04-17-09 05:21 PM
64 123
tools
    It's actually as of 11/14 and it's all phones LAUNCHED after that date.
    so if its all phones launched after that date does that mean i can activate a blackberry 7250 without the blackberry data considering it came out way before 11/14
    04-07-09 02:16 AM
    All blackberries on VZW require a data plan.
    04-07-09 04:05 AM
    BlackBerry doesn't have data is not BlackBerry.
    04-07-09 04:48 AM
    so if its all phones launched after that date does that mean i can activate a blackberry 7250 without the blackberry data considering it came out way before 11/14
    No - that date was for non-BB smartphones. CDMA BlackBerrys have required data plans for as long as I recall.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-09 08:31 AM
    I got this e-mail from my verizon govt contact.

I sent him this e-mail:
    When I do remove the data plan how do I prevent the pearl from using data
    on it's own? As you know by nature Blackberries seek out data/e-mail several
    times a day. Ultimately, I just want to use the device as my PDA/Texting/Phone
    and will never really use the data portion outside of the first month of goofing around.

This was his reply:
    If the Blackberry is not connected to a BES server, it doesn't
    have to seek our data/email several time a day. You can have it come
    through as a push or you can have it set to manually check the email
    when you want to. However, if you don't intend of having the Voice &
    unlimited Data plan... Data usage should be very limited as you will be
    charged per kilobyte for usage. You may need to consult with our
    wireless data tech department to get the exact cost for pay-as-you-go
    data usage. If you want to buy the 8130 at the lower cost with the
    Voice & Data discount.. I recommend getting the units that way and
    changing your plans to the pay-as-you-data plan the month after if you
    feel that the unlimited data would be a bit more than you'd like to
    spend. Hope this information helps. As for the pay-as-you-go plan
    costs on data, you're welcome to call our data support at customer
    service at 1-800-922-0204. I believe it was something like $0.012 per
    kilobyte... But it's hard to gauge what your bill might look like that
    way.

Opinions? Thoughts?
    I work at Verizon, and that rep is a dumb@ss. RIM requires VZW customers to have a data plan. A customer can b!tch and moan all he/she wants, I still wouldn't be able to remove a data plan from the account.

That specific that said without a data plan, you'd be on a pay as go plan... This guy is confused with our other (older) PDA(s) that do NOT require data plans. The older PDA(s) can be activated without a data plan, but you'd be paying $0.015/kb.

I was talking to a customer that accessed the web from his motoQ. Although he swore up and down that it was an accident. I can see how 1-2mb in a month is an accident... this guy used 65mb. His bill was right around $1300.00...

With that said, I'm glad that VZW requires data plans on PDA phones. Also glad that RIM requires VZW customers a data plan.
    04-09-09 03:35 AM
    No - that date was for non-BB smartphones. CDMA BlackBerrys have required data plans for as long as I recall.

you can actually activate older pearls on vzw with pay as you go. You can't get mms though. Text still works but no mms. We just did it the other day.
    04-09-09 04:43 PM

you can actually activate older pearls on vzw with pay as you go. You can't get mms though. Text still works but no mms. We just did it the other day.
    04-09-09 04:43 PM
    Ah cool! I stand corrected then.

Just was going by what had been said previously on here.

04-09-09 06:03 PM
    yes u must have the data plan they have one for 29.99
    04-09-09 06:07 PM
    i dont see the point in owning a BB if your not going to use email/internet...at least now after using it for almost everything....at first i had the data plan with ATT, but cancelled it after 30 days...and went about a week without it
    and was just plain bored without being able to send emails and search the web. if your not going to have a data plan, why have a data phone ya know?
    I'm am wondering the same thing. Get a regular phone then, if that's what ur using it for. I think some people just want a BB for "show." Or maybe they just like the style of the BB devices. Go figure.
    04-09-09 06:11 PM
    The best plan is the $30 plan.
    04-09-09 06:29 PM
    I'm sorry if this question has already been answered but I'm short for time and can't go back and read this whole thread, and a search through the forums didn't bring much success. I currently use a dumb phone on Verizon and am waiting for the Niagara to come out... but since I have no idea whether it will be here in a month or four months, I was considering purchasing a CDMA BlackBerry without a contract.

However here is my problem/question. Since I do not want to have to pay a full retail price for either phone, I was going to purchase a used 8330 or 8830. However, when the 9630 does eventually become available, will the advertised price with a new contract still apply?

Basically, can you randomly add BlackBerry service to your Verizon cell phone line without purchasing a new BB from them? And then when you do buy the new BB, does it have to be with a brand new BB service plan? So can I add a BlackBerry and the BIS plan now without it counting as my contract renewal?

Thanks
    04-17-09 04:45 PM
    I'm sorry if this question has already been answered but I'm short for time and can't go back and read this whole thread, and a search through the forums didn't bring much success. I currently use a dumb phone on Verizon and am waiting for the Niagara to come out... but since I have no idea whether it will be here in a month or four months, I was considering purchasing a CDMA BlackBerry without a contract.

However here is my problem/question. Since I do not want to have to pay a full retail price for either phone, I was going to purchase a used 8330 or 8830. However, when the 9630 does eventually become available, will the advertised price with a new contract still apply?

Basically, can you randomly add BlackBerry service to your Verizon cell phone line without purchasing a new BB from them? And then when you do buy the new BB, does it have to be with a brand new BB service plan? So can I add a BlackBerry and the BIS plan now without it counting as my contract renewal?

Thanks
    Yes you can buy a device 3rd party and add the data plan. When you purchase the new device later it will be advertised 2yr contract price
    04-17-09 04:49 PM
    Yes you can buy a device 3rd party and add the data plan. When you purchase the new device later it will be advertised 2yr contract price
    Just make 100% certain it is a VZW BlackBerry. No Sprint/USCell/etc. devices. You could even have issues with an Alltel model.

The titanium Alltel 8330 makes the silver VZW ones look bad. USCell begged VZW not to steal their phones. Sprint phones - well, you can imagine VZW would not want anyone thinking Sprint actually offered good service, so no Sprint-branded phones allowed.

Actually, just kidding with the last paragraph (except for the titanium Alltel comment). It does have to do with an old draconian VZW policy that still forbids us from bringing our old phones with us to VZW. This includes like-model devices and they can tell by the ESN. So don't be duped into getting a cheap Sprint phone. There are a ton of them out there as more & more defect from Sprint.

04-17-09 05:21 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD