I'm planning on getting a Blackberry Pearl (8130) for my mother, and I was just wondering how different the set up is compared to non-CDMA BBs. I use a T-Mo Pearl, and I know that Verizon tends to install their own programing / stuff onto their devices. I'll be needing to help my mom with setting up and learning how to use it, so I was just curious how different it is.
    01-05-08 02:26 PM
    from what I can tell cheungsta... the bb operating system is largely intact and not quite "cripppled" the way many verizon phones are...

That being said... they DO force you to use their navigation and not the free one...

But I really really really love my pearl... I like it moer every day...

-db
    01-05-08 02:40 PM
    Having recently gone from a VZW BB to a TMO BB I can tell you that the setup is basically the same. Some things LOOK different but the setup and use are identical as they both use the RIM OS
    01-05-08 02:45 PM
    Awesome...that's great to hear. I was a bit worried that Vzn had replaced the RIM OS with their own stuff....glad to hear my worries were for nothing!
    01-05-08 03:29 PM
    isn't the only real difference in that vzw locks down the gsp functionality so you have to pay for their service and use navigator?
    01-05-08 04:02 PM
    isn't the only real difference in that vzw locks down the gsp functionality so you have to pay for their service and use navigator?
    More or less yes. The Big V has left the OS mostly alone it seems, using it seems no different than other Pearls that I've used (which is a good thing)
    01-07-08 12:00 PM
    And on units with no cameras (8830, 8703) they disabled MMS.
    01-07-08 12:07 PM
    blackberry pearl or world edition is there any difference in quality ???
    anyone have suggestions or do I stick it out with my 8703 until new ones come along.
    01-30-08 01:29 PM
    joanne. Do you have the pearl or the 8703??? your profile shows you having the pearl which not sure why your asking on quality.....

But if you have the 8703, I would say they they are a upgrade as far as features and quality... But there are rumors of the 8330 coming to verizon in the coming months....

There are a couple threads on vs. this and vs. that. have a look and see for your self. Even go to the store and check them out.
    01-30-08 01:46 PM
    I believe RIM's agreements with the carriers dictates hands-off the OS and UI with the exception of carrier Themes. Unfortuantely carrier ability to disable or lock down feature sets in the firmware is a different story.
    Last edited by GadgetGeek; 01-30-08 at 02:47 PM.
    01-30-08 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD