08-03-09 07:14 AM
97 1234
tools
    So they would be back to paying $29,99 a month. I don't see how this helped any one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yeah it obviously won't help you because you don't understand.
    07-16-09 12:16 PM
    So they would be back to paying $29,99 a month. I don't see how this helped any one.

As long as Verizon didn't notice, they would be fine. So that would probably mean they shouldn't call in at all if they have problems cuz they might see that when they call.

Technically if a device has WiFi you should not be forced to get a data plan. I would be happy with a storm 2 with just wifi cuz I don't need a browser cuz I hate browsing on phones unless I really need to.
    07-16-09 01:33 PM
    Oh yes and they you say well I can block it but you can't get pics then.... and then the **** begins
    07-16-09 02:28 PM
    Data does not work on my used blackberry anyway I can get them to take it off because the next step for me is to cancel verizon for charging me for a service that does not work...

I have spent over 6 hours with tech support and the conclusion is the service will never work but they still wont take it off.
    07-16-09 08:39 PM
    Data does not work on my used blackberry anyway I can get them to take it off because the next step for me is to cancel verizon for charging me for a service that does not work...

I have spent over 6 hours with tech support and the conclusion is the service will never work but they still wont take it off.
    Just because you broke your phone doesn't mean Verizon needs to rewrite a policy to meet your needs.
    07-16-09 10:34 PM

Buy a working phone for that line or pay the ETF. It is not verizon's fault you either broke your phone or bought a broken one.

Man up and own up.

07-16-09 11:23 PM
    It does make sense to me. Having a bb with no data plan is a preferrence. I should be able to have a cool looking phone without having to dish out 30 bucks a month. Its not that it doesnt make any sense. People have different needs. I would like to have a storm with just voice and texting plan and do away with data plan. I have a laptop for that.
    07-17-09 07:38 AM
    So let me summarize:
    IF you own a blackberry device, YOU MUST have a DATA plan or Verizon will NOT activate the PHONE, CORRECT?
    07-17-09 07:42 AM
    It does make sense to me. Having a bb with no data plan is a preferrence. I should be able to have a cool looking phone without having to dish out 30 bucks a month. Its not that it doesnt make any sense. People have different needs. I would like to have a storm with just voice and texting plan and do away with data plan. I have a laptop for that.
    Yeah and I know that a ton of ppl would, even a pearl is small/clean and I have customer's that would like to do it all the time... but VZW needs their moneys
    07-17-09 07:42 AM
    SO ALL you people out there who owns a blackberry device and doesnt want a data plan ... GO GET A PHONE that is not a blackberry device.......
    07-17-09 07:46 AM
    Thats what it would seem
    07-17-09 08:42 AM
    Yup - and I should be able to get a Corvette that gets 50MPG, an Alienware computer with 1GB RAM & P3 processor to save money, and a huge house without having to pay for a large power bill - all because I just want to look "cool.".

Even with unlocked phones & open network policies, the carriers will still have plan requirements.

Get an unlocked Omnia II on another carrier. It is a better phone than the Storm anyway.

07-17-09 09:00 AM
    SO ALL you people out there who owns a blackberry device and doesnt want a data plan ... GO GET A PHONE that is not a blackberry device.......
    We should have COMPLETE control over our device. Alltel always gave that to me...
    07-17-09 10:26 AM
    We should have COMPLETE control over our device. Alltel always gave that to me...
    Yeah I was kinda lookin for feedback but apparently if its a little off subject the thread nazis come running and try to make us feel stupid. NO THREAD FOR YOU!
    07-17-09 10:33 AM
    The phone is to the service as an inkjet printer is to ink cartridges.
    You buy an inkjet printer for $30 and when you run out of ink (or the cartridges dry up) you continue paying $30 per cartridge.
    You get a $500 phone for $100 so that you can pay for 2 years of service with the data plan. If anyone thinks the carriers are in the business of selling phones you are living in la-la land. They are selling the service.
    07-17-09 12:12 PM
    The phone is to the service as an inkjet printer is to ink cartridges.
    You buy an inkjet printer for $30 and when you run out of ink (or the cartridges dry up) you continue paying $30 per cartridge.
    You get a $500 phone for $100 so that you can pay for 2 years of service with the data plan. If anyone thinks the carriers are in the business of selling phones you are living in la-la land. They are selling the service.
    Yeah I think we all get that part but I'm thinking the phone is to service as a phone is to service. If other phones can do it then I personally think that they should let them do the same. Its not like a car you buy and you have to put gas in it to work...
    Last edited by blue_and_bold; 07-17-09 at 02:34 PM.
    07-17-09 12:23 PM
    And you can see how far that got them...oh thats right, Alltel was sold off.

Verizon is simplifying things. You may be an exception, one of the few who knows how to use a device without using data, but for a company with 80 million customers, rather than have to staff extra CS to fix people who don't know better, they said anyone with a smartphone needs a data plan. Now you don't have people who buy smart phones who have a pay-as-you-go plan running up crazy bills because they didn't realize their phone uses data, even when they aren't browsing the web.
    07-17-09 03:12 PM
    I think that at this point, any thread about getting around the data plans for Blackberries just needs to be deleted. It's nothing but spreading misinformation to get people riled up. If you want to look cool, get a leather jacket, not a Blackberry.
    I agree. They did it because they can and a very few are upset because they can't. If you don't want a data plan, get a flip phone. Verizon isn't in business to cater to poseurs especially when the data plan helps subsidize the phone price. I am not willing to pay extra for my phone for a few pretenders out there.

You say Carrier X allows it? Fine then go to Carrier X. But Carrier X probably has plans to require it too in the very near future.

Some people really need to grow up and realize it is just a phone and they have no right to a phone.

07-18-09 12:18 AM
    I think that at this point, any thread about getting around the data plans for Blackberries just needs to be deleted. It's nothing but spreading misinformation to get people riled up. If you want to look cool, get a leather jacket, not a Blackberry.

I agree and I have seen people with blackberry devices without a data plan who added the bb before the upgrades to acss.net. With the new acss, adding a bb without a data plan may happen, not likely, but once you make a single change on the account, that bb data plan is going right back on there.

I have also seen bb devices without a data plan that had $10k data charges attached to them.

VZW has an agreement with RIM that every single bb sold will have a data plan, much like ATT and the iphone. Any way around the data plan is a system error/fluke, it does happen, and once you make a single change to the account, the self audit adds that data plan right back.

Now, this thread definitely needs to be locked. It should never really have been posted in the first place because it is a bit misleading.
    07-18-09 07:37 PM
    Why do so many of you care if people want BlackBerrys without data plans? If I was in charge of decisions at Verizon, I'd sell BlackBerrys to people without data plans, I'd just make them pay the full price of the phone. If they are willing to pay $500 to have a phone then let them.
    07-20-09 08:45 PM
    Why do so many of you care if people want BlackBerrys without data plans? If I was in charge of decisions at Verizon, I'd sell BlackBerrys to people without data plans, I'd just make them pay the full price of the phone. If they are willing to pay $500 to have a phone then let them.
    verizon makes money on plans, not phones.

if you are willing to buy a phone for 500, why not just buy the data plan and get the 2 year plan. there are much better phones if you just need a qwerty keypad. without bbm or internet connection the blackberry is worthless. i guess some can argue the contact manager is good, but anyone using this phone for business should be able to afford the data plan.

and there is no wifi on verizon phones, so there is no reason to buy a blackberry without the data plan.

its definitely worth the 30 bucks for bbm, internet, web apps, email, tethering with tetherberry, etc.
    07-21-09 08:23 AM
    And here's the answer as to why someone would want a BB with no data plan. I'm provided a BB through my job. They don't put texting on their plan (we're charged a per msg txt rate). I want to be able to text my family so I'm going to add another phone to my personal plan and carry two phones. Sux but it is what it is. Now I've got a ton of old blackberrys at work and would love to do my texting via a full KB. So I want to add one of the old BB's that I own as a second phone with just voice and text. I've already bought the BB and payed for 2+ years with the full unlimited data plan. I now have a newer BB that I'm still paying unlimited data on until I upgraded it. Why can't I activate my old one as text/voice only? Block data. It's crazy that I can't.
    07-24-09 03:46 PM
    And here's the answer as to why someone would want a BB with no data plan. I'm provided a BB through my job. They don't put texting on their plan (we're charged a per msg txt rate). I want to be able to text my family so I'm going to add another phone to my personal plan and carry two phones. Sux but it is what it is. Now I've got a ton of old blackberrys at work and would love to do my texting via a full KB. So I want to add one of the old BB's that I own as a second phone with just voice and text. I've already bought the BB and payed for 2+ years with the full unlimited data plan. I now have a newer BB that I'm still paying unlimited data on until I upgraded it. Why can't I activate my old one as text/voice only? Block data. It's crazy that I can't.
    Simple - and once again if you read all this place. A BB CANNOT be activated without a data plan. Does not matter if you paid 10 years for a data plan or not. Also, SMS does not use data, but I think you knew that
    07-24-09 04:08 PM

why dont you just buy an old phone that has a keyboard on it? Or get a prepaid plan that has unlimited texting. Those cost 30 dollars a month. Minimal phone use and unlimited texting. You just have to pay more for the phone because you dont have a contract.
    07-24-09 04:10 PM
    Why can't I activate my old one as text/voice only?
    The answer is simple: $$. It's not a technical inability, it's just Verizon's business policy. Arguing the logic of it won't change it. I've got 2 bb's running on T-Mobile with no data.
    07-24-09 08:07 PM
97 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD