I was wondering, if you have a wi-fi blackberry that you deactivate to use a non-blackberry device...will you still be able to connect to BIS?

Will you still have access to BBM through Wi-Fi and all your data services through RIM's servers?

I know on my android phone I still can do data through wi fi with no porblems....there is a problem though if you reset the device in that it prompts you to activate the device I think.

But if I had a blackberry activated and connected to wi-fi, then turn off the cell connection (I believe you then get all your data over Wi-Fi) and activate an android device...wil my BIS service be shut off?

Is there communication between Verizon and RIM turning on or shutting of BIS service? Right now my blackberry doesn't have Wi-Fi, but BIS basically comes back instantly when I activate my blackberry.
    02-04-11 06:04 PM
    No. If you terminate the carrier activation, the RIM connection will be terminated as well.

The device PIN needs to be active in the BIS in order to get BlackBerry Data features such as BBM.
    02-04-11 07:33 PM
    So this is why they have a separate billing category for Blackberry even though it cost exactly the same as data plans on other smart phones.
    02-04-11 08:42 PM
    i could use my BB on wifi and have BBM and BIS with it deactivated. It was all good until i reloaded the OS and lost the service books and BB registration. So as long you dont reload the OS you might be able to use it. i was surprised how long i could use it without paying lol
    02-04-11 08:46 PM
    That's cool.

So I bet if your reactivated your blackberry after the OS load you could get it back.

So there are 3 Verizon Blackberries with Wi-Fi right?

Storm 2
    Curve 3G 9330
    Bold 9650
    02-05-11 12:12 AM
    should be able to yes
    02-05-11 12:20 AM
    This doesn't work for me. Wonder if it has to with OS6 or something.

As soon as I activate a non blackberry device I stop getting email push over wifi. Seems the webbrowser is still working, but google talk stops connecting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-11 10:40 PM
    This doesn't work for me. Wonder if it has to with OS6 or something.

As soon as I activate a non blackberry device I stop getting email push over wifi. Seems the webbrowser is still working, but google talk stops connecting. Seems like BBM stops working as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-11 10:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD