04-17-09 05:21 PM
64 123
tools
    I went to the verizon dealer today and asked him about the new blackberry pearl that is coming out. I told him when I had cingular's blackberry pearl, I didn't have to have the data package. Now, I wasn't allowed to use the internet or blackberry mail, but I was still allowed to use it as a standard phone, and PDA.

Those who have a blackberry through verizon. Do you have to have the data plan (+/-44.99 a month)?

Both verizon wireless reps told me I do have to, the phone wouldn't function without. But that could be an incentive for them to lie to the consumer.

I rememebr cingular telling me the same thing. But I disable the function trhough my online account, and the phone worked fine.
    10-23-07 03:03 PM
    first:
    not to be obnoxious...but I cannot help to ask why one would want a blackberry without a data connection??
    Second:
    I have heard that verizon is lowering their blackberry plans to $22 a month.

I'm not sure if this helps...

-db

in praise of UNLIMITED data...
    10-23-07 03:14 PM
    In short, the rep was correct.

While technically the phone would function completely fine as an organize & phone, Verizon won't let you do it.

If you must have a BlackBerry (I can't blame you, they are amazing!) but don't want email/web access. You could look into the 10mb plan for 24.99/month. I have that plan and I actually use it for email and web and never go over the limit.

Also, there are currently rumors out that Verizon is lowering the price of the BB unlimited plan to $22/month. If that rumor turns out to be true, the price drop would occur about the same time as the Pearl 2 will be released. You may just want to wait and see what happens.
    10-23-07 03:29 PM
    it could still work as a phone but I think with cdma is that if u don't have the plan they disable all use... So u can't even be charged per kb or whatever... I know this is tru of sprint... If u don't have the package ur SOL but if u only want it for calls and maybe txt then I'd say u don't need it cuz the phone itself can function with out it...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-07 03:38 PM
    first:
    not to be obnoxious...but I cannot help to ask why one would want a blackberry without a data connection??
    Second:
    I have heard that verizon is lowering their blackberry plans to $22 a month.

I'm not sure if this helps...

-db

in praise of UNLIMITED data...
    Good question, and I knew someone would say that. I never really used the internet that much on my GSM Pearl, so that why i took the plan off. which saved me 40 dollars a month. If Verizon lowers there plan then I definitely think about it.
    10-23-07 03:50 PM
    The rep has to tell you that, but what you can do is after phone is activated, get online and cancel plan, or do so via phone by calling verizon. I am very new to blackberry and right now I have not made leap to put data package on my phone. But i can do everything but sync with my business and personal email, text, internet, as well as use as typical phone. Hope this helps.
    10-23-07 07:43 PM
    i dont see the point in owning a BB if your not going to use email/internet...at least now after using it for almost everything....at first i had the data plan with ATT, but cancelled it after 30 days...and went about a week without it
    and was just plain bored without being able to send emails and search the web. if your not going to have a data plan, why have a data phone ya know?
    10-23-07 08:07 PM
    The rep has to tell you that, but what you can do is after phone is activated, get online and cancel plan, or do so via phone by calling verizon. I am very new to blackberry and right now I have not made leap to put data package on my phone. But i can do everything but sync with my business and personal email, text, internet, as well as use as typical phone. Hope this helps.
    That may work temporarily. I have heard though when Verizon does audits of your account, they will require you to add it. Let us know how it goes though.
    10-23-07 08:15 PM
    dpslusser, I am in your boat as well. I sit at a computer all day. I have two laptops at home. I am pretty much covered for checking/sending e-mail almost 24-7. There is nothing that urgent or important that requires me to be tied to my e-mail at all times. If my friends/colleagues really need me they can call/text me.

For me I am trying consolidate my phone, PDA, and mp3 player into one. Needing to surf, check e-mail is not all that important. Then why a blackberry everyone asks? QWERTY my friends, QWERTY. Try entering calendar events on a non QWERTY keyboard. Even texts can be a pain. Plus a larger screen really helps.

My government verizon rep and told me "You can always change or
    remove the data plan at anytime." He e-mailed that to me so I can quote him. But my question is doesn't the BB automatically go looking for data/e-mails? If I don't set up that portion it shouldn't work right?

I just want a Phone/PDA/Texting Machine/MP3 that isn't an iPhone.
    11-07-07 11:57 AM
    I got this e-mail from my verizon govt contact.

I sent him this e-mail:
    When I do remove the data plan how do I prevent the pearl from using data
    on it's own? As you know by nature Blackberries seek out data/e-mail several
    times a day. Ultimately, I just want to use the device as my PDA/Texting/Phone
    and will never really use the data portion outside of the first month of goofing around.

This was his reply:
    If the Blackberry is not connected to a BES server, it doesn't
    have to seek our data/email several time a day. You can have it come
    through as a push or you can have it set to manually check the email
    when you want to. However, if you don't intend of having the Voice &
    unlimited Data plan... Data usage should be very limited as you will be
    charged per kilobyte for usage. You may need to consult with our
    wireless data tech department to get the exact cost for pay-as-you-go
    data usage. If you want to buy the 8130 at the lower cost with the
    Voice & Data discount.. I recommend getting the units that way and
    changing your plans to the pay-as-you-data plan the month after if you
    feel that the unlimited data would be a bit more than you'd like to
    spend. Hope this information helps. As for the pay-as-you-go plan
    costs on data, you're welcome to call our data support at customer
    service at 1-800-922-0204. I believe it was something like $0.012 per
    kilobyte... But it's hard to gauge what your bill might look like that
    way.

Opinions? Thoughts?
    Last edited by chino; 11-07-07 at 02:37 PM.
    11-07-07 02:34 PM
    That means that every time you send or receive a text or pic message you are charged data transport charges. I believe your bill would be ridiculous. They used to offer free transport charges but just changed it about a month ago. I'm assuming this is because of the new bb plans.

Also, I don't think they will allow you to take off the blackberry plan, the transaction has always failed everytime I had tried. And I'm pretty sure it won't work online either because I had a customer try it from my laptop at my store.

Customer care can do things we can't do in the stores tho......

Not sure what the transport charges are, but you may want to check before you go without a plan.....could be worse in the end.
    11-15-07 03:26 AM
    I have only had my 8130 pearl for 1 day. I am still learning. How can i see what my data usage is. I currently have the unlimited bb plan through vzn but am considering lowering to 10mb plan.

can anyone advise?
    11-16-07 08:48 PM
    I have only had my 8130 pearl for 1 day. I am still learning. How can i see what my data usage is. I currently have the unlimited bb plan through vzn but am considering lowering to 10mb plan.

can anyone advise?
    (guessing)

#DATA (#3282)
    11-16-07 10:42 PM

can anyone advise?
    There are a few other threads going around about the "new" data plan with vzn which is unlimited data and email for 29.99 (only 5 bucks more than the 10mb plan) An alternative if you really don't want to have a data plan for others who don't need it (lap tops or whatever) there is a $9.00 plan and you can't access anything on the net. I had this for about a week because I wasn't sure if was going to keep the Blackberry, now I'm an addict!
    11-18-07 04:31 PM
    Purchased my BB through that e site, and the person in charge of switching out our phones just called and switched esn's with my other phone. No question about adding a data plan. My department only pays for phone service, and not data. Was tired of trying to carry around PDA, and a cell phone.

By the way, I am a happy switcher from a Treo.
    11-18-07 05:14 PM
    An alternative if you really don't want to have a data plan for others who don't need it (lap tops or whatever) there is a $9.00 plan and you can't access anything on the net. I had this for about a week because I wasn't sure if was going to keep the Blackberry, now I'm an addict!

You have a link for this from the vzw website? I haven't heard anything about plan.
    11-18-07 05:30 PM
    Purchased my BB through that e site, and the person in charge of switching out our phones just called and switched esn's with my other phone. No question about adding a data plan. My department only pays for phone service, and not data. Was tired of trying to carry around PDA, and a cell phone.

By the way, I am a happy switcher from a Treo.
    You may want to log into your account with verizon or call *611 and ask what features you have on your plan. When I first activated my BB (by just changing esn) verizon automatically added the 44.95 data feature to my plan without even asking me.
    11-18-07 05:41 PM
    Just curious if this is a blackberry thing with VZW because before my cousin switched carriers and got a Curve, she was with Verizon and used Treos for years WITHOUT a data plan.

When she got her first Treo, the rep offered her an additional $100 discount off the phone IF she got the data plan (which was not required) which VZW gave her a month free trial. Then, the rep told her to cancel the data service before the month was up and she wouldn't be charged. So, she went through the Treo 600, 650 and 700 - all without the data plan. (She is front of computers all day at work and takes her laptop everywhere she goes so she had no need for data on her Treo and used it for phone, texts and PDA only.)

In any case, she is now a happy CrackBerry CURVE addict with a different carrier and even though she doesn't really need it, she definitely has the data plan now that she found out all the cool things a Curve can do!

11-19-07 01:58 AM
    Just curious if this is a blackberry thing with VZW because before my cousin switched carriers and got a Curve, she was with Verizon and used Treos for years WITHOUT a data plan.
    Yes, it's a Verizon thing. BB are required to have a data plan attached to them. Smart phones that use Windows mobile can do a "pay as you go" or totally block data. This is why she was able to have Treos without a data package.

You may want to log into your account with verizon or call *611 and ask what features you have on your plan. When I first activated my BB (by just changing esn) verizon automatically added the 44.95 data feature to my plan without even asking me.
    I agree with, maggie_may. The system will automatically attach the $44.95 plan once the ESN is recognized. At least in eROES it does.
    Last edited by SK1; 11-19-07 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Added more.
    11-19-07 11:55 AM
    You have a link for this from the vzw website? I haven't heard anything about plan.
    No I don't have a link, I just know it exists because when I first got the BB I didn't know if I wanted to keep it or not and I definitely wasn't sure about paying 44.95 a month for data when I already pay 40 bucks a month for Roadrunner on my desktop.
    ...so after about 15 minutes of arguing with the CSR at verizon about not wanting to pay that much for data she gave me the $9.00 plan which is basically just a charge to own the BB, it does not offer any data usage(email internet and such is pay as you go per MB of usage) and that is not cheap I was warned by the CSR if I didn't get a data plan to not even think about accessing the web with the BB because some pages were more MB than others and I would never be able to tell how much data I used until I got my bill.
    She did also tell me that BB was the only device that has a requirement for a data package and that they could turn that requirement off for devices such as treo and the Moto Q. They obviously know that these little things are very addicting...cause to be honest I'm so hooked I'd probably pay double what I pay now for data (29.99 unlimited)
    11-19-07 04:21 PM
    There are a few other threads going around about the "new" data plan with vzn which is unlimited data and email for 29.99 (only 5 bucks more than the 10mb plan) An alternative if you really don't want to have a data plan for others who don't need it (lap tops or whatever) there is a $9.00 plan and you can't access anything on the net. I had this for about a week because I wasn't sure if was going to keep the Blackberry, now I'm an addict!
    $9 plan? Never heard of it. Actually pretty positive we don't have one. Was this a long time ago?
    11-20-07 08:16 PM
    To answer dpslusser's question...If you use BIS for Blackberry and not BES, you can actually get a data package for either $24.99 or $29.99. As long as you do not have to connect to your company's server or not using a company server anyway...you can do the more inexpensive data package.
    11-20-07 08:20 PM
    $9 plan? Never heard of it. Actually pretty positive we don't have one. Was this a long time ago?
    Hmmm well it was on my bill, (just last month)the CSR who put it on my plan spent many minutes with me on hold while she talked to her manager about how I could get around having to spend 24.99 for the cheapest data plan, finally she came back and said well here you go a 9.00 plan but don't go on the net.

It doesn't shock me people haven't heard of a 9.00 plan... must be kinda like the 3 different CSR's I talked to who never heard of the 29.99 unlimited data plan either?
    11-20-07 09:09 PM
    I just got off the phone with a customer representative in VZW Arizona Call center.

Me- "I wanted to get some information about Blackberry Data Packages. I don't have a blackberry rite now, but I was wondering what the smallest plan was"

V.R.-"Ok, the first thing I want to let you know is that you DO NOT have to have a data package in order to use the blackberry. The only things that won't work is internet/email, video/picture messaging. "

Me- "So your telling me. I can get a blackberry without a blackberry data package. LOL. Your kidding me. A local representative told me its mandatory and it won't work without it."

V.R- "Nope. You'll have full function of the phone. I swear to God. I just got done doing it 10 minutes ago with another customer."

Me- "Dude, your a Godsend. No one could give me a straight answer since the new Pearl came out for VZW."

SO THERE WE GO....THERES ARE ANSWER!!!!

YOU DO NOT NEED A DATA PACKAGE*

*When purchasing a blackberry. A data plan will auto associate with the new phone. Most vzw store representatives will NOT know that you can remove it still have full functionality. A quick call to VZW (611 from the phone) you can have the Data and Regional Data plan removed. With no Data plan, the BB can not access the VZW BB servers, therefore no Data usage (per Kilobyte) will be used.
    11-21-07 06:21 PM
    okay, please help!

i am under the 30 day trial period with verizon. i DO NOT want any data package. i have talked with 7 different CSR's and all have shut me down when i tried to cancel the data package. if anyone can help i would be so thankful. i would love the phone number of a CSR who will cancel the plan or who will give me the $9.00 option.

again, please help -

thanks!
    11-26-07 03:02 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD