12-28-09 10:12 PM
44 12
tools
    Well, I am not a VZW customer but my mom is. She had me go into a corporate story while she was at work to compare the Droid w/ and BB phones, to see what I felt was best for her (since I know what she likes).

I was sitting at a booth, playing with a Droid. It was sort of near the door. Then, this little old lady walks in (you know, the cute little old lady w/ Q-Tip hair!). She seemed sad and a little upset. VZW rep approaches her and she tells him that she JUST got this prepaid phone 2 weeks ago and she has troubles calling her daughter, and when she calls VZW for help, they keep telling her to add min (for whatever reason), and so she agrees and they take her $$ and add min for her. Now she's at her rope's end because she has 200+ min and she still can't call her daughter. She said it was so expensive and she just doesn't know what to do.

She asked about VZW replacing her prepaid phone, because maybe it's broken. It's only 2 weeks old so it could be fixed for free, right? The VZW rep (grr) didn't even bother trying to troubleshoot it...kept telling her that it was a "bad phone" and she just buy THIS one, which was MUCH expensive and oooo you can text with it.

The woman got sadder and said, no I don't know how to text and I don't have the $$ to get a new phone...the minutes were expensive enough. She just wanted her phone replaced but this god damn rep kept trying to shove this phone down her throat, telling her that these were "complicated phone problems" and they would just all be solved with a new phone and no, she couldn't replace her barely-used phone. She'd have to buy another...and how she would be able to call her daughter if she bought a NEW phone w/ text and internet. Freaking BS.

He was called away and I ended up talking to the woman. I told her that I found that T-Mobile prepaid was cheaper, the phones started at $20 in Walmart, and if she lived in the city, the reception would be fine. Her eyes lit up and we talked about it for a while, and she left a while later, saying she was going to "look at other options." The rep gave me a KILLER look. Like I care. Boo hoo...you can't get commission now for conning a little old lady. Cry me a river.

I have a pet peeve and that is when people take advantage of elders. I don't ******* tolerate it. It makes me sick. There is NO excuse. The guy was obviously trying to make $$ off of this woman, who doesn't know much about phones or their cells. He was taking advantage of that.

If you are a rep (of ANY company, not just VZW) please do NOT do this. It's mean and it's bad karma. How would you like it if someone took advantage of your ignorance on a subject so they could make some $$? *sigh*

Ok, rant over.

Again, I realize that not all reps are like this, I'm angry with the one I saw. So please, please learn from this and don't do it. It makes me a sad panda.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-09 04:47 PM
    Simply put, you don't go to a sales location for service issues.

And you don't know if there was a restriction on one of the phones in the chain, or a routing issue, or some technical issue like an incorrect setting in the account.

For instance, Samsung phones can EASILY block incoming calls, and this is done without intent the vast majority of the time, and is invisible to the user of the phone.
    12-22-09 05:41 PM
    It wasn't just a sales location...it's a huge corporate store with kiosks and such. Tons of customers come in to get their technical problems worked out and to get exchanges done in-store. I had been there before to drop off my mom's phone and they "troubleshooted" it right there in the back. They even have these booths where you sign in with your account and then they "call you up" when it's your turn so they can help you.

I know I may not know the whole "story" but I sure as heck didn't like what I saw. I was betting the problem was that the phone needed to be troubleshooted but the guy didn't offer to see it and fix it. He was just throwing crap at her trying to get her to buy. What a winner.
    12-22-09 06:00 PM
    Ahhh that is sad, poor old lady. She just wanted to call her daughter. I love little grandmas.......xoxoxo
    12-22-09 06:56 PM
    As is the case with any commissioned position, reps will do a lot for a sale... And if you ask any call center rep here, theres nothing more annoying than speaking to a person with a smartphone who has no idea how to use it, but it was poorly recommended to them by a sales rep...
    12-22-09 06:59 PM
    When big retail gets away from the " gun to the head" sales practices they force on their salesmen- they may find more customer loyalty. If you treat every customer as just another home run commission it just gets tougher because there is no trust.. I belive this practice averts sales and it ebbs and flows every couple of years.
    12-22-09 08:36 PM
    Simply put, you don't go to a sales location for service issues.

And you don't know if there was a restriction on one of the phones in the chain, or a routing issue, or some technical issue like an incorrect setting in the account.

For instance, Samsung phones can EASILY block incoming calls, and this is done without intent the vast majority of the time, and is invisible to the user of the phone.
    Sounds like the rep could have got off his lazy *** and call tech if he couldn't figure it out. It kills me when customers call in and say the store gave them the number to call - what kinda service is that? I understand they have a sales job to do, but this is one of the many roles they are required to play.

Unlike store reps, call center reps are held accountable for bs like this.

12-22-09 09:30 PM
    People who try to take advantage of the elderly like that ought to be ashamed of themselves.

12-22-09 11:08 PM
    It kills me when customers call in and say the store gave them the number to call - what kinda service is that?

Of course, customer service phone reps ALWAYS strive for first call resolution, and NEVER EVER dump a customer off with a "just go in to a store", do they?
    12-23-09 06:28 AM
    Of course, customer service phone reps ALWAYS strive for first call resolution, and NEVER EVER dump a customer off with a "just go in to a store", do they?
    Never.

Last edited by bluerskyes; 12-23-09 at 11:21 AM.
    12-23-09 08:05 AM
    Rolling on the floor!
    12-23-09 08:21 AM
    Never.

Yeah that made me laugh pretty hard, I hear people all the time in my store telling me that the service number directed them into my store without calling us to give us a heads up, or puting notes in the account.
    12-23-09 11:26 AM
    Don't sell BlackBerrys, or any phone for that matter, to someone who is clueless when it comes to technology. Hook them up with a nice RAZR, or maybe a Smooth, or if you're really feeling dangerous, maybe a Chocolate 3...
    12-24-09 07:34 AM
    Well, I am not a VZW customer but my mom is. She had me go into a corporate story while she was at work to compare the Droid w/ and BB phones, to see what I felt was best for her (since I know what she likes).

I was sitting at a booth, playing with a Droid. It was sort of near the door. Then, this little old lady walks in (you know, the cute little old lady w/ Q-Tip hair!). She seemed sad and a little upset. VZW rep approaches her and she tells him that she JUST got this prepaid phone 2 weeks ago and she has troubles calling her daughter, and when she calls VZW for help, they keep telling her to add min (for whatever reason), and so she agrees and they take her $$ and add min for her. Now she's at her rope's end because she has 200+ min and she still can't call her daughter. She said it was so expensive and she just doesn't know what to do.

She asked about VZW replacing her prepaid phone, because maybe it's broken. It's only 2 weeks old so it could be fixed for free, right? The VZW rep (grr) didn't even bother trying to troubleshoot it...kept telling her that it was a "bad phone" and she just buy THIS one, which was MUCH expensive and oooo you can text with it.

The woman got sadder and said, no I don't know how to text and I don't have the $$ to get a new phone...the minutes were expensive enough. She just wanted her phone replaced but this god damn rep kept trying to shove this phone down her throat, telling her that these were "complicated phone problems" and they would just all be solved with a new phone and no, she couldn't replace her barely-used phone. She'd have to buy another...and how she would be able to call her daughter if she bought a NEW phone w/ text and internet. Freaking BS.

He was called away and I ended up talking to the woman. I told her that I found that T-Mobile prepaid was cheaper, the phones started at $20 in Walmart, and if she lived in the city, the reception would be fine. Her eyes lit up and we talked about it for a while, and she left a while later, saying she was going to "look at other options." The rep gave me a KILLER look. Like I care. Boo hoo...you can't get commission now for conning a little old lady. Cry me a river.

I have a pet peeve and that is when people take advantage of elders. I don't ******* tolerate it. It makes me sick. There is NO excuse. The guy was obviously trying to make $$ off of this woman, who doesn't know much about phones or their cells. He was taking advantage of that.

If you are a rep (of ANY company, not just VZW) please do NOT do this. It's mean and it's bad karma. How would you like it if someone took advantage of your ignorance on a subject so they could make some $$? *sigh*

Ok, rant over.

Again, I realize that not all reps are like this, I'm angry with the one I saw. So please, please learn from this and don't do it. It makes me a sad panda.

good work artemis.....expose VZW for their dirty reps
    12-24-09 10:12 PM
    I have a pet peeve and that is when people take advantage of elders. I don't ******* tolerate it. It makes me sick. There is NO excuse. ... It's mean and it's bad karma.
    Kudos to you Artemis.

You have a kind heart. Thanks for taking care of that nice lady and reporting your story back.

Both AT&T and Verizon consistently seem far too greedy for my taste.

The "dark side" of capitalism is this pursuit of profit at any cost. As I recall from some of your previous posts, we're both on the same side of the political fence so when we see unchecked corporate greed at its worst, it's not like we are anti-business, it's just that we know that capitalism without character and conscience is not right.

Again, good heart. Merry Christmas to you.
    12-24-09 10:45 PM
    Thanks guys. Hopefully the cute little lady was able to find a different phone that worked and was able to call her daughter.

I'm glad that this thread was pretty well-received.

Happy Holidays.
    12-25-09 02:06 PM
    ya your gonna get blasted because I chimed in .....but to you two I tip my hat.....
    12-25-09 02:18 PM
    Another example of why to avoid corp stores for anything other than demoing a new device.

I've had good store reps, but - like car salespersons - they're really in it for the commission.

Though it sounds as though her problem could have been resolved with a call to 611, she probably doesn't know what that is, and was never informed of such. That's where I personally would have started with her. Resolution through ccare with VZW is exceptional, and she wouldn't have wasted $200 + whatever she spends on T-MO per your advice. But yeah, I don't see anything wrong with your having chimed in on her behalf.
    12-25-09 02:48 PM
    Kudos to you Artemis.

You have a kind heart. Thanks for taking care of that nice lady and reporting your story back.

Both AT&T and Verizon consistently seem far too greedy for my taste.

The "dark side" of capitalism is this pursuit of profit at any cost. As I recall from some of your previous posts, we're both on the same side of the political fence so when we see unchecked corporate greed at its worst, it's not like we are anti-business, it's just that we know that capitalism without character and conscience is not right.

Again, good heart. Merry Christmas to you.
    All companies are greedy. VZW and AT&T don't have a monopoly on that.
    12-25-09 03:33 PM
    What a worthless petaQ!

12-25-09 03:43 PM
    It took me a little bit to get to the point of the OPs post, during the time I was not aware of the point I was thinking to myself what a waste of a post. The I got the moral of the story. Your absolutely correct. I don't believe in taking advantage of anyone let alone our elders. I guess today's business model has become what we despise most, money first then help out.

Seasons greeting to you all, have a joyous day.
    12-25-09 05:48 PM
    I'm not in phone sales or service, but I agree fully that it's very annoying when salespeople sell something to someone they know is going to have a hard time using it or simply doesn't need the features. Especially when they know that they aren't going to be the ones who have to help the person try to use it.

I'm a contractor for the cable company and I get it all the time. I get to the house of a little old lady and ask her which tv she wants her DVR on and she's clueless to what it even is. One time I told the lady "it records tv for you" and she asked me "well where do you put in the tape?" Lol.
    12-25-09 06:07 PM
    That is f**ked up on so many levels -

That representive should be fired cause any professional representive would try and work with the customer to trouble shoot the issue and if all else fail resort to trying to getting a new phone or atleast replacing the phone she has for a newer one of the same model and version so that she won't have to pay again

Yah clearly that ***** was looking to get comission off of a innocent sweet old lady...that ain't right...that would **** me off...I woulda stepped up and said something if I saw that myself...I would cut his *** off and said something. Cause I use to work in that kinda environment...that is not right. AM glad you did what you did and let him glare at you all he want...karma is a biatch and I hope it bites him hard as f**k in da arse at the end of the day and he end up jobless...
    12-25-09 08:15 PM
    That is f**ked up on so many levels -

That representive should be fired cause any professional representive would try and work with the customer to trouble shoot the issue and if all else fail resort to trying to getting a new phone or atleast replacing the phone she has for a newer one of the same model and version so that she won't have to pay again

Yah clearly that ***** was looking to get comission off of a innocent sweet old lady...that ain't right...that would **** me off...I woulda stepped up and said something if I saw that myself...I would cut his *** off and said something. Cause I use to work in that kinda environment...that is not right. AM glad you did what you did and let him glare at you all he want...karma is a biatch and I hope it bites him hard as f**k in da arse at the end of the day and he end up jobless...

Wow, looks like someone just O.D.'ed on Christmas spirit.
    12-25-09 08:30 PM
    Wow, looks like someone just O.D.'ed on Christmas spirit.
    This is kinda like the internet email of the kid who had cancer....no real way of verifying anything.
    12-25-09 08:51 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD