08-16-09 08:56 PM
    He's completely incorrect.
    08-16-09 08:58 PM
    He's completely incorrect.
    The odd thing is, he has good feedback, and the people who bought the Verizon Pearls that are different colors (guy also has red ones) say everything works great.
    08-16-09 09:01 PM
    You can chance the faceplate color, it's still the same phone.
    08-16-09 09:11 PM
    You can chance the faceplate color, it's still the same phone.
    That and it says under features that it is unlocked.
    08-16-09 09:41 PM
    That and it says under features that it is unlocked.
    How do you unlock a CDMA phone?
    08-16-09 10:01 PM
    CDMA phones are not locked. Dumb phones are flashed with the carrier's OS, but BlackBerry devices are not. It's controlled by the ESN. So as far as I know any carrier can activate the phone.
    08-16-09 10:07 PM
    How do you unlock a CDMA phone?
    You don't - but many people confuse unlocked & a clear ESN.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-09 10:07 PM
    CDMA phones are not locked. Dumb phones are flashed with the carrier's OS, but BlackBerry devices are not. It's controlled by the ESN. So as far as I know any carrier can activate the phone.
    I see. So could anyone take a Verizon 8130 and activate it on any other CDMA carrier like Telus?
    08-16-09 10:11 PM
    I believe so (don't quote me...I'm not always right ) but it is up to the carrier if they will allow that phone to be activated or not. And we all know what those chances are, lol
    08-16-09 10:15 PM
    Looks like he just used a generic picture of an 8130. Although they did state it is a Blue phone in the description.... Who knows!!
    08-16-09 11:15 PM
    I believe so (don't quote me...I'm not always right ) but it is up to the carrier if they will allow that phone to be activated or not. And we all know what those chances are, lol
    100% correct, as long as the technology matches.

08-17-09 12:41 AM
    I see. So could anyone take a Verizon 8130 and activate it on any other CDMA carrier like Telus?
    Theoretically, yes. The carrier has to clear the ESN with the previous carrier and add the ESN to their list. But yes, it can be done.

For what it's worth, the guy probably just bought a bunch of pearls and modded the casings with spray paint. Either that, or bought new casings and installed them before selling. There are businesses out there that specialize in new casings for assorted electronics. I do warn you that the warranty on those pearls is void if he did that, though.
    08-17-09 01:48 AM
    I do warn you that the warranty on those pearls is void if he did that, though.
    The warranty on any used phone is generally non-existent & shouldn't be depended on anyway.

08-17-09 08:27 AM
    The warranty on any used phone is generally non-existent & shouldn't be depended on anyway.

Very true!
    08-17-09 12:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD