I'm a blackberry virgin.... my new 8130 should be here today (tomorrow at the latest). i was "FORCED" (used loosely) to get a new phone due to my son putting his through the washing machine..... so i upgraded to the 8130. i just have a question in regards to the verizon data plan, i know it is limited to 5gb a month..... what does that mean? how much time on the net is that? also, if i want to use it for gps mapping (via bluetooth of course) how much data will that use? i just want to make sure i'm not in danger of going over my 5gbs.... otherwise my wife would be mad she is paying $30 more a month already!

thanks for the input!
    03-13-08 10:25 AM
    I have never even come close to 5Gb...but there are some people who do I guess. I don't use gps, i have a gps in my car soo i have no idea how much data that uses.
    03-13-08 10:28 AM
    The only gps on vzw phones is their navigator app, the only data it uses is the actual install and location lookup, the actual navigation isn't considered data usage. I confirmed this leaving it on for an 8 hour road trip because I forgot I had it on, until I started getting driving directions coming out of my pocket when I was walking through Disneyland..

With the $30 BB plan, unless you stream ORB all month, you will never get anywhere near the limit.
    03-13-08 02:23 PM
    5 gigs a month kinda sucks get an unlimited data plan
    03-13-08 02:26 PM
    5 gigs a month kinda sucks get an unlimited data plan
    5GB ... not 5MB.

5GB does not suck by any stretch of the imagination.
    Most unlimited data plans are capped at 5GB.
    03-13-08 02:29 PM
    I would say get the unlimited for the first month or so to track your actual usage, then you can downgrade if needed. I don't think anyone can tell you if it would be enough or not. I'm guilty of using over 5g a month, I use my data pretty much all day. Heck I hardly ever turn my comp on anymore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-08 02:30 PM
    I would say get the unlimited for the first month or so to track your actual usage, then you can downgrade if needed. I don't think anyone can tell you if it would be enough or not. I'm guilty of using over 5g a month, I use my data pretty much all day. Heck I hardly ever turn my comp on anymore.

At least for existing, that's a very loose cap, I'm sure new contracts will eventually come with some kinda per meg overage charge, but vzw got bit pretty hard last year advertising unlimited and then dropping people for using too much data.
    A lot of this also comes from people on the older plans tethering, and only being charged for minutes, or for free on nights and weekends.
    03-13-08 02:49 PM

Holy crappola..do you really use more than 5 Gigabytes a month? I'm a pretty heavy Gmaps user, along with browsing for an hour or two a day, plus a good deal of email, and I haven't even hit more than 20 Megabytes a month. I don't know how anyone could use 5000 Megabytes, unless as someone else said, you're wired up as a modem.
    03-13-08 03:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD