Is it me or do all the other carriers get the cool new Blackberry units? It seems like Verzion is always playing catch up to compete with the other Blackberries around.

Am I crazy or missing something?
    04-14-10 12:58 PM
    It seems that RIM is a GSM centric company, hence why a lot of GSM carriers get the better devices first. Although that has been changing as of late
    04-14-10 01:30 PM
    I think Total's response is correct, though there may also be other issues as well. Certainly, carrier policy may well impact which phones come on board as well. Since each carrier buys from multiple phone manufacturers, they offer phones based on their market analysis, manufacturer incentives and how/where the new device will fill out their total selection. They can only carry so many devices, and if Device A is still hot and selling well, they may be reluctant to bring on Device B if A is doing better for them.
    04-14-10 01:34 PM
    It seems that RIM is a GSM centric company, hence why a lot of GSM carriers get the better devices first. Although that has been changing as of late
    Yeah.....Hence!
    04-14-10 02:02 PM
    I guess I see your point. And I do see subtle changes sometimes. I guess that I'm frustrated after using a Tour and then seeing all of these new versions of Blackberries come out like the 9700 I get the feeling that unless they do a total overhaul of the Tour or add to Verizon' s line up that we get left behind again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-10 02:21 PM
    Sprint < Verizon, Blackberry wise...
    04-14-10 02:47 PM
    This is a CDMA and GSM thing. Look at the other devices that Verizon gets later than other GSM carriers, it's not just BlackBerry devices that lag behind on the Verizon lineup. Sprint is even worse, unfortunately.

That being said, this issue should clear itself up once Verizon switches to LTE, which is GSM.
    04-14-10 03:04 PM
    This is a CDMA and GSM thing. Look at the other devices that Verizon gets later than other GSM carriers, it's not just BlackBerry devices that lag behind on the Verizon lineup. Sprint is even worse, unfortunately.

That being said, this issue should clear itself up once Verizon switches to LTE, which is GSM.
    I sure hope so! It would be nice to have more choices.

04-14-10 03:16 PM
    Its very much about the GSM vs CDMA issue. They are two separate radio types and I believe that CDMA radio manufacturing is exclusive to Qualcomm.

I would also imagine there are also some major differences in the underlying software/firmware because of the differences in the GSM and CDMA radios.
    04-14-10 06:24 PM
    GSM is widely use where as CDMA is used in a few countries. RIM is going to focus worldwide so GSM would be a good way to go and then work on CDMA.
    04-14-10 08:24 PM
    To VZWs credit, they did carry the banner through the Storm1 and Storm2. VZW and Sprint had the Tour, which was already in the works. The 9650 Bold is essentially a CDMA (and global GSM phone) counterpart to the 9700 Bold. Having said that, VZW is probably also the toughest carrier to get a phone approved for their network.
    04-16-10 04:37 PM
    I agree to the point that its largely a matter of scale. In the US there are more CDMA subscribers than GSM (I think) but the rest of the planet is almost exclusively GSM for now. You really notice this with OS releases and leaks. GSM sees way more leaks because there are more carriers, thus more potential for a leak. Add that to the Qualcomm chipsets that are always "almost as good" as the best GSM processor, and it does give a feeling of being second best.
    On the other had it also seems that VZW is leaving RIM behind. They no longer trumpet the arrival of BlackBerries like they used to. It seems the Android has stolen their heart.

04-17-10 04:11 AM
    I would have to agree with that point of VZW no longer trumpet to Blackberry. They do push all the android phones much more. But I think that's because of all the hype with the iphone. VZW keeps trying to find the best phone they can to compete with the Iphone. Whatever that may be that's what VZW goes after and gets pushed the most. Not that's it wrong. I know most blackberry users could care less about the iphone. The Blackberry is a buisness phone and the Iphone is not. But it's mainstream people who they are trying to get.

I get fed up with only being able to get VZW service in my area and keep seeing the cool new Blackberries that AT&T and T-Mobile get, and think what about us? If it is a GSM / CDMA thing then it might be Verizon holding us back and not Blackberry!

I agree to the point that its largely a matter of scale. In the US there are more CDMA subscribers than GSM (I think) but the rest of the planet is almost exclusively GSM for now. You really notice this with OS releases and leaks. GSM sees way more leaks because there are more carriers, thus more potential for a leak. Add that to the Qualcomm chipsets that are always "almost as good" as the best GSM processor, and it does give a feeling of being second best.
    On the other had it also seems that VZW is leaving RIM behind. They no longer trumpet the arrival of BlackBerries like they used to. It seems the Android has stolen their heart.

04-17-10 08:01 AM
    If it is a GSM / CDMA thing then it might be Verizon holding us back and not Blackberry!
    Really? So Sprint has all the cool Blackberry's you desire? Hmmm...
    04-17-10 11:17 AM
    For those on the GSM bandwagon, claiming CDMA limitations -- consider this:

Beyond North America, the other major CDMA networks are in Korea, Japan, India, China...literally, from Afghanistan through to southeast Asia, you can find significant CDMA infrastructure.

CDMA is not lacking in Europe, though you do have to look for it. The issue there is that many European countries have laws against "locked" devices.

Even in the western hemisphere, there is significant CDMA infrastructure outside the US (beyond Canada and Mexico), such as in Nicaragua, Peru, Guatemala, Colombia...
    Last edited by Gawain; 04-17-10 at 02:34 PM.
    04-17-10 02:24 PM
    Is it me or do all the other carriers get the cool new Blackberry units?
    It is you. Tell me what Blackberries on other networks do that they can't on Verizons network.
    04-17-10 07:10 PM
    Don't get your hopes up on LTE solving this issue - my understanding is that VZW will use LTE for Data however, Voice will continue on CDMA for many years to come.
    04-18-10 02:25 PM
    LTE is neither CDMA nor GSM. Both CDMA (except for Sprint) and GSM providers are migrating to the new LTE framework. Both the LTE air interface (OFDMA) and the LTE back end (which is IP-based) are different from that currently used by GSM providers. LTE has been designed to interoperate with the GSM network, but interoperability with CDMA networks is also in the works (which is why VZW joined the LTE consortium, to make sure this happens).

And as another poster pointed out, for the time being VZW will continue using the CDMA network for voice.
    04-18-10 08:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD