I have a Verizon Blackberry Storm 2 and I am about to go abroad for 3 1/2 months. I was planning on putting my service on hold for the time and picking it back up when I got back. I don't think I want an international plan and I'm still under contract with Verizon.
    I heard rumors that you can BBM while abroad for free. Is this true? Can I use my domestic plan while abroad for BBMing?

Thanks
    08-27-10 05:19 PM
    BBM uses data and data is not free. The Global data plan is 64.99 or 69.98 depending on if you want to add the value plan and that will give you Unlimited Data. Or you can have your phone unlocked and suspended and you can use a local SIM. None of you VZW data or features will work, but it might be more cost effective.
    08-27-10 05:35 PM
    You need an international data plan covering the area where you will be in order to use data services when outside your coverage area.

BBM is "free" to message people all over the world when YOU and your BlackBerry are in the area coverage by your plan.

BBM is not free when YOU are outside your coverage area.
    08-27-10 05:37 PM
    Can I unlock my phone and get a SIM card while abroad without voiding my Verizon contract?
    How expensive would that be?
    I am going to Barcelona, Spain, if that matters.

The service I was planning on using was Realcom abroad. Again, if that matters.
    Last edited by slafa23; 08-27-10 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Clarification, more detail
    08-27-10 05:41 PM
    Can I unlock my phone and get a SIM card while abroad without voiding my Verizon contract?
    How expensive would that be?
    I am going to Barcelona, Spain, if that matters.

The service I was planning on using was Realcom abroad. Again, if that matters.
    You can get your SIM unlocked and it does not void your contract. As long as you meet these requirements:
    -Current account
    -have been a customer for at least 60 days
    -no non-pay disconnects past 60 days
    -and you must have the phone active on the account and be the Account Owner or Account Holder.

unlocking the phone is free or were you asking about getting a Spanish SIM...because I have no idea how much that is.
    08-27-10 05:54 PM
    By getting my SIM unlocked, does that mean unlocking my Blackberry?

Is this worth it or is it less expensive to rent a SIM card on a cheap phone for the time that I am there.
    08-27-10 07:44 PM
    You'd be better off unlocking the Storm2. And to correct some stuff in here, you need to:

1. Have had 1 year of service on your account.

2. Be in good standing with Verizon (no missed payments)

And from what I learned at the verizon training I went to, you do have to pay an amount to get the device unlocked via Verizon, but I can't remember the amount. Probably about $20 if I'm guessing right.
    08-28-10 12:10 PM
    Would I have the same number over there?

I am confused by the whole process. I have an unlocked phone (cheap, old Nokia) that I will probably rent a SIM card for. Is it more cost effective to just use the SIM card for the Blackberry?
    08-28-10 12:15 PM
    If you unlock the phone and use another SIM card from a carrier overseas, then you would have a brand new number unique to the area.

And the SIM card is locked to Vodafone, and you would have to get the SIM card activated on your plan regardless of the phone you use. I'd stick with using that Nokia and getting a prepaid SIM card from whatever country you go to.
    08-28-10 02:22 PM
    i just unlocked my verizon bold today; i'm moving to the uk in two weeks. verizon tried to tell me it was illegal so i just paid $10 to have one of the unlockers on here do it for me.

my understanding from here on out is: buy a local sim card when you are overseas, and figure out whatever kind of pay as you go plan you plan on using. from there, you will be using whatever carrier you choose, and within the parameters of the plan you choose.

i understand what you mean though, the whole process kind of confuses me too. still figuring it all out.

i basically just want to make sure i can BBM with my family back here in the states..everyone in my family has a berry. so when i go to buy a sim/pay as you go plan, i just need to make sure there is a decent amount of data available, correct?
    08-29-10 05:33 PM
    i just unlocked my verizon bold today; i'm moving to the uk in two weeks. verizon tried to tell me it was illegal so i just paid $10 to have one of the unlockers on here do it for me.

my understanding from here on out is: buy a local sim card when you are overseas, and figure out whatever kind of pay as you go plan you plan on using. from there, you will be using whatever carrier you choose, and within the parameters of the plan you choose.

i understand what you mean though, the whole process kind of confuses me too. still figuring it all out.

i basically just want to make sure i can BBM with my family back here in the states..everyone in my family has a berry. so when i go to buy a sim/pay as you go plan, i just need to make sure there is a decent amount of data available, correct?
    You obviously spoke with some one in CS. It is not illegal. Lmao.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-10 06:32 PM
    You obviously spoke with some one in CS. It is not illegal. Lmao.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    LOL i know, i told her that and i told her what i thought of her for trying to spew lies to me. eh, $10 well spent. i'm just happy its done now.
    08-29-10 07:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD