03-29-11 03:06 PM
906 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Man this bing SUCKS!!!! I hope Bolt or Opera Mini get there sheet together and take advantage of this... I know there will be a lot more people looking for other options now!
    12-16-09 11:24 AM
    out of all of them why bing. bing is absolute crapola. seriously id rather have ask jeeves haha. hopefully they fix it soon. google is the best
    12-16-09 11:35 AM
    I have storm 2 also can only search bing. I work in vzw store and this issue is only on curve2 and storm 2, if sw is current and service books are resent it will switch to bing only. I have called rim and vzw and gotten nowhere. Rim states it is carrier requested and is in vzw contract with bing that it must be only option. Vzw states they know nothing of it. I am 2 weeks out of my 30 day return policy and this will make me switch to droid, vzw will not make an exception at all though and it looks as though me and the rest of us are screwed here because rim states they were supposed to come like that originally and will not be changing back. This is the straw that has broke my will to keep blackberry platform and I will be upgrading at 1 year price to droid by Motorola . If rim gets it together and offers comparable app prices, better web browsing and less bs I will gladly come back to bb. For now goodbye to all here... Anyone wants to buy new bb storm2 for reasonable price ksmith822@gmail.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-09 11:39 AM
    I have storm 2 also can only search bing. I work in vzw store and this issue is only on curve2 and storm 2, if sw is current and service books are resent it will switch to bing only. I have called rim and vzw and gotten nowhere. Rim states it is carrier requested and is in vzw contract with bing that it must be only option. Vzw states they know nothing of it. I am 2 weeks out of my 30 day return policy and this will make me switch to droid, vzw will not make an exception at all though and it looks as though me and the rest of us are screwed here because rim states they were supposed to come like that originally and will not be changing back. This is the straw that has broke my will to keep blackberry platform and I will be upgrading at 1 year price to droid by Motorola . If rim gets it together and offers comparable app prices, better web browsing and less bs I will gladly come back to bb. For now goodbye to all here... Anyone wants to buy new bb storm2 for reasonable price ksmith822@gmail.com by the way you can download google quicksearch app from app world it works fairly well... Found this post no problem... Bing app wouldn't find it tried exact name of post (same search as google) didn't come up in first 4 pages of results

12-16-09 11:43 AM
    I work in vzw store and this issue is only on curve2 and storm 2
    Not true my sister has a 8330, my mother has a tour, my wife and kids have storm 1 and I have a storm 2 and all of them now only show bing.
    12-16-09 11:52 AM
    I have a Storm 1 running OS .328. I just did a battery pull and my default search engine is still Google and Live Search, Wikipedia, and Dictionary.com are still available in the drop down menu.
    12-16-09 12:16 PM
    Its the service book not the battery pull that changes it.
    12-16-09 12:27 PM
    I have a 9550 but still have google, live, wikipedia and dictionary in my search window.
    12-16-09 12:28 PM
    I only have bing now after installing the .428 leak on my 9550. Instead of crapping my pants, I just d/led google quick search and add it to my QL menu... Poof! Google Search!
    12-16-09 12:34 PM
    I only have bing now after installing the .428 leak on my 9550. Instead of crapping my pants, I just d/led google quick search and add it to my QL menu... Poof! Google Search!
    good idea....

it really yanks my chain that verizon can just change my phone at will. its my phone. its my browser. if i want "pete's local search" as my default search then its my choice. in my opinion microsoft and verizon can suck my bing
    12-16-09 01:02 PM
    Its the service book not the battery pull that changes it.
    dont be so sure. i had all the search options before deleting an app and a reset. boom..all other search options are gone and replaced by bing
    12-16-09 01:05 PM
    good idea....

it really yanks my chain that verizon can just change my phone at will. its my phone. its my browser. if i want "pete's local search" as my default search then its my choice. in my opinion microsoft and verizon can suck my bing
    I agree.

Btw, nice mustang... '69 mach1?
    12-16-09 01:05 PM
    Does anyone know if this is a 9550 specific problem? Has anyone checked the other forums? I'll have to check with someother BB users to see if they're having this problem too.
    This does not seem to be storm 2 specific, we have users at my office with storms, storm2's, curve and tours and alot (at least everyone in my dept) are limited to bing....
    12-16-09 01:24 PM
    Its official. Blackberry confirms that Verizon gets to tell you who you can search with. See the below text of an email from Blackberry I received today. Thank you Verizon for deciding what is best for me ! Lord knows I cannot be trusted to make my own decisions !

Hello Eric,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Customer Support.

Per Verizon Wireless request they only allow Bing to be the

service search engine in there devices.

If you have further questions contact Verizon Wireless directly.

If you require further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you again for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Juan
    BlackBerry Customer Support
    Research In Motion Limited
    Tel:
    NA Toll Free: 1-877-255-2377
    UK Toll Free: 0808 100 7466
    Europe: +44 1753 558400
    Worldwide: +1-519-888-6181
    Email: help@blackberry.com
    Web: Smartphones, Cell Phones & Smart Phones at BlackBerry.com

***Now Available - BlackBerry Training for BlackBerry Enterprise Server software administrators. For information about current course offerings, please visit BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM).
    12-16-09 01:37 PM
    This is irritating! I was going to call Verizon to complain also, but seeing the responses posted here leads me to believe that probably won't get me anywhere. If anyone comes up with an actual fix to restore the previous options to my browser I'd love to hear it! I despise the fact that I do mot have control over my own phone! I bought it, I should be able to decide what happens on it!

12-16-09 01:44 PM
    Just got off the Phone with Verizon and they do confirm that they now have a contract with Bing. No phones other than the Droids will have the other options and there is nothing that can be done. She even told me that the Bing apps will be locked on the devices and will not be removable...That's crazy, at first that is what she thought I wanted to do was remove the Bing Application
    12-16-09 01:49 PM
    I called Verizon and let them know I was extremely displeased at this new push. I made sure the tech I spoke to sent a negative feedback to his supervisor to pass it on.

If everyone calls and passes some negative feedback to them to submit to their supervisors it will let them know we aren't happy with this at all.
    12-16-09 01:52 PM
    planetfeedback.com is a great website that submits your letter/email to the corporate office level, and yes it works it is how I got my Tour then storm 2 free by getting a direct contact when she called me about my email
    12-16-09 01:58 PM
    Yeah, it's not a conspiracy just human error. Hopefully it won't take to long to get this fixed. However everyone needs to complain about it so it'ill get fixed.

Live <> Bing. It may be a branding issue but it's also a new search engine. It does provide better results than Live Search but it's still not as good as Google.
    Actually switch the browser to Live and then run a search in it. You will get Bing for the results. Live no longer exists, it points to Bing.
    12-16-09 02:19 PM
    Side note: All this "bing sucks" stuff is pretty funny. I have been using it pretty heavily and it is WAY better than Google. The search results are far more relevant to the search phrase and also better organized. Google gets more hits but a lot of them tend to be dreck.

That said, if VZW really did do some type of exclusive deal it was pretty silly. Let people choose.
    12-16-09 02:24 PM
    Bing is fine, but Google has it's positive points too.

I only have the BING option as well, but I use Bolt anyway, so I always get my google search fix
    12-16-09 02:33 PM
    Which search provider is better is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is this limits peoples' choice. Personally I use opera 5 beta so it doesn't make too much difference, but not everyone wants to use another browser, separate app, or whatever other extra steps are necessary to use the provider they want.
    12-16-09 02:41 PM
    Called Verizon and they said they are not aware of the issue and have no fix for me. They said that i need to wipe my phone clean and start new to see if that fixes it.
    12-16-09 03:07 PM
    Its official. Blackberry confirms that Verizon gets to tell you who you can search with. See the below text of an email from Blackberry I received today. Thank you Verizon for deciding what is best for me ! Lord knows I cannot be trusted to make my own decisions !

Hello Eric,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Customer Support.

Per Verizon Wireless request they only allow Bing to be the

service search engine in there devices.

If you have further questions contact Verizon Wireless directly.

If you require further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you again for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Juan
    BlackBerry Customer Support
    Research In Motion Limited
    Tel:
    NA Toll Free: 1-877-255-2377
    UK Toll Free: 0808 100 7466
    Europe: +44 1753 558400
    Worldwide: +1-519-888-6181
    Email: help@blackberry.com
    Web: Smartphones, Cell Phones & Smart Phones at BlackBerry.com

***Now Available - BlackBerry Training for BlackBerry Enterprise Server software administrators. For information about current course offerings, please visit BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM).
    This is either true or the work of the trolls of verisimilitude. Either way it makes me resent verizon and the bb browser. Now I suppose I'll only use the browser for bookmarks and OTA downloads. Now it's opera (almost) all the way!

12-16-09 03:22 PM
    Another reason to download Opera Mini Beta 5! Google is the default there.
    12-16-09 03:41 PM
906 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD