF program. How can this really cause that bad of a situation? I don't understand how it's breach of contract, because it's as though i were going to another carrier. I'm just choosing to keep my service with them.
    11-16-09 07:03 PM
    You'd be fine. It's just called false churn and if the rep does it knowingly he'd get fired.
    11-16-09 07:12 PM
    So, if i were to call in and order the Droid and add the line to my account and everything at the beginning of December, and then say on or after Christmas cancel the other line everything would be fine?

Thank you, i really appreciate all of your help.
    11-16-09 07:14 PM
    Yes, legally.

However, you really should try to find someone to take over the line you want to disconnect. That saves you the ETF too. Called an assumption of liability.
    11-16-09 07:15 PM
    Why not call and see if they will let you upgrade to the Droid I have had my Storm just one month longer than you, and they offered me a upgrade to the Storm 2 or the Droid. This way you can cut back on a lot of work.
    11-16-09 07:16 PM
    actually, that was going to be my next question. The rep said about the possibility of doing this. Now if i were to do it, what would the process entail? Seeing as how i will only have 12 months left on my contract in december, it would be the same price as the ETF, if i had someone else take the contract and active a dumb phone on it. correct?

Edit: brothamoveson, i've tried that a couple of times now. And each time they just say i have to pay full retail, and that's it. It's really frustrating actually, what did you say exactly to get them to do that?
    11-16-09 07:17 PM
    I actually received a email from them offering the upgrade. If you have been a good customer I would call back and escalate it to a higher power or just do the dummy phone thing on that line and then add a new line.
    11-16-09 07:24 PM
    actually, that was going to be my next question. The rep said about the possibility of doing this. Now if i were to do it, what would the process entail? Seeing as how i will only have 12 months left on my contract in december, it would be the same price as the ETF, if i had someone else take the contract and active a dumb phone on it. correct?

You would just call and say, "I authorize <insert name here> to take over my XXX-XXX-XXX MTN." They would call and say "I'd like to take over this account --" You would then have to give that person the phone, mdn, everything. If they want to change to a dumbphone that they already have that's fine.

If they offer you an early upgrade you would get the upgrade, which would extend your contract, but you said it was a gift? So you would be with your old phone still.
    11-16-09 07:49 PM
    no it would be a gift for myself, see this is being done for me by my parents, and i'm trying to figure out the easiest, best way to do it. because i'm still on my parents account. But i have access to it, and can make account changes.
    11-16-09 08:34 PM
    ETF $125
    Lose your #.

New Line:
    $35 Act Fee
    $199.99 for Phone + Tax (If you're in CA or NV the tax is $50).
    New Phone #
    New Contract
    You're looking at approx $400.

Blackberry storm 9530 unlocked

You could probably sell your storm, depending on condition for $150-$200 and just buy it full retail price.
    Last edited by Weekendbum; 11-16-09 at 09:44 PM.
    11-16-09 09:42 PM
    if you're at 1 year in December, why not just upgrade at the 1 year price?

cheaper than this scheme is
    11-16-09 10:51 PM
    if you're at 1 year in December, why not just upgrade at the 1 year price?

cheaper than this scheme is
    because i signed a two year agreement, so i'm not eligible until august of 2010.

Edit: and i can't sell the Storm because it's not unlocked, and it has massive water damage. It fell out of my pocket into a puddle, and is pretty decimated. I have insurance, but instead of paying the $90 deductible i'm just going to get a new phone and keep it as a backup or recycle it or donate it or something.
    11-16-09 10:55 PM
    You're not going to save much, if anything by doing this.
    11-16-09 10:57 PM
    I don't understand how i won't.

$199.99 maximum for the phone. Tax on that is $11.99. $35 activation fee. $120 ETF.

So that's $366.98.

which is $200 cheaper than buying it outright.
    11-16-09 11:00 PM

$199.99 maximum for the phone. Tax on that is $11.99. $35 activation fee. $120 ETF.

So that's $366.98.

when you hit your 1 year, it's easy as **** to talk them into letting you buy a phone at the 1 year price
    11-16-09 11:04 PM
    It seems that everyone but me has good luck with getting Verizon reps. haha. All of the ones i talk to are by the book, and very strict. Which i understand, just i never get any leeway towards an early upgrade.
    11-16-09 11:06 PM

So that's $366.98.

You're going to reset your contract, lose your #, lose whatever tenure you had on that line. You could sell your storm for $200 and do the same thing, keep your upgrade date & number.. not worry about disconnecting/reconnecting lines. /shrug.

Edit: I saw your edit regarding the water damage, I guess you're only saving $90 to do this then.

I'm lazy, to do all this work I would rather just pay the $90 lol.

Double Edit: If you file an insurance claim and get a brand new phone, you could sell it for more than $200 on ebay or craigslist if it's sealed in the box.
    11-16-09 11:21 PM
    I understand where you're going with this. But honestly, that isn't a big deal to me. I don't care about my number whatsoever. I truly feel i'll be happy with the Droid for long enough to where i can handle two years. Although i'm considering going with a one year contract. And my Storm is water damaged. So, it's kind of my only option.

But thank you for all of my help, i really appreciate it. And i believe i'll end up doing a change of liability.
    11-16-09 11:25 PM
    umm........
    yes....? haha.
    11-17-09 12:16 AM

So that's $366.98.

Any money you'll be "saving" you going to spend in the $10 (12-13 after taxes and fees) that you are adding to your account by adding a new line.
    11-17-09 12:45 AM
    Maybe she meant "breach of contract" as in breaching your contract by cancelling it. But if that's the case you should just get nailed with the etf and be able to add a new line no problem.
    11-17-09 12:48 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD