08-04-09 08:55 AM
41 12
tools
    I purchased my curve back in May when it was released. Unfortunately, it got damaged over the weekend, so I called verizon and bought a new one (not an insurance replacement). I received the new one today and noticed that the screen looks quite different. It's hard to explain but the color of the LCD has a very noticeable greenish/gray tint to it. I've attached a picture but it was hard to get a shot straight on that would clearly show the difference. Pictures of people on my original curve looked pretty much true to life, while pictures on the new curve looked green. Does anyone know if all the screens have changed? I would like to replace my original phone but will just live with the damage and return the new one if all the new curves have this greenish screen. Thanks.
    Last edited by ericucla; 08-07-08 at 05:46 AM.
    08-07-08 05:43 AM
    You definately should take it to VZ to see what they think.
    08-07-08 06:26 AM
    Thanks, will do that first thing. I vaguely recall looking at a friend's curve that was newer and thinking the screen looked different. I'm just hoping that they are not all like that.
    08-07-08 06:32 AM
    odd, since you still have the old one, do a search and see the production date on both phones. Its possible that the new one you just bought could be a early release model and was stuck on the shelf for a while. OR Mr. UPS/FEDEX had a very warm truck and the screen got discolored. (happend to my LG Chocolate when i left it in the car)
    08-07-08 06:58 AM
    Unless they are aliens, people should not look green on your screen

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-08 07:18 AM
    Is there a factory cling still on the screen? If not I would suspect some kind of defect. It looks almost as if looking at it with green tinted glasses.

08-07-08 11:33 AM
    So, I went to the Verizon store. All the curves they had on display had the same greenish tint to the screen. They even pulled out a new one and it was the same.

The manager came out and agreed that my screen did look better. So, I returned the new phone and am keeping my damaged one.

I'm guessing RIM changed the supplier of the screen or something since the first batch of phones. I have 3 other friends who bought the curve when it came out and all our screens are the same.

I'm gonna try and call RIM to see what I can find out. In the meantime, I guess I'll look around to see if I can have the damaged parts replaced.
    08-07-08 07:14 PM
    Check inside the battery compartment. I bet your original one is made in Canada and the others are made in Mexico.
    08-07-08 10:42 PM
    Funny that you noticed a difference in the screens, because I also needed to replace a curve and the newer one was not as bright as my original one. I did what you did, I kept the old one. I wanted the brightest screen.
    08-07-08 11:17 PM
    Just thinking out loud here, but could it be a software setting thats not user adjustable? Just like monitors and tv's have green/blue color adjustments, I wonder if maybe this is an adjustment that can only be made at the factory? Maybe some quality assurance person somewhere thought the blue tint was too strong and dialed it down a bit. Like I said, I'm just guessing, I have no idea what goes into the programming of these things.
    08-07-08 11:35 PM
    This happened with my 8820, eventually it will go away
    08-08-08 12:40 AM
    If you take the bb to any vz store they will replace it with a new one becuase its still under warantee and before you leave the store you can check the bb on the spot (just make sure you bring your recipt)

08-08-08 02:49 AM
    I just ordered mine online and it doesn't have a greenish tint. that's really weird, especially since all of them had it.
    08-08-08 10:45 AM
    You can definitely see the difference.

We have two Curves in our house, purchased almost exactly a month apart. No green screens here on either one. Keyboard backlights look different, but screens are the same...no greenish hues.
    08-08-08 11:59 AM
    If you post in this thread about your screen color or quality it would be great if you could include where your BB was made. Canada or Mexico?
    08-08-08 09:08 PM
    mine has a greenish tint, wish it didn't though
    08-08-08 10:16 PM
    mine has a greenish tint, wish it didn't though
    Where was it made? If you need instructions on how to take your battery cover off, I can post a link.
    08-09-08 01:23 AM
    I'm glad to have sparked some interest in this topic. My phone was made in canada. Has the original white screen, no greenish tint. I didn't take a look at where the green screen ones were made. My guess is that RIM started ordering screens from a cheaper supplier to cut costs. The new screen does not match up to the same quality as the original screen, so my theory can make sense. I think we need to try and get an answer from RIM as to why the new screen doesn't look up to par.

Another thing I noticed is that the battery changed a little. The new ones are more squared off on the edges and the label on the battery is smooth. My batter has rounded corners and has a rough feel to the label.
    08-09-08 07:07 AM
    Just thinking out loud here, but could it be a software setting thats not user adjustable? Just like monitors and tv's have green/blue color adjustments, I wonder if maybe this is an adjustment that can only be made at the factory? Maybe some quality assurance person somewhere thought the blue tint was too strong and dialed it down a bit. Like I said, I'm just guessing, I have no idea what goes into the programming of these things.
    This could be a possibility, but given the vast number of phones that have the greenish tint, I think it's more of a hardware issue regarding the screen itself.

If you look at the lights or LEDs at the very top of the screen, there are 5 of them. On the original screens, the LEDs are pure white in color while the screens with green tint have more greener color to the LEDs.
    08-09-08 07:12 AM
    I can almost guarantee you guys that the messed up ones are from Mexico. I've run into similar "quality issues" when I've seen other 8830s that were made in Mexico. The initial phones on release are made in Canada, after a while, they start coming from Mexico. On replacements and even new phones after several months of it being on the market you're almost always guaranteed that it may be in Mexico. As stated above, people need to check where the phones are made if they want to keep the data correct and consistant. If you want to force RIM to make a quality change, then you must present the hard fact that phones made outside of Canada are pure crap. Also, be aware that Asurion issued replacements are made in China... I can only speak for T-Mobile on this, but a Pearl model I saw a client get from Asurion insurance claims was absolute crap. The casing wasn't even OEM, it was cheaper plastic, the LED window wasn't the same size, the screen and keyboard were greenish in backlighting, higher translucency of keyboard keys and actual case (you could see stuff behind it easier because the solid coloring of the case was bad... almost as if they took a clear case and painted it white from the backside). Overall, pure crap.

If you have quality issues with your BB, post where it's made. Let's force RIM to stop offshoring their work because it's causing them issues with quality control.

If I want a tasty pepper I'll go to Mexico, if I want some camel's hump I'll go to China, but for my Blackberries... better get me one from Canada.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 08-09-08 at 12:38 PM.
    08-09-08 12:36 PM
    Where was it made? If you need instructions on how to take your battery cover off, I can post a link.
    yup yup, my blackberry was made in mexico and i think my battery was made in japan. is that correct? the green tint is really only noticeable (to me) when the phone is at an angle. either way, as long as my blackberry's working, i'm a happy camper.
    08-09-08 02:43 PM
    no green tint on mine, made in Canada. I also have the rough label battery. I just got it about 2 weeks ago, was an in store exchange, my first one had bad battery life.
    08-09-08 02:59 PM
    I have an 8330 made in canada. Screen looks good no green tint. My guess too would be quality control. I'm curious to see how this turns out.

08-09-08 04:24 PM
    I have an 8830 made in Mexico and there is definitely a slight green tint when you look at the screen from an angle. Otherwise, I would have never known. It doesn't bother me.

JRSCCivic98, you're right on the Assurion. I have an 8830 from Assurion and if you open the battery cover, it literally looks like they took spray paint and repainted the case. Jeez, if they're going to use spray paint, they should at least keep it on the part that's supposed to be gray. As you also mentioned, the plastic is much lighter and the case isn't even sealed like it should be. At the top where the two pieces of the case come together, there is a good size crack. Complete crap. After inspecting that Asurion phone, I might just cancel my insurance.
    08-09-08 06:49 PM
    I just talked to a friend of mine with a curve. He said his is made in Canada as well and has the white screen.

Personally, I feel the screen is a major part of the phone and I have been very pleased with mine. However, the green LED screens look terrible in comparison and I don't see how it is possible for them to advertise the same 65K color specs given that it is showing to much green.

Perhaps we can try to get this information posted on the main Crackberry site as well as other similar tech sites. If public awareness of this problem increases, hopefully it will force RIM to make some changes.
    08-09-08 08:16 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD