Is it possible to switch a phone to a blackberry that is off contract without having to add a data plan? I have my old tour and I thought this was possible. Just wanted to make sure before I stick a friend with a surprise bill. Thanks!
    05-02-10 11:40 PM
    should be - as long as the plan is not a blackberry plan the phone won't have access to the BIS, and therefore data usage (mostly)
    05-03-10 12:34 AM
    Is it possible to switch a phone to a blackberry that is off contract without having to add a data plan? I have my old tour and I thought this was possible. Just wanted to make sure before I stick a friend with a surprise bill. Thanks!
    No. You can not. It is REQUIRED. Get a simple feature phone if you do not want data.
    05-03-10 01:01 AM
    should be - as long as the plan is not a blackberry plan the phone won't have access to the BIS, and therefore data usage (mostly)
    Wrong.
    ______
    05-03-10 01:03 AM
    I can't take my old blackberry that is off contract, give it to my friend, *228 and change it to his phone, and not have a data?
    05-03-10 01:03 AM
    Ummm. No. It is required.
    05-03-10 01:04 AM
    Is this just a Verizon thing then? I know people on ATT that just did this and I know someone that is either T-Mobile or Verizon that has a blackberry without data plan (I think it's probably T-mobile).
    05-03-10 01:09 AM
    I don't believe it's just a Verizon thing. But Verizon does require it.
    05-03-10 02:05 AM
    Technically all phone companies require data on Blackberry (and pretty much all smartphone) devices. However, with GSM companies (AT&T and T-Mo) you can work around it. You change the phone on your account to a basic flip, perhaps an el cheapo prepaid phone, then just pop your SIM in whatever phone you want. They won't require data because they think you're still on the flip.
    05-03-10 02:13 AM
    Is this just a Verizon thing then? I know people on ATT that just did this and I know someone that is either T-Mobile or Verizon that has a blackberry without data plan (I think it's probably T-mobile).
    As of September 2009, AT&T also requires BlackBerry devices activated on their network after that date to have a BlackBerry Data Plan.

They will add it to the bill.
    05-03-10 06:00 AM
    As of September 2009, AT&T also requires BlackBerry devices activated on their network after that date to have a BlackBerry Data Plan.

They will add it to the bill.
    depends...unlocked bb from other carriers being used on att will not require it... i did some more research last night... hmm strange as i know my friend just got a bb from a corporate store at full price without a data plan... i'll tell her to keep an eye on her bill
    05-03-10 08:47 AM
    A BlackBerry without BIS is like a day without sunshine
    05-03-10 09:01 AM
    Is the search feature broken? I haven't seen one of these threads in a while.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-10 01:12 PM
    Is the jackass circus in town? I haven't had anyone be rude on here for a while.

Yes I used the search, looked through 3 pages of threads and none of them pertaining to what I was looking for. Thanks for wasting your time making a smart *** comment. Here's a hint, how about you don't click the thread if you think it is a waste of time? There problem solved.

Oh guess what, I googled it first too. All I found was opening new lines or upgrading lines. This isn't the situation I was asking.
    05-03-10 02:47 PM
    Any wireless company will eventually find out that you are using a smartphone and add the data package on for you. Thats weather you like it or not. When you switch a sim it also switches the phone and uploads it to the network. You might be able to get around it for a month or two,but the carrier will add the data plan for you.
    05-03-10 02:53 PM
    Thank you crankey for giving an answer. I already told my friend would wanted the BB without data. So, off it goes to craigslist.
    05-03-10 02:58 PM
    Did you actually perform a search or did you just review the 3 pages of the most recent threads? I clicked on "search this forum" and typed in "data plan requirement" and selected "show threads." The very first non stickied thread discusses this very issue.

Is the jackass circus in town? I haven't had anyone be rude on here for a while.

Yes I used the search, looked through 3 pages of threads and none of them pertaining to what I was looking for. Thanks for wasting your time making a smart *** comment. Here's a hint, how about you don't click the thread if you think it is a waste of time? There problem solved.

Oh guess what, I googled it first too. All I found was opening new lines or upgrading lines. This isn't the situation I was asking.
    05-03-10 03:10 PM
    Oh, I'm sorry I didn't use the exact wording you did. I did blackberry without data. I will try to use every possible wording before I make a post so that I do not waste your precious time. Seriously dude? I hate people that go out of their way to insult others.
    05-03-10 03:29 PM
    Verizon knows it's a BB by the MEID/ESN.
    The package is automatically added.
    Yes you can get away with it on GSM carriers, but they will find out.
    Once they find out, they will add the data plan.
    05-03-10 03:56 PM
    Verizon knows it's a BB by the MEID/ESN.
    The package is automatically added.
    Yes you can get away with it on GSM carriers, but they will find out.
    Once they find out, they will add the data plan.
    According to the TMobile forum, they do not require data on a BB if you bring your own.

05-03-10 08:25 PM
    RIM requires all Blackberry's to have data plan. The carrier has no choice in the matter. RIM has their own data and the carriers are sort of like "the middle man." I used to be a Customer Service Rep with VZW and when we tried to activate a BB without a data plan the system wouldn't let us.
    05-07-10 10:46 PM
    RIM requires all Blackberry's to have data plan. The carrier has no choice in the matter. RIM has their own data and the carriers are sort of like "the middle man." I used to be a Customer Service Rep with VZW and when we tried to activate a BB without a data plan the system wouldn't let us.
    This is incorrect. It does not apply to all carriers. It's part of Verizon's agreement with RIM, however.
    05-08-10 05:58 AM
    The ESN is tied to the system to show its a BB. Sorry dude.

05-08-10 10:30 AM
    I was told it was required.

BKVic
    05-20-10 03:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD