I keep getting contradictory advice from Verizon. My son has a Storm and has just landed in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Will he be able to send and receive BBM'S to his friends and us while there without having activated the red SIM card? Is there a charge to do this? We were first told that he did not have to do anything before he left the US. Now we were told that he should have activated his red voda SIM card (they say it's in the back of the blackberry) before he left the US and that we should have put on an International Data plan for $69.99 for a month (we can cancel that as soon as he returns at the end of the week). Now that he's already in Mexico, will he be able to send BBM's? What about voice and emails? Thanks in advance!
    03-08-09 02:44 PM
    If they have CDMA towers I this area it will work. NO garr though. Mexico is funny place of late when it comes to phones working. The wife and I werew down there not long ago and had no problem getting email. It was at international usage but it worked.. There is website www.vzw.com/international look up cabo and it will tell you.

Addition

Calls .99 per minute
    Data 0.005 per KB without data plan
    Last edited by lastraid; 03-08-09 at 03:20 PM.
    03-08-09 03:18 PM
    So now I contacted Verizon Wireless again and spoke with someone new in international support. According to what she has read, free BBM'S are offered by Blackberry to it's customers in Mexico too and I do not have to activate any additional plans. I just received a BBM from my son telling me that he has landed in Cabo so I know that the BBM is working. I'm still not 100% sure that it's free. I've gotten 4 different answers from Verizon Wireless. Has anyone been to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico recently with a blackberry and used the BBM feature? Were you charged per BBM? Thanks!
    03-08-09 03:21 PM
    Document the conversation you had with the VZW global person. I am sure they did. IF there are charges for data with BBM, VZW will credit it.
    03-08-09 03:25 PM
    lastraid...thank you for your help!
    03-08-09 03:28 PM
    No problem. Enjoy
    03-08-09 03:30 PM
    So now I contacted Verizon Wireless again and spoke with someone new in international support. According to what she has read, free BBM'S are offered by Blackberry to it's customers in Mexico too and I do not have to activate any additional plans. I just received a BBM from my son telling me that he has landed in Cabo so I know that the BBM is working. I'm still not 100% sure that it's free. I've gotten 4 different answers from Verizon Wireless. Has anyone been to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico recently with a blackberry and used the BBM feature? Were you charged per BBM? Thanks!
    I think part of the reason your getting different answers is because reps that don't have Blackberrys don't even know what BBM is or how it's billed. According to the VZW global site (I am a new to Crackberry and don't have the ability to post links yet, 6 more posts to go, yay!) the pay per use plan it's $5.12/MB in Mexico . Or you can pay $69.99 for the Unlimited plan.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this one.
    03-08-09 04:17 PM
    You are correct. I just reported in KB not MB. but your math is correct. I also posted website earlier
    03-08-09 04:22 PM
    Just tell your son to hang with a large group of people and not to walk into any side streets after dark. And while we all wish they won't do it - make sure he doesn't over do it. Go to MIG: Mexico Travel Alert

This link will have the latest update for American citizens traveling in Mexico.
    03-08-09 08:01 PM
    My son is going to cabo next month on break, thanks for posting that link. My wife has been very worried about him going with all things going on. I have never been to Cabo, but I am hoping that it is pretty safe.. Sorry to be off topic
    03-09-09 02:25 PM
    I also spoke with two reps in the global dept and they said that you can setup the international data service for $64.99 before you leave and that it would be unlimited data (5gig i'm assuming) like it is here in the states. For five days of prorated use I was quoted about $11. The gf and I are going to cancun in april and they said it'd be the same for us since there is CDMA service there too (we both have an 8330). Can anyone confirm this? I just want to know if anyone here has personal experience. Dont want to come back and see a ridiculous bill! So email and BBM should be included correct? Thanks!
    03-14-09 10:17 PM
    Checked out the VZW site. 64.99 will give unlim data in Mexico. This will be prorated from the time you add it to the time you remove it. unless you keep it the entire billing cycle. Will also work per use at 0.005 per KB
    03-14-09 10:34 PM
    My son is going to cabo next month on break, thanks for posting that link. My wife has been very worried about him going with all things going on. I have never been to Cabo, but I am hoping that it is pretty safe.. Sorry to be off topic
    No problem and you are welcome. It's never off topic when it comes to safety of our love ones.
    03-15-09 07:13 AM
    So MugsyMae were you charged?
    04-01-10 02:30 PM
    Yay! A global thread with no misinformation! Kudos everyone!
    04-01-10 08:11 PM
    We are in Todos Santos for a week but have no BB service. Here is a fact: Verizon does not offer any GSM service in Mexico. Where we are - about an hour north of Cabo - there are no CDMA towers, but there are at least 2 GSM - TelCel and movistar. But VZW does not have an agreements. 3 separate VZW reps gave me bad info - that I could pick up GSM when outside the range of CDMA. So be advised.
    01-05-11 11:26 AM
    Would add there is good CDMA coverage in Cabo. Just not up the Pacific coast.
    01-05-11 11:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD