03-17-09 01:10 AM
139 ... 23456
tools
    Hmm by many many others throughout these forums. Also by you in the ask the a VZW forum. That I answered over there as well. question was just a bit generic there.
    02-20-09 08:39 PM
    im still trying to understand why its looks like the 8900 and not the 9000 becasue i love the 9000 and hate the look of the 8900
    02-22-09 09:48 PM
    im still trying to understand why its looks like the 8900 and not the 9000 becasue i love the 9000 and hate the look of the 8900
    Because it is a different phone. Because BOLD was designed for AT&T. Because after the Bold was released they found out that the back doors came off to easily.

Whatever they exact reason, they are different. I'm sorry you don't like that but wading in denial wont help. If it bothers you that much then I guess you will have to go over to AT&T or another GSM carrier and get an Unlocked 9000.
    02-23-09 01:21 AM
    heyy guys i need some help. im able to get a update and im thinking about getting the storm. however, i heard all these rumors that verizon getting niagara and the new curve and i asked a guy at a verizon store and of course he said he didnt know anything of it and recommended that i get the storm. my friend has the storm and she likes it more every day. idk if i should get the storm or just wait. what do you guys think?
    02-24-09 12:10 PM
    heyy guys i need some help. im able to get a update and im thinking about getting the storm. however, i heard all these rumors that verizon getting niagara and the new curve and i asked a guy at a verizon store and of course he said he didnt know anything of it and recommended that i get the storm. my friend has the storm and she likes it more every day. idk if i should get the storm or just wait. what do you guys think?
    If you can wait until May/June, I would wait. If you can't and are happy with the touch-screen interface, you won't go wrong with a Storm. Othewise, the Curve is solid and, right now, rather inexpensive or even free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 03:44 PM
    What do people think the new BB will run for though (pricewise)? i really like the look of the bold and i've been waiting for verizon to make a copy-cat but im curious what its going to sell for...
    02-24-09 04:44 PM
    This is just speculation but i would say:

$199-$299 for the Niagara (probably closer to $299)
    $199 for the New Curve
    $149 for the Pearl Flip

This is based off of At&t and T Mobile pricing for similar devices.
    02-24-09 06:22 PM
    I just got a Curve in the fall but the Bold is so powerful that I want it. I can't justify buying it though. I'll keep my sweet Curve until my NE2 rolls around next year and I'll snag a new BB.
    02-25-09 11:19 AM
    well everyone keep talking about how the new BB thats comming to verizon is the CDMA BOLD but that it looks more the 8900 hmm oh well I think I will just take the wait and see attitude as hard as it may be I have been driving myself crazy reading all of the articles that are saying what it is going to be and when its comming out and then only to read the next article that says something totally different
    02-25-09 12:04 PM
    I believe the Niagara is a hybrid, BUT it has the processor of the bold, and it's 3G, it just has the form factor of the 8900. I believe it will be numbered 9030 (same series as the GSM Bold)
    02-25-09 12:19 PM
    I was going to wait till May/June for the Bold or Curve 2 but needed to replace my phone sooner than expected. On a plus side it will give Verizon time to work out any OS issues they have with the phone on their network.
    02-25-09 12:51 PM
    idk bout yall, but i'm not too happy about vzw's bold coming without the leather back. i think they should have just made that one more secure, but kept it looking the same.
    02-25-09 12:57 PM
    I honestly think the images & models keep getting mixed up. Couple that with some less than skilled Photoshop work (my grandson even noticed the images are all 'shopped) and you get some confusion.

I've played with the Bold. Several of them, in fact - some brand new & others after a few weeks of use. They are like RIM meets Fisher-Price except the toys are better made. They creak, rattle and simply feel cheap. Several complaints of this nature have been recorded all over the Internet, including some here @ CB. The leatherette battery door reminds me of American "luxury" cars of the seventies - fake wood & plastic chrome. Lounge lizard in a leisure suit comes to mind.

Those "Bold" images are more than likely modified Curve2 pix or an electronic melding of a Bold & Curve2.

Regardless, if RIM doesn't improve their QC on these or if VZW doesn't demand a few changes to the Bold, I will be looking for the Curve2. The CDMA version should be fully 3G unlike the GSM models.

And, if the quality of the Curve2 is no better than the Bold? I'll stay with what I have or... hello WinMo.

It just seems RIM has been moving too far down-market. I like nicer things and don't like typing on a Flexi-Flyer.

02-25-09 01:47 PM
    My first Bold had a back that would not stay on (exchanged it the next day). The whole back is held on by two tiny and one larger clasp and a latch that if you bump it the wrong way it pops right off. I keep a silicone case on it specifically to prevent this.

The Niagara is an improvement, IMHO, assuming it is latched on the same way as the Storm that sucker will stay on easily
    02-27-09 02:43 AM
    What do people think the new BB will run for though (pricewise)? i really like the look of the bold and i've been waiting for verizon to make a copy-cat but im curious what its going to sell for...
    Given what this sucker can do I'm gonna guess $299 with a two year agreement. I may be wrong and it could be higher or lower but I think that's probably about right.
    02-27-09 03:03 AM
    This may all be a moot discussion, considering the news posted on pincrackboyhowardberry.com

WASHINGTON Feb 27, 2009 12:01A

In what is bound to shake up the mobile telephone industry, Research In Motion (RIM) and Motorola have both agreed to government takeovers in anticipation of reduced earnings and higher taxes. According to sources who requested anonymity, the newly formed government entity is expected to be called RIMola.

Spokespersons from both companies stated that all planned product releases have been stopped and most current product lines will be produced for the next 30 days before being discontinued. Two new devices will be introduced, in an effort to streamline costs and maximize revenue.

The first of these new products is a folding flip-type of phone with minimal features. The StarTACky will not include a camera so as to reduce the chances it could be used against government officials found in compromising positions. It will include a feature that locks the device if the owner has not paid their taxes or has been critical of elected officials.

A more advanced smartphone-type of device, expected to be called the BarneyfrankinBerry, will be offered within the next 60 days and will be available only to elected officials and their apointees. The new 'Berry, in the spirit of the old BlackBerrys, will be full-featured device with Web browsing, push email, and the ability to handle attachments as well as music files. The new device will add some extra twists not found in other devices. It will be able to display over-the-air and cable television broadcasts and will include a fully functional AM/FM/XM/HD radio. Added benefits include automatic locating and recording of all broadcasts critical of public officials as well as a device feature that assists in picking the pockets of all citizens in range of the voting precinct. It will also be equipped with an application that will automatically skim money from bank accounts, trust funds and estates.

The StarTACky will retail for $2995 with heavy government subsidies for those who refuse to work. The BarneyfrankinBerry will be sold under government contracts at a billed rate of $6000 per unit.

Call your wireless carrier for additional information and service options.

Carlos Chainyanker and Melanie Legpuller contibuted to this report - RotoReuters News Services 2009

Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 02-27-09 at 09:38 PM.
    02-27-09 11:18 AM
    LOL!! Made my day. :-)

02-27-09 12:58 PM
    LOL!! Made my day. :-)
    So, did you call to place your order yet?

02-27-09 03:20 PM
    How "significantly" different? I was told it'd look very similar, but be smaller in form.
    yea im confused about this too...could some one please explain
    02-27-09 09:35 PM
    yea im confused about this too...could some one please explain
    The only confusion comes from the "images" put out on the fanboy sites.

Any CDMA Bold will be no different than the GSM Bold, save for minor things. like what we see between the current Curve lineup. Different colors & maybe a slightly different faceplate. There are some slightly more reliable reports that that atrocious leatherette battery cover & the bezel are set to be redesigned, as the current ones are really crummy.

The same thing will happen with the Curve2. If both come to CDMA, again, minor differences.

Before the 8330 came along, there were all kinds of reports that it would be dramatically different than the 8300-10-20 (mostly coming from the rumor fabricator BGR.) Check it out - the faceplate & control buttons were tweaked. Some dramatic difference.

The favorite image was reportedly picked up from here & circulated by BGR, with credit being sent back to CB. I've not seen that image here except as linked back to other sites. It is a stretched & poorly shopped Bold/Curve2 mishmash. Run it through some basic image analysis and you'll find no fewer than four images used for the makeup of that so-called CDMA Bold.

I think my grandkids could run Photoshop better.
    02-27-09 09:47 PM
    I got an alert on viigo, said sprint would get it in may, and verizon is getting before sprint.

I read it quickly, is this accurate? I think it said it was official, not sure

02-28-09 07:13 PM
    Nothing to substantiate this from the VZW end at this time.
    02-28-09 07:18 PM
    I dont' see that happening, atleast no time soon. Even though GSM is the global standard. A sim card seems like a step back to me, and CDMA is faster and has better signal then GSM in my experience with both technologies. Also, CDMA phones don't cause "buzzing" when near a radio or TV...lol
    In fact, VZW WILL be going to GSM as early as later this year.
    It will be rolling out in selected cities.....a much much faster version of GSM called LTE.

02-28-09 09:59 PM
    I dont' see that happening, atleast no time soon. Even though GSM is the global standard. A sim card seems like a step back to me, and CDMA is faster and has better signal then GSM in my experience with both technologies. Also, CDMA phones don't cause "buzzing" when near a radio or TV...lol
    VZW is going to GSM. Later this yr. they are rolling out LTE in some cities. It is very fast. But it is a form of GSM, ,not CDMA.

sorry for the double post
    02-28-09 10:05 PM
    VZW is going to GSM. Later this yr. they are rolling out LTE in some cities. It is very fast. But it is a form of GSM, ,not CDMA.
    Not even close. It is more akin to WiMax. You do not want GSM. It puts out 10 times the radiation, is limited bandwidth, has horrible latency issues, is easily cloned, is incapable of soft handoffs between cells.. It is WWII technology.

No matter what you've read on the fansites, LTE shares a lot with CDMA & very little with GSM.

The only part of your statement that is accurate is the part where VZW is rolling out GSM.

02-28-09 10:46 PM
139 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD