Good evening,

I have the blackberry tour and will be traveling to Culebra, Puerto Rico for a couple of days.

I have checked the Verizon coverage map and it shows that I should have enhanced extended service down there. I have called the locals down there and they have informed me that Verizon is kinda spotty. ATT and T-Mobile are pretty good. I was told by verizon technical support that I might be roaming at 0.69 a cents a minute? How will I know if I am roaming? I have called Verizon and spoken to technical support have obtained two different answers to my question of service and reliability. It is imperative that I have voice and data service. Any suggestions besides not going on the trip? The trip is for two days. I appreciate any help. Thanks
    01-12-10 06:29 PM
    Moving to VZW Forum
    01-12-10 06:51 PM
    Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    01-12-10 06:54 PM
    The location you are going to a CDMA techology area. The rate per minute is .69 per minute and data runs off CDMA as well. Have VZW provision your account CDMA data at 64.99 and you shoud be covered.
    01-12-10 07:13 PM
    you will get solid voice coverage there, viequez, cayo santiago, and all the small islands around the area and including on a boat anywhere in btwn.... however, no 3g. only 1x and this is throughout PR in general

Voice quality drops when you get to where our home is in the farjardo area (north/east) area of the island. Everywhere else is 3 bars.
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-12-10 at 08:57 PM.
    01-12-10 08:54 PM
    Mr. Medic,

Did you get charge extra for using your phone in PR? Do you roan at all in PR?

I am flying into San Juan and then a small plane to Culebra.
    01-12-10 09:04 PM
    Nope... and no roaming charges just no 3g
    01-12-10 10:14 PM
    Medic,

Did you get your emails while in PR? Thanks
    01-13-10 02:31 PM
    PR is an American Territory, so most likely it's part of your Verizon plan.
    01-13-10 03:07 PM
    PR is an American Territory, so most likely it's part of your Verizon plan.
    PR is not part of your plan. as stated on the webiste, it is .69 per minute to use the device for voice.
    01-13-10 03:51 PM
    I am confused just like everyone else in here if PR is part of my plan or not.
    01-13-10 06:15 PM
    IT is not - go to www.vzw.com/international and look up PR. This will show show the rates.
    01-13-10 06:29 PM
    Lastraid would know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-10 06:35 PM
    Whenever I leave the US for a week or so, I call VZW and speak to the International department. They will pro-rate the plan depending on how much you use. A few months ago I was in Mexico for 8 days and the charge was $20.00 USD. Not bad in my opinion...
    01-13-10 06:42 PM
    What used to be VZW in PR has been Claro (Mexican telco) for a while now. So, it is my belief that indeed it would be roaming service for you.
    01-13-10 06:46 PM
    Unlimited roaming was included in the package I mentioned in the above post...
    01-13-10 06:50 PM
    The location you are going to a CDMA techology area. The rate per minute is .69 per minute and data runs off CDMA as well. Have VZW provision your account CDMA data at 64.99 and you shoud be covered.
    Gonna have to stop you there.

Voice roaming *can* be $.69 per minute, depending on what carrier you roam on. Unfortunately, there's no real way to tell, other than whether or not the phone says "extended network" or "roaming". And the issue is moot if you're on America's Choice or Nationwide, as these plans include it.

Data DOES NOT require global email, so do not up your data plan unless you're going elsewhere. It is priced same-as-domestic.

As for what's available at what price in what territory, it completely depends on what the local roaming agreement is. For example, the US Virgin Islands also have data/text at same-as-domestic, but have a high voice roaming rate. Guam, on the other hand, is expensive to roam in.
    Last edited by Polychrome; 01-13-10 at 07:23 PM.
    01-13-10 07:14 PM
    I beg to differ with Lastraid about roaming, you will not be charged for roaming at .69 cents, .50 cents or any cents. Like Medic stated no 3G. We, over the past have used our VZW phones in PR and have not had any problems with our billings. We have even used both an aircard and tethered our phones, again with no billing problems. My in-laws live in an area that is enhanced service as well. Now how well you will have service in Culebra is an unknown to me as I've never been there. Enjoy your time.
    01-13-10 07:42 PM
    Here's what it says

Most of Puerto Rico is included in the Nationwide and Americas Choice Coverage Areas. If you roam out of the Nationwide or Americas Choice coverage area, you will be charged $.69 per minute. Please use your device's banner as an indicator of your roaming status. Click here to view the approximate coverage areas.
    Calling From Puerto Rico
    01-13-10 08:00 PM
    It is not roaming charge really, it is per minute charge.

See attached shot of VZW site quoting rate.
    01-13-10 08:07 PM
    Here's what it says

Calling From Puerto Rico
    Cool, I guess all statements are a little bit right Lets have a beer
    01-13-10 08:10 PM
    Cool, I guess all statements are a little bit right Lets have a beer
    I will gladly accept.
    01-13-10 08:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD