03-17-09 01:10 AM
139 1234 ...
tools
    SW= South West
    So .. Verizon has released a Bold-a-Like in the Southwestern United States?
    01-18-09 01:58 PM
    Not yet, but when it releases it will be nationwide. The poster of the SW most likely lives and works there. I know of the poster and I am sure of this.
    01-18-09 02:05 PM
    Not yet, but when it releases it will be nationwide. The poster of the SW most likely lives and works there. I know of the poster and I am sure of this.

Anyone know if the Bold released without significant bugs? I sure like that phone.
    01-18-09 03:25 PM
    I wonder how good & fast its going to be, does any one know when its coming & if its going to be as fast as the storm?
    01-19-09 01:42 PM
    As fast as the Storm? Yes. More memory than the Storm or current Bold? Possibly/probably. Redesigned rear case? Hopefully.

The basic form will probably be as close to the GSM Bold as the various 83XX Curves - minor variations like color or keys; just enough to make putting a Bold case on a Niagara impossible.

The best info I can get from my VZW contacts is that it is currently "in testing stage." These contacts may or may not know more than the 611 reps, but I know a couple are closer to the hardware side than most of the nice call center folks. Still, if they know more than they let on (I know they do, but they want to keep their jobs), they aren't giving out details.

A lot of people will blame VZW for all of the "testing" slowing up the release, but this isn't true. RIM (and other manufacturers) test the devices with reports going to VZW (and maybe Sprint) with the carrier verifying the device compatibility. RIM will release final specs & the final form to VZW telling them it is done & ready for shipment on a certain date. VZW then approves the device or returns for final adjustments.

Typically the date is out far enough to where any minor changes don't adversely affect the release. Major changes usually center on quality/durability issues and could delay release - but this is standard in manufacturing and better than selling a bad product.

The major details that VZW may be responsible for are generally put out in the initial product planning stages and wouldn't be responsible for delaying the device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 05:22 PM
    The outside is supposed to be different but the inside specs are expected to be the same other than the camera which will be updated from the 2MP to 3.2MP like the Storm has. It's still running the 4.6 OS which has been doing well on the Bold and certainly they have to make some changes for a CDMA device and upgraded camera but I expect it to be very stable at launch, unlike the Storm and Bold of last year.
    01-19-09 07:09 PM
    A lot of people will blame VZW for all of the "testing" slowing up the release, but this isn't true. RIM (and other manufacturers) test the devices with reports going to VZW (and maybe Sprint) with the carrier verifying the device compatibility. RIM will release final specs & the final form to VZW telling them it is done & ready for shipment on a certain date. VZW then approves the device or returns for final adjustments.

Indeed. Found this, which presents a side-by-side with AT&T and the prototype VZW:

Verizon BlackBerry Bold - New Verizon Cell Phones
    01-19-09 07:10 PM
    Seems like it is going to be a great device. I really like the camera megapixel upgrade. I wished my Bold had a better camera, but it is, what it is.
    01-19-09 07:32 PM
    Indeed. Found this, which presents a side-by-side with AT&T and the prototype VZW:

Verizon BlackBerry Bold - New Verizon Cell Phones
    Those are the same exact devices. One is just branded and vertically stretched a little bit. The Niagara will look significantly different from the 9000.
    01-19-09 07:34 PM
    Those are the same exact devices. One is just branded and vertically stretched a little bit. The Niagara will look significantly different from the 9000.
    How "significantly" different? I was told it'd look very similar, but be smaller in form.
    01-19-09 07:43 PM
    How "significantly" different? I was told it'd look very similar, but be smaller in form.
    Expect it to look something like this:

01-19-09 08:04 PM
    That's already out of date. the camera says 2.0 MP and we know it will be 3.2. The rest seems accurate though.

One commenter there says May 9 (tentative) release. Sounds good to me :-)
    01-19-09 08:13 PM
    That's already out of date. the camera says 2.0 MP and we know it will be 3.2. The rest seems accurate though.

One commenter there says May 9 (tentative) release. Sounds good to me :-)
    BB397 said May would be the latest, so I am optimistic for a early/mid April launch.
    01-19-09 08:38 PM
    BB397 said May would be the latest, so I am optimistic for a early/mid April launch.
    Works for me :-)
    01-19-09 08:48 PM
    i've been reading a lot trying to absorb as much info as possible before asking questions.

Ok, so the Niagara, is VZW's "bold". check

is the Niagara suppose to have all the same features (or better) than the bold, as far as camera and processor?

or is it more comparable with the curve 8900?

i see that in looks its more comparable to the 8900 but what about in features?
    01-20-09 07:12 AM

There does seem to be some Internet confusion between the Javelin (Curve 89XX) and Niagara (Bold).

I think both are coming to CDMA - the $64,000 question is... when?
    01-20-09 07:41 AM
    Correct me if I am wrong, but those pics posted is not the 9xxx but a 89xx series. Either way I am glad Verizon is straying away from the dreaded "silver" Blackberries. The 8830 was a monstrosity.
    01-20-09 09:28 AM
    I'm still waiting for VZW to join the 21st century and go GSM

01-20-09 09:31 AM
    I don't know if this has been spoken already, but your pretty much on with release date. Should be end of Q1 or VERY beginning of Q2. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the first quarter.
    01-20-09 09:32 AM
    I'm still waiting for VZW to join the 21st century and go GSM

I dont' see that happening, atleast no time soon. Even though GSM is the global standard. A sim card seems like a step back to me, and CDMA is faster and has better signal then GSM in my experience with both technologies. Also, CDMA phones don't cause "buzzing" when near a radio or TV...lol
    01-20-09 09:39 AM
    Works for me :-)
    Me too. I love my Curve, and I will love a Bold/Javelin/Niagara even more.
    01-20-09 12:18 PM
    I dont' see that happening, atleast no time soon. Even though GSM is the global standard. A sim card seems like a step back to me, and CDMA is faster and has better signal then GSM in my experience with both technologies. Also, CDMA phones don't cause "buzzing" when near a radio or TV...lol
    I agree with your sentiments.

GSM is old too, and most of the world (including VZW and AT&T) are moving to the new 4G standard LTE in the net few years.
    01-20-09 04:06 PM
    i've been reading a lot trying to absorb as much info as possible before asking questions.

Ok, so the Niagara, is VZW's "bold". check
    Correct.

is the Niagara suppose to have all the same features (or better) than the bold, as far as camera and processor?
    Yes it is supposed to be about the same -- keep in mind nothing official has been released, just leaked early info. The camera is improved, supposedly it will have WiFi but I'm remaining skeptical about that one until we get official specs.

Yes the chassis are more or less the same but understand that the 8900 on GSM is NOT 3G (EDGE only) BUT Niagara and the Curve 8930 will be 3G EVDO-A, or so I've read, so other than being a slightly smaller device (I'm speculating here) they will have the same feature set since they are running OS 4.6.
    01-20-09 04:14 PM
    Me too. I love my Curve, and I will love a Bold/Javelin/Niagara even more.
    Ditto that, speed it up a and give it more memory and I would not even think of replacing it. I love the form factor and the size in my hand. Works great for an everyday device.
    01-20-09 04:16 PM
    Expect it to look something like this:

Note the dimensions onthe box. 115 x 65 x 13. The curve is 107 x61 x 15. So the niagra is 8mm longer (thats 1/3"), 4mm wider (1/6"), and 2mm thinner. So just a tad longer, and at 1/6" wider, not sure you can feel that. I think this is smaller than the bold, which looks huge, but when I played with it at an att store, was not bad at all. I keep my phone in my pocket, so was concerned about this, but not anymore. Did notice however, that the new phone web site with the photoshopped stretched bold says sept release for sprint/tmob/vzw. Don't believe this as tmob device is not cdma, and wouldn't be part of this release.
    01-20-09 06:53 PM
139 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD