03-29-11 03:06 PM
906 ... 23456 ...
tools
    That's the answer right there. Thanks!

If that rich **** would have just taken the time and made a search engine that one can actually use (just like Google), we wouldn't have any problems.

Thanks Bill
    Haha, I just hope he lets us blackberry users continue to receive gmail, or does buying a phone from Verizon mean you don't get to choose email providers? And no using firefox on your home computer, that will void your phones warranty...
    12-16-09 12:49 AM
    We have two Storm 2. Both are running .320, BIS. I upgraded both to the new version of messenger (5.0.0.55) this evening. I did a battery pull on mine but not my partners. I only have the Bing search provider and my partner's still has the original search providers (Google, Live, dictionary.com, etc...).

My guess is that someone sent out an update that was supposed to chanage the Live search provider to the Bing search provider and they screwed it up. Leaving us with only the Bing.

This is not acceptable and needs to be fixed. I wonder how long this is going to take.
    Last edited by DunkinD; 12-16-09 at 01:00 AM.
    12-16-09 12:51 AM
    By switching it to Live. Live = Bing.

And I concur that this is a simple error for those who are experiencing it. It is not some wacky conspiracy to limit the search choices for users of the BB browser.
    12-16-09 01:03 AM
    BING = But Its Not Google
    12-16-09 01:06 AM
    I too only have BING for search options. And am very annoyed.

- I have a Storm2 (9550) with Verizon
    - I am on a BES
    - I have not resent my service books recently
    - I am using the official OS (.320)
    - I did install the latest BBM (5.0.0.55) earlier today. Bing became the only search engine after the BBM install made me reboot.

I called VZW and the rep assured me that VZW was not pushing this update. The Storm2 he had available to him still had all the search options available. He suggested having my BES administrator resend my service books to see if that solves the problem.
    Someone else said they had this happen when they updated BBM.... And only after updating BBM. So I'm uninstalling BBM (the one that came with .428) and the phone is restarting. I will post back with my findings. I HATE BING I HATE BING!

Oh look at this on the official BB forums:

Re: My search providers disappeared!!! - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    12-16-09 01:30 AM
    Yeah, it's not a conspiracy just human error. Hopefully it won't take to long to get this fixed. However everyone needs to complain about it so it'ill get fixed.

Live <> Bing. It may be a branding issue but it's also a new search engine. It does provide better results than Live Search but it's still not as good as Google.
    12-16-09 01:33 AM
    By switching it to Live. Live = Bing.

And I concur that this is a simple error for those who are experiencing it. It is not some wacky conspiracy to limit the search choices for users of the BB browser.
    Life*=Bing

You must choose to use Bing or you will die.

- Gen 1:1
    12-16-09 01:35 AM
    I saw this thread last night after I upgraded to 428. I had done a battery pull a few hours prior but when I looked, I still had all the original search providers.

I just checked now and it's Bing. No battery pulls today. Ugh. Ridiculous. I hate calling as I'm sure I'll end up with the same "We're not doing it" story.
    12-16-09 01:37 AM
    Ok uninstalled BBM and Bing is still the only provider. Tried resending service books, etc.

RIM and/or VZW has gone TOO FARE this time!
    12-16-09 01:37 AM
    Gimme back my Google! Grrrrrr!
    12-16-09 01:51 AM
    As a temp "fix" u can use quicklaunch to make a google seach or dictionay.com search etc.. Shortcut
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Erick09; 12-16-09 at 01:58 AM.
    12-16-09 01:56 AM
    Just for the hellof it I decided to install Bing (the App VZW is pushing). Not only did it crash my phone to a complete blackscreen it was just plain horrendous. The voice search was way off. Poynt is simply the best source for anythhing. As is Flixster/Movies.

Someone said RIM does not support Google. Well my friends if this were the case the MADE BY RIM APP GOOGLE QUICK SEARCH WOULD NOT BE ON APP WORLD NOR MADE BY RIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What BS.

I'm so upset right now after saying how the Droid and WinMo sucked I'm about to just sell this damn phone. At least on other platforms Verizon CAN'T PUSH crap or icons to your phone! Verizon is just plain abusing it's power and I've about had it.
    12-16-09 02:09 AM
    I deleted and resent my service books when I did my upgrade.
    Could that be the common reason we only have bing and others don't?
    I did not install the new OS, but i had 4 options for search in the browser, i was reading this and resent my service books and now i have only bing, so i think resending the service books is the common problem. Before i did this i put google search in QL so iam fine.
    12-16-09 06:28 AM
    My .02$ ----- I have the leaked .428 and BBM .55 and I still have all four search options. Weird how some people have the issue and some don't.
    12-16-09 07:47 AM
    My .02$ ----- I have the leaked .428 and BBM .55 and I still have all four search options. Weird how some people have the issue and some don't.
    DO NOT PULL YOUR BATTERY...

After upgrading to .428, installing BBM .55, and a couple of battery pulls I still had all 4 original search providers, Bing was *NOT* one of them and my browser was set to use Google as default. I did of course have the BING VPL icon which I just hid.

After reading this thread, I backed up my device (using DM) and pulled the battery.

Now, BING is my only search provider choice.

I too want GOOGLE Back! For now, I just hit google.com when I want/need to search.
    12-16-09 08:08 AM
    This reminds me of when Pepsi Corporation started buying fast food restaurants and competing restaurants quit selling Pepsi because they felt like they were giving money to the competition. RIM is probably feeling the same way about Google phones and figures this to be their response.

12-16-09 08:32 AM
    Pulling the battery has nothing to do with it. My partner's phone hasn't had a battery pull in weeks. His phone was OK an hour ago and now it only has Bing. It's not a not a .428 problem. We're both running .320.

MS has rebranded Live search to Bing. Someone screwed up when they pushed out the search provider update. I'm on the phone with RIM. Hopefully they'll get this fixed soon.
    Last edited by DunkinD; 12-16-09 at 09:49 AM.
    12-16-09 09:36 AM
    Microsoft is in the mobile business as well as Google and supports all the Palm phones, so this is likely just a Verizon/MS thing. I don't think RIM is involved.

As much as we or RIM may be annoyed by this, it depends on what the agreement is between RIM and Verizon is (how the hardware/apps can be used) and there may be nothing RIM can do about it.

It goes beyond just the search provider though, the results are branded in Verizon red, and includes VZW home links and such. So it's not just Bing, but a custom tailored VZW search that uses Bing.

Hopefully, just eliminating the other search provider options was just a glitch, but this VZW/Bing search is "working as intended" as we say in my app development community.
    12-16-09 09:44 AM
    RIM had me delete some service books, reboot then clear the cookie cache. Surprise it didn't make any difference. Now they want me to wipe the phone.

Whoelse has tried wiping their phone? Did it help make any difference?

Of course they're claiming that I'm the first person to call about this and that the other posters who claim they called tech support are lying.
    12-16-09 10:13 AM
    Your not the first to call them at all. Several people including myself have contacted RIM and VZW and get nothing out of it. Wiping your phone will do nothing but waste your time you will still only have Bing. I hope this all gets worked out soon cause Bing sucks ***
    12-16-09 10:24 AM
    Does anyone know if this is a 9550 specific problem? Has anyone checked the other forums? I'll have to check with someother BB users to see if they're having this problem too.
    12-16-09 10:54 AM
    12-16-09 10:56 AM
    Nice post, I wonder if there will be any useful responses
    12-16-09 10:57 AM
    Does anyone know if this is a 9550 specific problem? Has anyone checked the other forums? I'll have to check with someother BB users to see if they're having this problem too.
    I had my mom resend the service books on her 8530 last night, and she now has Bing. My brother has a 9630 that still has all the options. I told him don't resend the service books, but that he will soon be limited on his search options.

12-16-09 11:12 AM
    I for one do not support the fact that *someone can access my phone at anyone time and change the information on it, for the purpose forcing me to use / support whatever 3rd party pays them enough money this month. If i buy a car from toyota, they nor their 3rd party 'partner' are not allowed to access my car 24/7 and put magic junk mail that cant be deleted, or delete my radio presets, and program my only preset to play only Microsofts ad channel.

It it criminally Illegal for me to decide that i dont want this junk and to remove it. AS it would require 'circumventing rims software', it would be a copyright infringment, and also violate my ToS.

Maybe carrier push isnt that bad for some, but i really dont like the direction that it goes.

**I just got off the phone with a verizon phone technician, she maintained that verizon had not pushed anything, and that it was solely rim.The truth? Who knows..
    Last edited by offsprey; 12-16-09 at 11:28 PM.
    12-16-09 11:16 AM
906 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD