Its a dead horse at this point, but I DO NOT like having random stuff pushed to my phone (Bing. **glares at verizon**). I have my berry setup the way I want it and do not wish to have the carrier push things out to me because they've made a $5 million dollar deal with some XYZ company again. All that being said. How can I block and or filter service books to keep VZWs off the phone.

Thanks,

Ryan
    04-14-10 11:53 AM
    1. Cancel your Verizon service
    2. Get a dumbphone
    3. Get a Droid or Palm (not sure if this will work though, they still might push stuff to you)

If you want a BB then deal with it, all carriers do it not just Verizon. I'm sure you know, but I'll tell you again. You agreed to get stuff pushed to your phone when you signed your contract. So they can push whatever XYZ's apps to your phone if they choose so.

Make a "Junk" folder, put app links in there, and then hide folder. Done, out of site, out of mind.
    04-14-10 12:50 PM
    1. Cancel your Verizon service
    2. Get a dumbphone
    3. Get a Droid or Palm (not sure if this will work though, they still might push stuff to you)

If you want a BB then deal with it, all carriers do it not just Verizon. I'm sure you know, but I'll tell you again. You agreed to get stuff pushed to your phone when you signed your contract. So they can push whatever XYZ's apps to your phone if they choose so.

Make a "Junk" folder, put app links in there, and then hide folder. Done, out of site, out of mind.
    Amen to that!
    04-14-10 01:45 PM
    Wow! Flipping brilliant I _never_ thought of that. I should just get right up cancel my service and start using tin cans. Anybody have some extra string?

</sarcasm>.

I wasn't looking to whine. Sorry if it comes off this way, but I feel this is a legitimate question. If I choose to run a BES I can block VZW, AT&T, Sprint, Rogers, XYZ phone company from push things to a Blackberry. Yes I can move apps to specific folders and hide that, or delete the service book entry. But I'm more of a proactive person.

We have access to the routing tables and the service book entries. I don't see why/how its unreasonable to ask if someone has found a way to filter or block service books from a specific source.

If you don't have an answer move along and there's nothing to see here. I know that I have a choice and I'm aware I can exercise it. I've done it before so I also know how to exercise my right to choose. While Verizon asserts they have the right to modify the phone software OTA I'm asserting my right to choose if I want to accept the modifications. Its in the ToS that you probably didn't read....
    04-14-10 05:51 PM
    If you read those ToS then you know that you have the choice of installing those apps if you want. You can "assert your right to choose if you want to accept the modifications."

Accept= Download app
    Reject= Hide app

You also have the option to choose to run your phone on BES, so you have plenty of options available to you (refer to my post above for others). One of them isn't the ability modify/delete/block/filter the service books that get sent to your BB though.
    04-14-10 06:08 PM
    Yep.

You can't "block" them. And you can't stop them. You AGREED to it when you activated your service. You DON'T have the "right" to choose.

Hide the icons and forget about them. That's the only thing you can do. Even if you delete them, they will get pushed back to the device.
    04-14-10 06:24 PM
    Actually, I can't just accept or reject. Yes, I'll now bring out the dead, beaten, and now zombified horse: VZWs Bing update.

On my curve when I first bought it, I had Google, Wiki, Ask, Amazon? and someone else for search engine options in the Bb Browser. I prefer Google for most of my searches. But if I wanted to look something up on wikipedia I could, no problem right from the start screen, no immediate network connection needed (yes, i know that when you hit enter you need "The Network" but you didn't need it to compose your entry).

Yes I know I can install the google app (done) and set my home page to google (also done) but the point being I had a choice of how I wanted to search. Sure VZ has one of the best networks out there and one of the fastest, thats one of the reasons I came back to Verizon. But if I want to search Wikipedia I have to type in the address to the site wait for it to load. Type in what I'm searching for. Wait for the search to return. Continue on my way. Previously it was type in search, get the return from the search go on my way.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm lazy, I'm a system admin for linux, we're a lazy bunch, that's why you run linux and not windows . But the overall usability went down as well, a user has to do more typing and waiting now than before. If you're in an unstable network area (switching between evdo and 1X or only have 1x) it takes much longer to complete the task, get the information you are looking for, but I digress.

I never had the chance to reject the Bing search engine. I wasn't able to. I really don't give a care in the world about the stupid BrowserConfig books that are pushed down, as long as those are only for links to install applications. Its when they alter the behavior of applications already installed that I have the issue.

No where in the ToS does it say that I have to accept the modifications that they may make to my device....
    04-14-10 06:41 PM
    Yep.

You can't "block" them. And you can't stop them. You AGREED to it when you activated your service. You DON'T have the "right" to choose.

Hide the icons and forget about them. That's the only thing you can do. Even if you delete them, they will get pushed back to the device.
    Please, forgive my ignorance then. show me in the ToS where exactly I have to accept the modifications/service books?

Since I'm post locked from having a URL in me post. Its on the VZW website under Customer Agreement link in the footer of the page.
    04-14-10 06:51 PM
    Customer Agreement
    My Wireless Device

Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device.
    04-14-10 07:44 PM
    Exactly!! Brilliant! But where does it say I have to accept said change/modification thats done over the air?

The FCC part wouldn't apply because I'm not physically modifying the phone, nor am i tinkering with the firmware that controls the radios.
    04-14-10 07:48 PM
    You accepted their terms by initiating your service and continuing it beyond the first 30 days.

Their terms indicate that they may do the things listed above AT THEIR SOLE OPTION because you have ALREADY AGREED. So when it states "we may change the device's software without notice" that means that you don't have a choice. "We may" means that it is their option not yours. You do not have the option to agree/disagree at each change of the device software that they decide to do.

Quite frankly, it's much ado about nothing. You aren't going to get the company to change because they signed contracts with the companies providing the applications for MANY MILLIONS more dollars than you or I will EVER pay them.

So, HIDE THE ICONS and FORGET ABOUT THEM.

How Do I Accept This Agreement?
    You accept this agreement by:

* Agreeing in writing, by email, over the phone, or in person;
    * Opening a package that says you are accepting by opening it; or
    * Activating your Service using your wireless device.

When you accept, you're representing that you are at least 18 years old and are legally able to accept an agreement. If you're accepting for an organization, you're representing that you are authorized to bind that organization, and where the context requires, "you" means the organization.

If you don't want to accept, don't do any of these things. If you do accept, you can cancel a line of Service within 30 days of accepting without having to pay an early termination fee as long as you return any equipment you purchased from us at the time you accepted, but you'll still have to pay for your Service through that date.
    04-14-10 08:45 PM

Quite frankly, it's much ado about nothing. You aren't going to get the company to change because they signed contracts with the companies providing the applications for MANY MILLIONS more dollars than you or I will EVER pay them.

So, HIDE THE ICONS and FORGET ABOUT THEM.

I completely agree on the the bit about getting them to change. I know I'm not. Thats why I want to filter their service books . If I can't then what's the technical reason? Honestly, I'm not afraid of VZW coming after me for blocking their service books in the first place.

Icons are hidden btw, first thing I started doing. I've just had some issues over the last two weeks where I've had to wipe and reinstall my bb one too many times. To the point where hiding the darn things is getting beyond annoying and well, I want my old bb browser look and feel back too.

I suppose I should probably go else where to see advice on this since it seems to me that I'm asking too technical of a question for the board.
    04-14-10 09:04 PM
    I completely agree on the the bit about getting them to change. I know I'm not. Thats why I want to filter their service books . If I can't then what's the technical reason? Honestly, I'm not afraid of VZW coming after me for blocking their service books in the first place.

Icons are hidden btw, first thing I started doing. I've just had some issues over the last two weeks where I've had to wipe and reinstall my bb one too many times. To the point where hiding the darn things is getting beyond annoying and well, I want my old bb browser look and feel back too.

I suppose I should probably go else where to see advice on this since it seems to me that I'm asking too technical of a question for the board.
    We're still entertaining this...dear GOD
    04-15-10 03:50 AM
    Just hide the crap you don't want. It isn't that hard to do.
    04-16-10 02:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD