03-17-09 02:10 AM
139 12345 ...
tools
    Note the dimensions onthe box. 115 x 65 x 13. The curve is 107 x61 x 15. So the niagra is 8mm longer (thats 1/3"), 4mm wider (1/6"), and 2mm thinner. So just a tad longer, and at 1/6" wider, not sure you can feel that. I think this is smaller than the bold, which looks huge, but when I played with it at an att store, was not bad at all. I keep my phone in my pocket, so was concerned about this, but not anymore. Did notice however, that the new phone web site with the photoshopped stretched bold says sept release for sprint/tmob/vzw. Don't believe this as tmob device is not cdma, and wouldn't be part of this release.
    Well first of all I think you read it wrong. The dimensions are 113.5x63x14. Second, that is a prototype model that could have changed. Remember that ONE picture has been out since May 2008. A lot could have changed since then.
    01-20-09 07:57 PM
    So yes it will probably be a tad bigger which is not the issue for me the width is what I am the most worried about and even if it were as wide as the Storm it would be okay.

Bold is huge but you get used to it.
    01-20-09 08:02 PM
    george, you are right about reading it wrong, hit reply with quotes, and it doesn't show picture w dimensions, tried to remember. So I am off, but now compared to the curve its, 6mm longer (1/4" inch, about half your thumbnail), 2mm wider (which is 1/12")! VZWRocka, you say the bold is huge, but if it's actually the size in the picture, if you have a curve, you won't even be able to feel that it's bigger!
    01-20-09 09:27 PM
    sprints getting it first hahahaha hahahha hahaha
    01-20-09 09:32 PM
    sprints getting it first hahahaha hahahha hahaha
    Proof? I can wait a week anyway..
    01-20-09 09:34 PM
    Proof? I can wait a week anyway..
    cause Verizon got the storm and sprint is releasing the bold i heard in march or end of march

and my sources are pretty good
    01-20-09 09:41 PM
    VZWRocka, you say the bold is huge, but if it's actually the size in the picture, if you have a curve, you won't even be able to feel that it's bigger!
    I'm not sure what you are asking me. The Bold is the larges (width wise) of any current BB device. It really takes getting sued to talking on. The Niagara appears to be more or less the size of the storm which, while not as nice as the Curve, is a bit easier to hold.
    01-20-09 10:00 PM
    cause Verizon got the storm and sprint is releasing the bold i heard in march or end of march

and my sources are pretty good
    Verizon is a major carrier while Sprint, once was but is now a budget carrier. If hey do get it first it will be a matter of days most likely and as I recall last year they were supposed to bet Curve first but then VZW suprised everyone and had it a day earlier.
    01-20-09 10:02 PM
    Especially with the whole alltell merger which means a bigger piece of the pie for RIM
    01-21-09 12:39 AM
    Especially with the whole alltell merger which means a bigger piece of the pie for RIM
    Yep and an updated BB would be added "incentive" to get many Alltell users to "upgrade" to VZW and their plans.
    01-21-09 12:41 AM
    I am trying to figure out how any of this would mean a bigger piece of the pie for RIM or why any upgrade would be needed for the Alltel merger...

Both carriers used basically the same phones, including BlackBerry devices. If I combine 70 million with 10 million, I still get 80 million customers, right? So the pie didn't get bigger. And since I was able to use an Alltel branded CDMA device on the VZW (or Sprint) network, why would I need to upgrade anything? Isn't an 8330 an 8330?

Qwest customers didn't have to upgrade their CDMA phones after the merger and there was no rush to BlackBerry devices by Qwest customers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-09 03:11 PM
    The biggest thing is there probably wouldn't be an alltel branded 9030, forcing upgraders to go to a (likely) more expensive verizon plan.

01-21-09 04:49 PM
    I am trying to figure out how any of this would mean a bigger piece of the pie for RIM or why any upgrade would be needed for the Alltel merger...

Both carriers used basically the same phones, including BlackBerry devices. If I combine 70 million with 10 million, I still get 80 million customers, right? So the pie didn't get bigger. And since I was able to use an Alltel branded CDMA device on the VZW (or Sprint) network, why would I need to upgrade anything? Isn't an 8330 an 8330?

Qwest customers didn't have to upgrade their CDMA phones after the merger and there was no rush to BlackBerry devices by Qwest customers.

They don't "need" an incentive, but that does not mean it could not be used as one. As for the rest, it's good that they let them keep their handsets, I always knew it was possible but wasn't aware they actually let them if they moved to newer plans for for them :-)

I think the bigger piece of the pie comment was that VZW+Alltell are a lot lot bigger than Sprint.
    01-23-09 04:20 AM
    Any chance RIM will release this AS the Niagara instead of a CDMA BOLD? It's curious that it is so different that the current BOLD whereas other models don't stray nearly this far from any other model provided to different carriers.
    You make a good point about Verizon differentiating their version of the Bold, but I would be very surprised if they released it as the Niagara. Everyone knows what the Bold is and it has a great reputation already. "Niagara" is a very awkward word that has no branding yet. Unless they were going full speed on branding this phone the way they did with the Storm, they would be smart to stick with "Bold."
    01-23-09 06:08 PM
    You make a good point about Verizon differentiating their version of the Bold, but I would be very surprised if they released it as the Niagara. Everyone knows what the Bold is and it has a great reputation already. "Niagara" is a very awkward word that has no branding yet. Unless they were going full speed on branding this phone the way they did with the Storm, they would be smart to stick with "Bold."
    Niagara is RIM's internal code name so it is unlikely to be released under that name (notice Thunder => Storm; Kickstart => Perl Flip), but it's equally unlikely that they will use the BOLD name since the phone design is different and the specs are upgraded (camera, anyway)
    01-24-09 02:35 AM
    They don't "need" an incentive, but that does not mean it could not be used as one. As for the rest, it's good that they let them keep their handsets, I always knew it was possible but wasn't aware they actually let them if they moved to newer plans for for them :-)
    As an added comment, from my experience, Alltel customers won't be forced to change to VZW plans - at least not in the near term. Typically VZW allows them to keep a plan until they want to change (or are disconnected for non-payment.) If they want to change plans, they can - but only to a VZW plan.
    01-24-09 06:45 PM
    I heard from Verizon store phone techs that it is supposed to be out by June 2009.
    01-24-09 07:14 PM
    I'm up for a new Berry next year. I'm not drawn towards the touch screen so the Bold or possibly the new Curve will be my choice.

01-24-09 08:16 PM
    This is more or less what the press release said.

As an added comment, from my experience, Alltel customers won't be forced to change to VZW plans - at least not in the near term. Typically VZW allows them to keep a plan until they want to change (or are disconnected for non-payment.) If they want to change plans, they can - but only to a VZW plan.
    Yeah that's how it usually works, and legally they actually have to honor the existing contract terms for at least the term of the contract, but most carriers let you keep your plan for at least as long as you use the same phone, but sometimes when you get a new phone it is "incompatible" in the system with the older plans and a plan switch is required but hopefully VZW will take good care of these ALltell people.
    01-24-09 09:17 PM
    to me it looks like an 8900 cause the charger place is different on the bold its on the left side and this one is on the right..looks to small to be a bold the keyboard should be bigger the 8900 keyboard this keyboard in the picture is a 8900 keyboard, the send and end are also smaller then the bold
    02-19-09 03:42 PM
    Ah I hope its may.... Can't wait!

02-19-09 03:44 PM
    to me it looks like an 8900 cause the charger place is different on the bold its on the left side and this one is on the right..looks to small to be a bold the keyboard should be bigger the 8900 keyboard this keyboard in the picture is a 8900 keyboard, the send and end are also smaller then the bold
    It's a new design that is a hybrid of the Bold, Curve, and Storm designs. As long as it has Bold's specs and is not quite as big I will be thrilled. And from what CX has said it does just that.
    02-19-09 11:33 PM
    Verizon will most likley release the device at MOST 2-3 weeks after Sprint. I would expect same date release, or at least within a few days.
    so then when will sprint be releasing the niagara
    02-20-09 08:52 PM
    so then when will sprint be releasing the niagara
    No need to post the same type questions all over the forums. It is agaist poilicy. Post once and you will get your answers. BTW welcome to CB
    02-20-09 09:01 PM
    No need to post the same type questions all over the forums. It is agaist poilicy. Post once and you will get your answers. BTW welcome to CB
    so then would you like to show me where this question was asked...i cant find it
    02-20-09 09:24 PM
139 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD