03-29-11 03:06 PM
906 ... 3334353637
tools
    It's their company, making it their choice. They have not canceled any type service to anyone. If you want to use google, dictionary or any other type of search engine, load up that page and use it. They've just made a business arrangement with another company to increase their profits by promoting the other companies product...not even forcing you to use it. We call it capitalism. I don't even like bing...never used it, but I'm all for verizon making all the money it can to stay at the top of it's game. That means more towers, more service, exclusive phone offers, more take-overs, and more benefits for its customers.

It is a very small change to me, but for anyone that this is actually a big change for, big implying that you're really and significantly effected, that's pathetic. I'm not saying that it's wrong to want the old options back, but if you're that effected by this huge event that you so vehemently disapprove of, then just leave verizon. Go to another company that doesn't ruin your life so significantly. There are plenty of other carriers out there. Why continue to live in this misery?
    Again you miss the whole point and continue try to tell others what they should feel. Feel free to continue to rant and miss the point, I for one, will no longer respond to you.
    01-22-10 02:55 PM
    Some of us choose to rattle the cage to keep the issue before Crackberry readers.

Not everything done in the name of private enterprise or, if you prefer, "healthy" capitalism, is appropriate. It might be anticompetitive and, yes, I understand there are those who do not believe in any kind of regulation. But, so far, anyway, we do have some such protections. Maybe, someone will slap MS, if not verizon, for removing the choice of search engines like MS attempted to limit the choice of browsers on PC's in the last decade/century.

They are attempting to make my "smart"phone less smart. I find that objectionable.

Is this "leave Verizon", like the patriots' suggestion of love it or leave it when you object to a country's policies? How 'bout, a bit of friendly dialog to change those policies?

You know, force the change so that bing is the default search engine on all of the devices but allow the user to change that - most will be too lazy to do so, so bing gets its exposure and its points for being the search engine that led to a purchase or click-counter. But the rest of us, all 10 of us, can change it if we want.

MS can pay ClearChannel (or whomever) and put up all kinds of billboards getting MS the exposure they want and we can all look the other way. This is more intrusive. Hmm, maybe MS will pay qwest so that everytime I pick up my phone I hear a bing commercial - can they do that? According to some - nothing wrong - just a bit of inconvenience and qwest is a free company and might be able to improve service if MS gave them a slug of money.
    01-22-10 02:57 PM
    seconded f2 here. they tend to make smartphones less smart and turning them into terminals. as these devices should instead evolve in more open standards, like some minilaptops, and iirc when you purchase a laptop, you can install whatever you want on it. (in b4 mac)

it will need a serious dialogue. if not, well, some kind of jailbreaking will be necessary.

blocking given websites is totally against your privacy. it's your phone and you should be able to get whatever you want on it.

(the worst, i bet they could send you their lawyers for browsing using google or going to wikipedia.)
    01-22-10 03:11 PM
    Again you miss the whole point and continue try to tell others what they should feel. Feel free to continue to rant and miss the point, I for one, will no longer respond to you.
    I know you are, but what am I?

What are you, 12?
    01-22-10 03:30 PM
    1. VZW did not ask for, nor acquire our consent or approval in this matter yet changed OUR PHONES that WE PURCHASED!
    2. VZW did NOT provide us with advanced notice that this change would take place.
    3. VZW DID degrade/remove a feature of our blackberry.
    4. There is no way to undo this change.
    5. VZW is profiting from the unannounced change they made to our device without our consent which degrades and negatively impacts the operation of our device compared to when we purchased it.

Its about having the CHOICE to use these other search providers as easily and conveniently as we had been since purchasing our devices.

I for one would not have objected if VZW changed the MS LIVE search option to BING, or ADDED BING to the search provider options already there, but that isn't what they did. They removed EVERY OPTION and CHOICE I had before WITHOUT MY CONSENT! That is just wrong.
    Verizon does not need your consent to change the software on your phone on their network. According to the customer agreement:

My Wireless Device

Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device. You don't own the software in any SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card that you may use with your Service. The SIM card software is licensed to you for use with the Service only, and we may change it remotely and without notice. If you bought a wireless device from Verizon Wireless that doesn't use a SIM card, and you want to reprogram it for use with another wireless network, the default programming code is set to "000000" or "123456." But please note that your wireless device may not work with another wireless network, or the other wireless carrier may not accept your wireless device on its network.

Like it or not, we all signed on the dotted line agreeing to their Terms and Conditions and Customer Agreements.
    01-22-10 07:35 PM
    I solved this problem by switching to Opera Mini 5 beta browser as it still has the familiar google search bar (including wiki and a "manage search engines" dropdown). Problem solved. It's faster than BB browser as well.
    01-22-10 10:30 PM
    Unfortunately i believe we did consent to these wireless 'changes' in the terms of service agreement, however i very much question the legality of the terms of service. The FCC has a very clear 'Fair Use' clause that sets the guidelines for the provisioning system on these wireless networks. I believe that these frivolous changes are in fact prohibited by the FCC. Im not going to hold my breath for the FCC to step in though, especially after the recent Supreme Court ruling concerning Corporate donations. With more corporate money in politics, i dont think our rights will mean as much.
    01-29-10 08:22 PM
    You can easily argue unconscionability if you decide to go to court to challenge contract provisions. However, this usually only works if you're trying to get back a small amount of money (ie, ETFs, stuff like that.) from a large corp.

Courts will frequently void contracts where there has been no ability for one party to negotiate the terms. This is often considered, and should be considered, 'unconscionable' since all similar companies have pretty much the same contracts and consumers don't have much choice.

This applies to all service contracts that consumers enter into from large corporations. You can't exactly negotiate the terms of your Verizon or Sam's Club contract or whatever. They'll just say GTFO if you try.

Fortunately when a consumer gets screwed, courts (sometimes) have the good sense to realize that the contract was a "contract of adhesion" with the corporation having all the power, no negotiation possible, and was therefore null.
    01-29-10 09:17 PM
    YEAH its over!!!! Both my tours Native browser has no bing anymore, in the search engine there is google, wiki, dictonary.com and live search!!!
    01-29-10 09:36 PM
    really? that's crazy
    01-29-10 09:37 PM
    really? that's crazy
    am I late to the party? I feel as though I may have posted something that is been known for awhile ( if I did I am sorry I really did search and it lead me here, and I admit I didnt read the whole thread) also I did have bing as my only option before but now its all 4 of the other ones and no bing.
    01-29-10 10:02 PM
    nope I hadn't heard they put the old ones back on...
    01-29-10 10:27 PM
    Still only Bing on my S2
    01-29-10 11:09 PM
    hmmmm I will take a picture today if I can of my tour and show you guys but I have all 4 and yes I have updated service books and everything else.
    01-30-10 09:41 AM
    hmmmm I will take a picture today if I can of my tour and show you guys but I have all 4 and yes I have updated service books and everything else.
    Storm2 and Curve2 are the only two my VZW rep said would be affected for now, and is in the PDF document that VZW issued to the customer I support. (I had posted this several times in this thread).

I you are saying your Tour still has all 4, then that is understandable.

Now, if you were saying that your Storm2 had all four, then only bing, then all 4 again, that would be something new.
    01-30-10 01:14 PM
    Hmm, maybe because your on BES? That could be. I've had the Bing Icon ever since launch though...
    verizon are real jacks for this one, alot of ppl i know hate bing and i am one of them. verizon let me down.
    01-30-10 01:25 PM
    I have a curve 8530 and still have just bing.
    01-30-10 01:25 PM
    YEAH its over!!!! Both my tours Native browser has no bing anymore, in the search engine there is google, wiki, dictonary.com and live search!!!
    Not here on the Storm2... Still stuck with Bing... I use the external Google search, but its easier in the browser..
    01-30-10 10:01 PM
    Storm2 and Curve2 are the only two my VZW rep said would be affected for now, and is in the PDF document that VZW issued to the customer I support. (I had posted this several times in this thread).

I you are saying your Tour still has all 4, then that is understandable.

Now, if you were saying that your Storm2 had all four, then only bing, then all 4 again, that would be something new.
    So, if I understand this, its ONLY Storm2 and Curve2 users getting screwed with Bing??
    01-30-10 10:03 PM
    Signed it (#65).

C'mon people - it only takes a second.
    01-30-10 10:34 PM
    I have a curve 8530 and still have just bing.
    ouch. lol i had the curve and i had google had google wiki dic etc with my tour, soon as i get my storm 2 im like phucks they screwed us over bad. but the default brower isnt that great. as of today im addicted to opera mini 5
    01-30-10 11:29 PM
    ouch. lol i had the curve and i had google had google wiki dic etc with my tour, soon as i get my storm 2 im like phucks they screwed us over bad. but the default brower isnt that great. as of today im addicted to opera mini 5

To be honest, I wouldn't mind bing being the only search engine... I just HATE the layout for the search results.

I use a google search through Quicklaunch. Although I think I'm going to set it as my homepage, just so that it's right there when I open the browser. I actually prefer the native browser, unless I KNOW the site needs Opera/Bolt to display properly.
    01-31-10 12:06 AM
    So, if I understand this, its ONLY Storm2 and Curve2 users getting screwed with Bing??
    No, consider this an opportunity to learn about MS' newest crap. Oh, I guess that does mean you are getting screwed.
    01-31-10 01:03 AM
    For some reason Bing results are just off for me. Different search algorithm than Google, doesn't get me what I'm looking for. And the interface is weird.

No likey
    01-31-10 06:50 AM
    According to the doc my VZW rep gave my customer "explaining" the BING push, they are starting with the Storm2/9550 and Curve2/8530.

So for now, yes.

No word on when/if this will hit other devices.
    01-31-10 09:10 AM
906 ... 3334353637
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD