Well... a friend of mine just recently got a used BB 8830 WE from a parent and was wondering how the data plan pricing works.

Basically, are there options to what type of plan you can have, or when you buy a Blackberry, does the $30 unlimited bb data plan automatically go on your bill?

I have the Storm, and when I purchased it Nov. of last year, the representative at Verizon said that I needed to purchase the $30 unlimited plan with my Storm.

So, how will this work for my friend who is getting a used phone(even if from a parent, she still needs to go to the store and activate it)?

What are her options?

thanks

EDIT: Just spoke with my friend, and she actually already activated the phone(switching numbers from her chocolate to the BB) and she was wondering which plan was automatically put on when she activated the phone.

thanks
    Last edited by SaMaster14; 09-20-09 at 03:49 PM.
    09-20-09 03:46 PM
    More than likely it defaulted the 44.95 BES pack.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-09 03:58 PM
    But my friend is a teenager and doesn't work for a company. Isn't BES the enterprise server which works with major businesses that use BB in their line of work?

Wouldn't someone who was using the phone as an individual be added to the BIS plan, which is the normal $30/month charge? I thought there was only one unlimited plan, which was the default and necessary to activate a BB on Verizon?
    09-20-09 06:06 PM
    When she got the phone, vzw should have put her on a $30/mon plan(this is an unlimited data package for a phone using BIS) unless she specified that she needs to use the phone on a BES server (which is $44.99)/mon).
    09-20-09 06:43 PM
    When she got the phone, vzw should have put her on a $30/mon plan(this is an unlimited data package for a phone using BIS) unless she specified that she needs to use the phone on a BES server (which is $44.99)/mon).
    thats exactly what I thought, I just wanted to make sure, since it was a used phone and I'm guessing used on a BES server before(on her parents business server).

But since the parent got a new BB to use for work, I was guessing that when the 8830 was activated for my friend, it was activated with the normal BIS $30/month unlimited data plan.

thanks for the replies!
    09-20-09 06:53 PM
    Welcome
    09-20-09 06:58 PM
    thats exactly what I thought, I just wanted to make sure, since it was a used phone and I'm guessing used on a BES server before(on her parents business server).

But since the parent got a new BB to use for work, I was guessing that when the 8830 was activated for my friend, it was activated with the normal BIS $30/month unlimited data plan.

thanks for the replies!
    Here is some food for thought for your friend. If her phone was on a BES server, it will probably have IT Policy stuff on it which might prevent some of the features. This is depending on what her parents BES administrators set up for their BB phones. The good thing about this if true is the administrator works for her parents company so its a matter of them doing their magic. Some people who buy BB phones from Ebay or another private party don't always know this and then have to jump through hoops to remove all the IT Policy stuff from the phone. If you want to learn more about IT policy, type it in the search field. There are some good post on the subject. In closing say hello to Hugh Hefner for me.
    09-20-09 07:42 PM
    Here is some food for thought for your friend. If her phone was on a BES server, it will probably have IT Policy stuff on it which might prevent some of the features. This is depending on what her parents BES administrators set up for their BB phones. The good thing about this if true is the administrator works for her parents company so its a matter of them doing their magic. Some people who buy BB phones from Ebay or another private party don't always know this and then have to jump through hoops to remove all the IT Policy stuff from the phone. If you want to learn more about IT policy, type it in the search field. There are some good post on the subject. In closing say hello to Hugh Hefner for me.
    thanks for that. I'll tell her to ask her parents about how their business set up the BES policy and if they removed it after the phone was de-activated.

Oh... and lol about Hugh Hefner. Playboy mansion is actually like 3 blocks away from my house(I see you read my location thing haha)
    09-20-09 08:37 PM
    yeah, but the billing sys auto pops the corp provisioning... she needs to call and make sure she's on the 29.99 so that she doesnt end up with an extra $15 on her bill.
    09-21-09 07:19 AM
    Oh... and lol about Hugh Hefner. Playboy mansion is actually like 3 blocks away from my house(I see you read my location thing haha)
    I'm originally from the South Bay area of LA (Torrance). Take it easy.
    09-21-09 11:01 AM
    Take it easy.
    ???
    I wasn't trying to me mean or jumpy... just laughed at the comment...

Oh... and thanks for all the replies and help everyone.
    09-21-09 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD