08-03-09 08:14 AM
97 ... 234
tools
    (1) WTF? Even Verizon's BB World phone doesn't work in the US for GSM. Do you have a clue what GSM frequencies are and the difference between the world and US GSM?

(2) If your contract is done, it's done!!! The recoup for the discount on the retail price on the phone is made up over the term of the contract. The issue has NOTHING to do with my contract with VZW, but with VZW's contract with RIM to provide services.

(4) You cannot put any VZW blackberry on AT&T's service because they run on two completely different network protocols. VZW is CDMA technology and AT&T is GSM. Even beginners to mobile phone technology know this. (Note, I'm not sure if the storm is quad band and whether it might work on AT&T both re GSM and the issues of the BB operating system service books, etc.... we are talking about standard 88xx and 83xx series.)
    1) You can use any quad band phone on ANY network with the proper configuration.

2) If your contract is done... and VZW doesn't offer the option you want... try another carrier!

4) You can put a Storm, Tour, WE and any other sim card available phone VZW offers on to ATT. Seen it done plenty of times. When I had my old storm it was unlocked (for international travel to areas that wasn't beneficial to me to use what VZW offered... big red bad wolf saved me a lot of money) and for sh*ts and giggles I used a buddies ATT sim card in my phone. Just have to send service books. Not rocket science. Standard 8830 on VZW will work on another carrier. 8330 from VZW will not. It's not a quad band or even dual band phone!

This thread has starting a huge pissing match... I am still learning to write my name in cursive on the wall. BRB I am gonna go try again. Can't we all just get along?
    08-01-09 11:39 AM
    1) You can use any quad band phone on ANY network with the proper configuration.

2) If your contract is done... and VZW doesn't offer the option you want... try another carrier!

4) You can put a Storm, Tour, WE and any other sim card available phone VZW offers on to ATT. Seen it done plenty of times. When I had my old storm it was unlocked (for international travel to areas that wasn't beneficial to me to use what VZW offered... big red bad wolf saved me a lot of money) and for sh*ts and giggles I used a buddies ATT sim card in my phone. Just have to send service books. Not rocket science. Standard 8830 on VZW will work on another carrier. 8330 from VZW will not. It's not a quad band or even dual band phone!

This thread has starting a huge pissing match... I am still learning to write my name in cursive on the wall. BRB I am gonna go try again. Can't we all just get along?
    I agree with you so I'll respond with some thought.

(1) The Verizon Curve is NOT quad band. It can only be used on VZW.

(2) Once again, the Verizon 8330 can only be used on VZW. They changed their plans from when I bought it to "data plus voice only" so that anyone who owns one MUST pay $80 or more. It's either that or your 8330 is a brick.

(4) While it's not the subject of conversation, an 8830 world phone does NOT work on any other carrier in the US for GSM. I own one. The Verizon Wireless World Phone 8830 has GSM frequencies ONLY for Europe. It uses CDMA in the US. Your storm is a Quad band phone that CAN be used on other carriers.

The reason why it's a pissing match is because there is one buffoon who refuses to acknowledge that Verizon's conduct is gouging. If you bought an 8330 for the fact that it can be used as phone and/or data, you've found out this is no longer true. As I said, it's $80 per month with data or you need to buy another phone. If Verizon Wireless allowed me a trade in value for another phone that would give me the same voice and/or data plan I was promised (without any new contract) when I invested in the phone, at least that would be somewhat more reasonable.
    08-01-09 12:53 PM
    And I did provide false information. The WE will not work on ATT. Wrong GSM frequency.
    08-01-09 02:10 PM
    Cleaned up the fighting and exchange of insults. On topic and polite please, or further moderator action will be required.
    08-01-09 03:33 PM
    Cleaned up the fighting and exchange of insults. On topic and polite please, or further moderator action will be required.
    Why don't you close this thread? There is nothing to debate.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-09 04:29 PM
    I agree with you so I'll respond with some thought.

(1) The Verizon Curve is NOT quad band. It can only be used on VZW.

(2) Once again, the Verizon 8330 can only be used on VZW. They changed their plans from when I bought it to "data plus voice only" so that anyone who owns one MUST pay $80 or more. It's either that or your 8330 is a brick.

(4) While it's not the subject of conversation, an 8830 world phone does NOT work on any other carrier in the US for GSM. I own one. The Verizon Wireless World Phone 8830 has GSM frequencies ONLY for Europe. It uses CDMA in the US. Your storm is a Quad band phone that CAN be used on other carriers.

The reason why it's a pissing match is because there is one buffoon who refuses to acknowledge that Verizon's conduct is gouging. If you bought an 8330 for the fact that it can be used as phone and/or data, you've found out this is no longer true. As I said, it's $80 per month with data or you need to buy another phone. If Verizon Wireless allowed me a trade in value for another phone that would give me the same voice and/or data plan I was promised (without any new contract) when I invested in the phone, at least that would be somewhat more reasonable.

You were never promised anything as ridiculous as you claim.

08-01-09 04:34 PM
    Why does anyone want a BlackBerry without a data plan?
    08-01-09 04:51 PM
    Why don't you close this thread? There is nothing to debate.

I agree. At least once a week someone with a very low post count appears and wants to know why verizon requires data or wants to know how to get around it.

I have had BBs on verizon since at least early 2006 when the price was $44.99 and BBs were superior to any other smartphone. This applied if you were on a contract or not and the data plan was never part of the contract. Yet these people come here, argue (as if we can change reality) and accomplish nothng except stirring up crap.

Close it and deny them their troublemaking soapbox.

08-01-09 05:09 PM
    I agree. At least once a week someone with a very low post count appears and wants to know why verizon requires data or wants to know how to get around it.

I have had BBs on verizon since at least early 2006 when the price was $44.99 and BBs were superior to any other smartphone. This applied if you were on a contract or not and the data plan was never part of the contract. Yet these people come here, argue (as if we can change reality) and accomplish nothng except stirring up crap.

Close it and deny them their troublemaking soapbox.

AGREED! - They would just open another one.
    08-01-09 05:12 PM
    Why does anyone want a BlackBerry without a data plan?
    You might ask a Rogers rep about that. They seem to have a slightly different problem in Canada

http://forums.crackberry.com/f73/rog...a-plan-283479/
    08-01-09 05:58 PM
    It's pointless to own a BB if your not going to have a data plan .
    08-01-09 06:59 PM
    Hey, I've actually seen that a bunch of times (like 4 or 5 times) and it is always when the customer comes in with a warranty/insurance blackberry that they had activated themselves. I think it is actually an accident because when you dial *228 3 it wont add/remove features and is supposed to dial customer service if it has to.... and btw I've tried and there is no fool proof way to get it on without the data plan.
    08-01-09 08:52 PM
    I just got a call from a customer who has had an omnia for 9 months with no data plan and shes mad because she has $120 in data charges.
    08-01-09 11:35 PM
    I just got a call from a customer who has had an omnia for 9 months with no data plan and shes mad because she has $120 in data charges.
    Ha ha! I love hearing "no, i wont ever use that" then they come in a month later and have 135 cookies freezing up thier browser.
    08-02-09 04:10 PM
    Right?

She goes "well I want to keep my omnia without a data plan (which idk how she got an omnia with no data plan) but I want you to waive these charges becuase I didn't use it."

It was already an escalated call and she escalated above me.
    08-02-09 04:13 PM
    she isnt going to get anywhere. They might leave the account "as-is" but she isnt going to get credit for it. If you do a warranty exchange and they didnt have a pda before or if they had a BB data plan you can activate it with no data. We have to go in manually to do it and we in no way shape or form let customers know this or process the activation with no data plan.

Just wanted to put that out there lol. We dont do anything that isnt in line with Verizons policys at our store.
    08-02-09 04:39 PM
    Well the thing is no matter how much she escalates, it literally CAN'T be done.

@smachart= The system auto-populates correct features now in my area (has for over a year now), so even doing the warranty thing manually doesn't work.
    08-02-09 04:49 PM
    I think the only way to activate it without a data plan would be if you still had vision access. ACSS and netACE both auto add the feature.

Again, I'm not sure how this customer got an omnia without a data plan, I told her that lady.. No matter how high she goes up shes not getting a re-rate unless she adds a data plan. I was willing to leave the acct "as-is" but maybe my sup won't .
    08-02-09 06:42 PM
    2. No offense, your rationale is absurd and I'll guess women might take some offense with you. It makes no difference to Verizon whether a phone is a Blackberry any more than a Voyager. It's just an ESN number. As others stated, VZW did this because they can force more money out of you and nobody, not government, is stopping them.
    Trust me when I say I know what offends women.

Why does everybody on the internet think I'm a guy?
    08-02-09 11:59 PM
    Why does everybody on the internet think I'm a guy?
    Because there are no women on the internet, just men pretending to be women. And cops.
    08-03-09 12:21 AM
    no data plan would be mean a painfully large bill....
    08-03-09 12:59 AM
    I think the only way to activate it without a data plan would be if you still had vision access. ACSS and netACE both auto add the feature.

Again, I'm not sure how this customer got an omnia without a data plan, I told her that lady.. No matter how high she goes up shes not getting a re-rate unless she adds a data plan. I was willing to leave the acct "as-is" but maybe my sup won't .
    True and they are always surprised. I had a lady with the 15$ Vpak and I told her we would have to bump it up to 29.99 and she was pissed, I think she had it on their for near a year like that. She escalated and my super wouldnt budge.
    08-03-09 08:14 AM
97 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD