Hello CB community!

I currently have a BB8330 on BIS. My employer has offered to activate my device on their server in lieu of issuing me one of their devices. Apparently, it's as easy as them setting up a password for me, then I run through the EA from the device home screen. How (if at all) will activating my device on their server affect my ability to use BIS to access my 3 personal email accounts, the browser, etc.?

Thanks!
    Rob

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 11:59 PM
    I run 2 of my own BIS email accounts with my BES email with no issues but my company allows that. Its my own BB so they are very relaxed on their IT policy. I even do all of my own BES activations after a OS upgrade. But your company IT policy may have different standards and rules then mine so I would talk to your IT dept and see what they say. When you are connected to your companies enterprise server, you play by their rules.
    12-19-08 12:03 AM
    I don't have an answer to your question. I just wanted to point out that even if it is your personal BB, your company IT policy may keep you from using 3rd party apps and will have access to everything you do. Just wanted to give you something to consider.

12-19-08 12:03 AM
    I don't have an answer to your question. I just wanted to point out that even if it is your personal BB, your company IT policy may keep you from using 3rd party apps and will have access to everything you do. Just wanted to give you something to consider.

Thanks for adding that. I forgot to mention the 3rd party app thing with the BES. I have only been blocked from two apps of all that I tried. One was Opera Mini which I dont need anymore with the Bold and Miutunes 3rd party media player. I have seen other BES from other companies get blocked from using a media card, camera, and many other 3rd party apps
    12-19-08 12:09 AM
    You are welcome.

12-19-08 12:11 AM
    Hello CB community!

I currently have a BB8330 on BIS. My employer has offered to activate my device on their server in lieu of issuing me one of their devices. Apparently, it's as easy as them setting up a password for me, then I run through the EA from the device home screen. How (if at all) will activating my device on their server affect my ability to use BIS to access my 3 personal email accounts, the browser, etc.?

Thanks!
    Rob

if you want my personal opinion..

dont do it..

I wouldn't do it. Once you connect it to there BES they have control of your phone.. completely and as a whole.

They can see everything that goes through your phone sms,bbm,email, they control what you can add and take off of your phone.

Depending on what you signed when you were employed they may have writes to the physical device as well.

If things go sour and you quit it can be heck to get the policy off the phone.

Use one of there phones.

Keep in mind I don't want to push people away from the idea.. but what I posted is pretty true. When it comes to personal things I wouldn't consider putting on a company network of any sort.
    Last edited by noaim; 12-19-08 at 06:48 AM.
    12-19-08 06:42 AM
    I was under the impression that certain programs run independent of BES. What I mean: it was explained to me that my work email, contacts, calendar (basically ms outlook) runs through BES to my phone; but that's it. Data, i.e. SMS, Internet, and also phone usage goes through the device directly to vzw's network. After reading this post, am I incorrect?
    12-19-08 08:10 AM
    I was under the impression that certain programs run independent of BES. What I mean: it was explained to me that my work email, contacts, calendar (basically ms outlook) runs through BES to my phone; but that's it. Data, i.e. SMS, Internet, and also phone usage goes through the device directly to vzw's network. After reading this post, am I incorrect?
    Data/Internet will all flow through the BES. You are correct SMS will go through the providers network, but then your phone will send the info to the BES, so it can be logged there. Expect no privacy if you are on a BES. It doesnt mean every BES admin sits around looking at log files all day, I have never done it since the day the BES was installed at my company, but they can look if they want to.

I would agree also with noaim. Your personal device is your own. If your company feels you need to have access to a blackberry they should provide you one.
    Last edited by Shao128; 12-19-08 at 09:06 AM.
    12-19-08 09:04 AM
    Never tie your personal phone to your employer. Its almost as risky as letting your employer put cameras in your house.

Okay, maybe not, but you're asking for trouble.

12-19-08 10:22 AM
    Thanks everyone. I think I'll go ahead and get one of the company devices.

12-19-08 10:26 AM
    That is probably tr best idea.

12-19-08 10:43 AM
    I guess I like my company more than you all or like not paying $100+ per month, but I love having my phone through my company. best thing ever!
    12-19-08 02:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD