The Storm 2 is supposed to have WiFi... an future BlackBerry phones are also supposed to have WiFi. Will Verizon require us to maintain the data plan even though WiFi can be used instead?

Also, would they offer additional plans; say one that's limited to 20mb/mo or so. I've got two berry's on my account and after paying for a data plan for each it kind of get's costly.
    09-21-09 06:29 PM
    The phones that already have wifi require data plans so I doubt anything will change.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-09 06:35 PM
    The phones that already have wifi require data plans so I doubt anything will change.

I'll co-sign on that. I doubt anything will change. AT&T Berries have had wifi for sometime now and they just recently implemented the data plan requirement.
    09-21-09 06:39 PM
    They won't change.

09-21-09 06:47 PM
    Looking forward to the flood of posts about this same subject. They have an agreement with RIM, so data plan is staying. All carriers are requiring it now so just get used to it or don't get a blackberry.
    09-21-09 06:51 PM
    Oh this is classic.
    09-21-09 10:05 PM
    Yes it is classic. I thought everyone heard the news the other night. Verizon BBs are slated to gain wifi with lte networks sometime in 2011. At that time, BBs will be able to access the Verizon wifi network for $29.99 per month on top of their data plan charges. BB users will be able to specify one wifi network other than Verizon ones for free and you will be able to change that selection once per month. Tethering will not be an option on BBs with wifi and data. Throughput will be disabled to keep things like pdanet and tetherberry from being used.

Want wifi? That will be $60 per month please.

09-21-09 10:19 PM
    no way will they rape me!!! cancellation ^^^^^^^
    09-22-09 12:40 AM
    What!? Was that satire??? *blink*

09-22-09 01:07 AM
    Satire about rape? I think not! Egads, woman!

09-22-09 01:31 AM
    Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

Sense-making answer: If we don't require data plans, people activate PDAs without them and either ask to have it blocked (killing our profit on that phone line and/or driving up the price of that phone) or use all the data on a pay-per-use basis and cause far more damage to their bill than they would on a "dumbphone". They then call us and complain about their bills, demand it all be credited, etc....

It's far easier, and cheaper, to filter out those types at the start.
    09-22-09 04:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD