My Pearl recently decided to die on me so a friend gave me his 'old' Boost Mobile 8330. What I want to know is if it is possible to get the phone activated on the Verizon network. The in-store reps told me flat out, no. However, I know others have activated carrier specific phones on other networks and as Boost Mobile is also CDMA I see no reason why it shouldn't be possible. After trying the in-store route I tried the 'Activate Phone' option in my online account but that keeps giving me a try again error. Could I just call customer support and have them add it? And if so, how does the tower information on the phone get updated? Any help is appreciated, I really need a phone!
    06-08-10 01:33 PM
    VZW will not allow phones from other carriers to be activated on their network. You could try looking for a used VZW branded device on Craigslist or eBay.
    06-08-10 01:47 PM
    Here is what I found in the FAQ's for your concern.
    Can I use an existing phone with Verizon Wireless service?

Yes, if it is e911-capable, was branded for Verizon Wireless by the manufacturer, and is compatible with your plan or one of our currently-offered plans. Please call customer service to determine compatibility.
    06-08-10 01:53 PM
    I realize they don't want you to use a non-Verizon branded phone on their network, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of getting a non-Verizon phone on the network anyways. The hardware is the same, the only difference is software and a little decal. Maybe if I installed Verizon's OS and scraped off the decal?
    06-08-10 02:35 PM
    I realize they don't want you to use a non-Verizon branded phone on their network, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of getting a non-Verizon phone on the network anyways. The hardware is the same, the only difference is software and a little decal. Maybe if I installed Verizon's OS and scraped off the decal?
    No. They will not do it. What supermario28 posted was from the VZW website. You need to find a Verizon branded device.

Scraping off decals and changing software makes no difference. Verizon uses a database of ESN numbers. Only devices with their branding are included in their database. If the ESN is from a different carrier, they will know, and they will not let you use it.
    Last edited by lak611; 06-08-10 at 02:38 PM.
    06-08-10 02:36 PM
    Please refer to the posters above, there is NO way you will get a non-Verizon phone onto Verizon's network, ever, not gonna happen. There may have been rumors of people getting a Verizon phone on a different network, but there has never been a case where a non-Verizon phone has been on the Verizon network.

Once again, it's NOT going to happen. The only thing you can do is sell it and buy a Verizon branded phone.
    06-08-10 02:39 PM
    Alright, I'm convinced. I really appreciate the info guys, thank you for all the help!
    06-08-10 03:22 PM
    I have never done this, but why couldn't you get an unlock code for the phone and then install VZW OS?
    06-09-10 10:09 AM
    Unlocking refers to opening up the SIM slot to be used on any GSM carrier. Verizon doesn't use SIM cards and is a CDMA carrier. So unlocking would do nothing. As was said above, Verizon uses the ESN/IMEI number from the device to activate it on their network, so if that number isn't in their database then they won't activate it. The OS you're using has nothing to do with it at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by ridesno159; 06-09-10 at 10:18 AM.
    06-09-10 10:16 AM
    As stated above, unlocking deals with the SIM card...which the 8330 doesn't have. So that is mute. You could even flash the Verizon 8330 OS, but it's the ESN that wouldn't be allowed in Verizon's system.
    06-09-10 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD