12-07-11 12:05 AM
31 12
tools
    Would you mind digressing a bit about why you're unhappy with the Thunderbolt? I've been looking at switching from my Storm2 to a droid phone (either the Thunderbolt or the newer Rezound) and would be interested in your opinion as to why you're switching back to BB. As someone who is considering the opposite switch, it would be much appreciated!
    I had a ThunderBolt for several months and overcame the battery life issues with the extended battery, nearly twice the capacity - a must if you're in a 4G coverage area.

Also, if you connect to MS Exchange, you may want to rethink the switch to Android. As cool as it is, it has never been able to utilize EAS as designed (having tried Droid X, TBolt, and Droid RAZR) fully to my satisfaction. Of course, if you use gmail, it works flawlessly. Otherwise, totally dig Android. HTC's Sense UI is nice too. I'm intrigued by the Nexus and the "raw" OS with no UI, but I've given up on Android as long as I have to work through my work servers, etc.

I'm getting ready to drop my 9930 and make the plunge to iOS. I've used it with Exchange before with no issues, and webOS is no longer a viable option. I've tried WP7 and as well as it works with Exchange (obviously), as a whole, I couldn't get comfortable with the UI (especially how contacts are managed). Don't get me wrong, I think it's brilliant, a smooth operator for sure. It just didn't fit for me.

The only reason why I'm going to give the BB a rest is because since the last OS update, my bluetooth drops at its whim, GPS seems to lock then crash the device about half the time, and I'm consistently getting "delayed" by hourglass type issues. Battery pulls are a temporary solution, but for such "new" hardware (got mine at launch), I'm really disappointed that I'm running into basic performance issues so soon in the game. Even though I'm on BES, I'm willing to leave it for something else for more consistent performance. We'll see...
    Last edited by Gawain; 12-01-11 at 11:09 AM.
    12-01-11 11:06 AM
    I too have the Thunderbolt. The standard battery life is pitiful so an extended battery is pretty much required to get any real usage out of this phone. I have the extended battery and it's great.

That being said, touchscreens aren't for everyone. I hope you're happy with your future phone.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.
    12-01-11 05:20 PM
    My 9930 should arrive today. Upgraded thru Radio Shack and the phone was free with $9.95 shipping. Kept my same unlimited data plan etc. I couldn't see paying the $169.00 to upgrade that Verizon was offering.

I really hope this works out thru Radio Shack without messing up my plan. I'll update if it does.

If you're interested, the 9930 is still showing free + shipping on the website.

I'm not affiliated with RS. Just wanted to make sure those wanting a cheaper option knew of one.
    I'm sure this is a naive question - how can they afford to "sell" it at that price. They are not the carrier getting the monthly fees? What's the catch? It would just renew my existing contract with Verizon?

edited to add: I've got an older grandfathered PHONE plan but the normal UNlimited data for about $30/month. Seems the site wants to "upgrade" my phone plan.
    Last edited by F2; 12-01-11 at 05:42 PM.
    12-01-11 05:25 PM
    I'm sure this is a naive question - how can they afford to "sell" it at that price. They are not the carrier getting the monthly fees? What's the catch? It would just renew my existing contract with Verizon?

edited to add: I've got an older grandfathered PHONE plan but the normal UNlimited data for about $30/month. Seems the site wants to "upgrade" my phone plan.
    When you buy a phone on contract through major agents like that (Radio Shack, Best Buy, Amazon, et al), you are also agreeing to *their* terms as well. The ETF for example isn't just on the carrier (VZW), you are likely also liable for an ETF to the agent as well. Plus, all agents get a "commission" from VZW (or any carrier they sell for) for each contract. This is possible because the subsidized price (say the initial $200) isn't covered solely by the carrier. The retailer bears some of that as well. Any further subsidy then rides on the retailer themselves. As in life, nothing is truly free.
    12-06-11 03:53 PM
    When you buy a phone on contract through major agents like that (Radio Shack, Best Buy, Amazon, et al), you are also agreeing to *their* terms as well. The ETF for example isn't just on the carrier (VZW), you are likely also liable for an ETF to the agent as well. Plus, all agents get a "commission" from VZW (or any carrier they sell for) for each contract. This is possible because the subsidized price (say the initial $200) isn't covered solely by the carrier. The retailer bears some of that as well. Any further subsidy then rides on the retailer themselves. As in life, nothing is truly free.
    I have tried calling them but their number rings a fast busy - since last week. As I wrote, I have a cheaper calling plan. The RadioShack site does not appear to offer a renewal of that existing plan. So, while the price of FREE might be nice, the extra monthly costs would soon eat up any savings.

Back to see what Verizon does in the next few weeks.
    12-06-11 04:37 PM
    I was hoping for a decent sale from VZ to pick up a new phone and 2 year renewal. All I saw was old junk for sale. No razr sale or 4s for sale. I can understand the apple being full price, was hoping the droid would come down a little.
    12-07-11 12:05 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD