In the U.K. being that we are gsm it's been easy to just use blackberrys as a txt and phone only. Now having moved to the U.S. I want to buy an old blackberry 8130 pearl(I had one in the U.K.) but verizon are telling me one minute I can't use this without a data plan then when I say no problem I'll try another carrier they then suggested I call customer services to see if they can help. So before I do so I thought I would ask the good people of crackberry for inputs.

As my user name suggests I use my phone just for calls and txt and my pc for everything else.

Is there a way to use a used cdma bb on verizon without a data plan?
    03-23-12 04:03 PM
    In the U.K. being that we are gsm it's been easy to just use blackberrys as a txt and phone only. Now having moved to the U.S. I want to buy an old blackberry 8130 pearl(I had one in the U.K.) but verizon are telling me one minute I can't use this without a data plan then when I say no problem I'll try another carrier they then suggested I call customer services to see if they can help. So before I do so I thought I would ask the good people of crackberry for inputs.

As my user name suggests I use my phone just for calls and txt and my pc for everything else.

Is there a way to use a used cdma bb on verizon without a data plan?
    Sorry there's no way you can activate a BlackBerry without a data plan. Verizon requires you to have a data plan on ALL smartphones.

I'm not sure about GSM/HSPA carriers (T-Mobile, AT&T, etc.), though. I'd suggest you to go to T-Mobile since they seem the least strict about this kind of stuff.
    03-23-12 04:37 PM
    Thanks for the reply BB

Unfortuneatly in south dakota so gsm is a nono and cdma only. Never mind.
    03-23-12 04:42 PM
    Not sure what part of SD you're in, but according to AT&T's coverage map, SD seems to have native 3G coverage.
    Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, & Wireless Accessories - from AT&T
    03-23-12 05:22 PM
    T-Mobile will allow BBs without data, but if you can't get reception, then that won't help. Sorry.

Verizon is just looking out for you, the customer. If you had a data capable device without a plan and suddenly decided to start using pay-per-use data, you could run up an unexpected bill. To avoid this "unexpected" bill, VZW just makes you buy a data plan. Now you won't have any budget flare-ups, unless you go over your limit, of course... But at least then you can't say you didn't know you had to pay for data....
    03-23-12 06:07 PM
    If you want VZW as your carrier and just want to text and phone I'd recommend another device. My wife falls into that category and found a phone with a qwerty keypad that was free. She shares my minutes for $20 per month.

I can understand your mobile culture shock coming from the UK to the more rigidly structured USA mobile market. Good luck.
    03-24-12 08:13 AM
    Even back in the days when you didn't need data with the old Palm and Windows phones, Blackberry always required a data plan. You may want to do as suggested and get a regular phone with a keyboard, if data is something you don't want.
    03-24-12 11:13 AM
    Thanks bb, Rapid city is my new place, well on the outskirts and t mobile again is a no no but suggests a partner signal? but doesn't say who

Thanks for the reply Scionic I appreciate your view but I have yet to deal with a huge company who has it's customers at heart, the mighty dollar maybe but rarely it's customers. Otherwise gsm would be nationwide and the customers ability to choose and use the phone they want wouldn't be restricted.

i-hiker and sonic, I am feeling that is the only course left open to me for now.

Again thanks all for your inputs.
    03-24-12 01:01 PM
    Check out Page Plus! They have cheap no contract plans. I have two of my blackberries with them (BB9930 and BB9630. They run off Verizon lines. Also go to Kitty Wireless that have loads of info on getting your device setup as well as the same plans as Page Plus. I have basic plan where I pay say $50: good for 1000 minutes and that does not run out for four (4) months! Just make sure that 3g is turned off as some background apps may try to "sneak" some data OTA which will take away from your minute plan.
    03-25-12 10:05 AM
    Verizon also has a list of some smartphones that are grandfathered in before the mandated data plan. Granted, they are old, but there are a few out there if that is a route that you want to consider. One that I know of off the top of my head is the Motorola Q, probably the closest you will get to a BlackBerry.
    04-01-12 08:45 AM
    T-Mobile will allow BBs without data, but if you can't get reception, then that won't help. Sorry.

Verizon is just looking out for you, the customer. If you had a data capable device without a plan and suddenly decided to start using pay-per-use data, you could run up an unexpected bill. To avoid this "unexpected" bill, VZW just makes you buy a data plan. Now you won't have any budget flare-ups, unless you go over your limit, of course... But at least then you can't say you didn't know you had to pay for data....
    Verizon is looking out for Verizon's bottom line.
    They could effectively block data and then you wouldn't need to worry.
    If they make everyone get data, even if you plan not to use it; Verizon wins.
    04-05-12 04:47 PM
    Yah, I don't like this about vzn...they are major a$$holes for forcing ppl to use data on all smartphones.
    05-02-12 03:17 PM
    Yah, I don't like this about vzn...they are major a$$holes for forcing ppl to use data on all smartphones.
    So does Sprint and AT&T, have fun at Tmobile.
    05-02-12 05:49 PM
    Using a BB without a data plan can be done, I've done it before. I had a Verizon BB Bold, it was a world phone so it had a SIM card. I unlocked it and then set up a prepaid plan with AT&T, $2 a day will get you unlimited talk and text. Pop in the SIM and you're good to go.
    05-05-12 11:53 AM
    Verizon has a $10/month data plan for BlackBerry called the Social Messaging plan. I think that's the name.
    05-05-12 01:39 PM
    05-05-12 01:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD