03-29-11 03:06 PM
906 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    Go ahead and call Verizon, you're not gonna get anything out of it. Everyone in here is acting like a child. Would you serioulsy not get a phone because it had bing? Or would you download another app that would let you do what you want? Like I said before it sucks that they did that, and when my search option changes I will be pissed but I am not gonna call verizon and expect them to switch me to another phone or something of that nature.
    If all the current OS options were available now that were available when S1 came out and bing was the only search available from the start, yes I would have shopped around more. If verizon had not lied to me in store and when I have called multiple times regarding fixes to storm as well as my options after returning my 4th storm, yes I may have a different phone right now.

Its not just that bing is the default search now, its the principal of the matter. They are forcing the change of a product that we bought before being aware of the change. It is one thing to offer updates or apps that change the phone, but last time I checked im never forced to upgrade to a new OS and can downgrade if I dont want it. We spent our money on the phone as it was at release (albeit with promise of some better things to come) and have every right to expect the services that came with the phone on release to stay with it if we choose to keep them. Why dont we just take things a little further and say they get rid of browsing, is it ok to say "is it that hard to just get to a computer or just wait till your around one again"?
    To me this really comes down to when I got the S2, I got it with the options included (such as available search options). Verizon should not have the right to force us to change the functions on our phone.
    12-17-09 01:56 AM
    I have ATT, so I'm all good, lol... But why don't you all just download Google's Mobile app? It's way more intuitive than searching through a mobile site
    12-17-09 01:57 AM
    I have sent an email to Verizon myself letting them know that I'm not pleased about it and if the issue isn't resolved then I will call them. I believe that we all should do that. We need to have a peaceful protest and clog up their inboxes and customer service lines so that they know that they screwed up and that we won't just be pushed over so easily.

But just remember, keep it peaceful with the CS representatives... they aren't the ones who made the decision. And they really don't know much anyway except what they are told to say. I know I've gotten a lot farther with them before when I am kind to them. And let's face it, we are all a lot more willing to help out someone when they treat us with respect and dignity. ; )
    12-17-09 01:59 AM
    I think not everyone has this issue simply because the service book push is still propagating. Kinda like an OTA OS update takes a day or two to hit everyone.

Obviously Verizon weighed the megacash that Microsoft is probably giving them (or megadeals worth megacash) against the magnitude of backlash they expected, and took the Microsoft deal. It is a small (but largely annoying and disturbing) issue, so VZW doesn't expect much backlash.

In return, don't expect much sympathy from them unless the number of irate BB customers hits 20% or 30% of their base.
    Last edited by TBacker; 12-17-09 at 02:04 AM.
    12-17-09 02:02 AM
    I updated to 428 and still had google and wikipedia and dictionary in my search bar. However this morning I did a battery pull and after that is when I noticed I only had bing as my search provider.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-09 02:02 AM
    If all the current OS options were available now that were available when S1 came out and bing was the only search available from the start, yes I would have shopped around more. If verizon had not lied to me in store and when I have called multiple times regarding fixes to storm as well as my options after returning my 4th storm, yes I may have a different phone right now.

Its not just that bing is the default search now, its the principal of the matter. They are forcing the change of a product that we bought before being aware of the change. It is one thing to offer updates or apps that change the phone, but last time I checked im never forced to upgrade to a new OS and can downgrade if I dont want it. We spent our money on the phone as it was at release (albeit with promise of some better things to come) and have every right to expect the services that came with the phone on release to stay with it if we choose to keep them. Why dont we just take things a little further and say they get rid of browsing, is it ok to say "is it that hard to just get to a computer or just wait till your around one again"?
    To me this really comes down to when I got the S2, I got it with the options included (such as available search options). Verizon should not have the right to force us to change the functions on our phone.
    Well I think the removing the browser is actually going completely over board, it is not the same thing. Its like comparing stealing an apple with rape. The magnitude of the two are completely different.

Is the ability to use google search on the native blackberry browser really that big of an issue? So big that you would switch to another device? That is strange, because not only are there ways around it but also consider the amount of times that you use google on your phone per day? Plus its not like they are deactivating internet on your phone, or sms or mms, its just how you access google. You can still access it. I think many of you out there are overreacting.
    12-17-09 02:04 AM
    So far so good for me... on a 9530 running official .328. *crosses fingers*
    12-17-09 02:04 AM
    Did a battery pull. Still have google.
    12-17-09 02:14 AM
    Wow. I did the google and bing search on "how big is the sun". Its not even close. Google is so much more accurate.

12-17-09 02:19 AM
    Also did a battery pull and am able to access google through the default browser search bar

12-17-09 02:20 AM
    AHHH! I've been Bing-raped too!

I'd be extremely pissed about that if I ever used the search function from that browser window, but I use Vlingo and have it set to google, so I just push the button and speak what I want to search for, and it opens in its own window that works about fifteen times faster than the notoriously slow BB browser anyway.

Still, there needs to be some backlash for the government-like theft of our freedoms/options. I wanted to post here so I can jump in as soon as somebody figures out who we should be complaining to.
    12-17-09 02:21 AM
    Well I think the removing the browser is actually going completely over board, it is not the same thing. Its like comparing stealing an apple with rape. The magnitude of the two are completely different.

Is the ability to use google search on the native blackberry browser really that big of an issue? So big that you would switch to another device? That is strange, because not only are there ways around it but also consider the amount of times that you use google on your phone per day? Plus its not like they are deactivating internet on your phone, or sms or mms, its just how you access google. You can still access it. I think many of you out there are overreacting.
    This has nothing to do with me... since I'm not a Verizon customer. But I honestly don't think it's "overreacting" to make a company aware that they have made a change to your product that you do not like. First of all, from what I've read they didn't just push a new "bing" app to your phones. They changed the options in the RIM browser.
    I use google search anywhere from 1-15 times a day. I have my browser set to go directly to the "go to" page because from there I have my bookmarks, address bar, and a search bar... if google was not an option on that search bar.. the "go to" page would be worthless to me. I would rather just have a bookmarks page and an address bar in the browser. And google would be my homepage. Now what I do believe is overreacting is demanding a different device... or to even consider going to a different device over a blackberry. T-Mobile pushes worthless demo apps to my phone, and I think it's complete ********!!! I would be pretty upset if they went off and removed options from my phone. His analogy might have been off a little but his point is 100% valid. Verizon also likes to lock there GPS so that you have to use there Navigation software... Sounds like this and that go hand in hand.
    Last edited by KSW1; 12-17-09 at 02:28 AM.
    12-17-09 02:25 AM
    This has nothing to do with me... since I'm not a Verizon customer. But I honestly don't think it's "overreacting" to make a company aware that they have made a change to your product that you do not like. First of all, from what I've read they didn't just push a new "bing" app to your phones. They changed the options in the RIM browser.
    I use google search anywhere from 1-15 times a day. I have my browser set to go directly to the "go to" page because from there I have my bookmarks, address bar, and a search bar... if google was not an option on that search bar.. the "go to" page would be worthless to me. I would rather just have a bookmarks page and an address bar in the browser. And google would be my homepage. Now what I do believe is overreacting is demanding a different device... or to even consider going to a different device over a blackberry. T-Mobile pushes worthless demo apps to my phone, and I think it's complete ********!!! I would be pretty upset if they went off and removed options from my phone. His analogy might have been off a little but his point 100% valid. Verizon also likes to lock there GPS so that you have to use there Navigation software... Sounds like this and that go hand in hand.

Well im done with you guys, everyone posting in here that is complaining has less than a 100 posts, which means you are all newbs. Good Luck getting verizon to change google back, prove santa is real, cure AIDS and teach you how to use blackberrys.
    12-17-09 02:28 AM
    Well im done with you guys, everyone posting in here that is complaining has less than a 100 posts, which means you are all newbs. Good Luck getting verizon to change google back, prove santa is real, cure AIDS and teach you how to use blackberrys.
    We're newbs because we don't post? I've had a blackberry in my pocket for the last 6 years... what exactly makes me a "newb"? There are other forums and sites that deal with blackberry's... you just made yourself look ignorant.
    12-17-09 02:32 AM
    We're newbs because we don't post? I've had a blackberry in my pocket for the last 6 years... what exactly makes me a "newb"? There are other forums and sites that deal with blackberry's... you just made yourself look ignorant.
    Troll. 10char
    12-17-09 02:32 AM
    That's actually not true. I've been around for quite a long time, and have been a BlackBerry user for YEARS. I just don't do much commenting. I find it funny that you assume that. I also find it amusing that you think santa is anything other than real and that I don't know how to use my Berry. Whatever. I wasn't posting to get a reaction from you, but apparently I, as well as others, have stomped on one of your nerves. All I can suggest is that you move on to the next thread if you don't like the content of this one.
    12-17-09 02:44 AM
    To me it's very simple.

I have no issues with VZW pushing shortcuts or any kind of content to my device. What I DO take issue with is that in this situation they aren't pushing something to my phone, they are in effect taking something away from it.

It's late so I'm not going to look into it right this moment, but I would like to think it may fall under the premise that they're taking something from me that I paid for. I know this could probably be debated, I could probably argue the other side of it myself, but I'm takin a side that I have a personal interest in.

[edit]Oh yeah... I have more than 100 posts, so does my opinion count?
    12-17-09 02:44 AM
    Lolzy things going on these days. I just performed a battery pull and lo and behold Bing has replaced the normal search options.

What a shame.
    12-17-09 02:45 AM
    Troll. 10char
    I thought the idea was to welcome people into the community and encourage them to post there opinions in a combined effort to make our loved devices better? I guess I'm wrong.
    12-17-09 02:46 AM
    Its official. I now hate bing and microsoft. They can suck it. If you think its not gonna happen to you... Just wait. Resend yoir service books and it'll be there...
    12-17-09 02:49 AM
    I thought the idea was to welcome people into the community and encourage them to post there opinions in a combined effort to make our loved devices better? I guess I'm wrong.
    Not when they are inflammatory remarks asking people to bog down servers and call centers. Plus lack of google in the search bar doesnt make the phone worse or better. And the fact that you dont post makes you a newb because like now, you have nothing good to say so you just lurk and then troll.
    12-17-09 02:55 AM
    Its official. I now hate bing and microsoft. They can suck it. If you think its not gonna happen to you... Just wait. Resend yoir service books and it'll be there...
    I agree. They suck. 10char
    12-17-09 03:02 AM
    Not when they are inflammatory remarks asking people to bog down servers and call centers. Plus lack of google in the search bar doesnt make the phone worse or better. And the fact that you dont post makes you a newb because like now, you have nothing good to say so you just lurk and then troll.
    Bog down the servers and call centers? You have to be joking... with the prices these people pay for Verizon plans, I think that a phone call or an email is a reasonable reaction. If something like this is not addressed, and customers emotions and feelings are not expressed to Verizon, then they will continue to operate like this. No where did I say that these calls and emails will change or fix the problem, but it will make them think twice about other changes, if enough people express there opinion. It all boils down to protesting, which has been known to work.
    12-17-09 03:03 AM
    OMFG people. Set browser homepage to google. Click browser icon. GOOGLE YOUR *** OFF. Is it so hardl!!????
    12-17-09 03:50 AM

I was using the extreme to prove a point, I know its not the same thing its principal, stealing an apple and stealing a million dollars is still the same crime. I actually do use google a lot. Im a poli sci and econ student and do a talk radio show at my school so looking up quick facts as fast as possible on issues as they come up is a huge deal to me. Based on the whole size of the sun test, I dont think I would trust bing with anything....
    While there are currently other options, if VZW and Microsoft have a deal and one party realizes that its possible to navigate around this deal why wouldn't they do something about it (especially microsoft, if you know anything about their business practices). Like I said before its not just a matter of bing being forced onto the native browser, but its the future of the platform now that this deal has occurred and the principal of the matter that the phone I bought has been stripped of an original function that was part of the selling point of the phone for me.
    12-17-09 04:57 AM
906 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD