03-29-11 02:06 PM
906 ... 3233343536 ...
tools
    You can whine and b!%#$ and cry all day long and where does that get you? NOWHERE!!!!! Or , you can stop being a baby and crying over spilled milk and get over it. Shao has made a great program to combat this nonsense, and to be completely honest I would have bought this app regardless. Here you go:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/sea...n-beta-385470/
    01-13-10 02:19 PM
    I still don't understand why everyone is pissin' and moanin' about the bing search engine. I still have google in my browser and who really cares about the bing icon being pushed to your phone? It really isn't that big of a deal. I couldn't imagine of something really bad did happen to one of yall.
    Its not a app its the default search engine in the web browser.

@jgutie6634 dude get a life. If you dont like the thread and the meaning behind it then dont read it. We have every right to bust verizons balls over altering our phones. I suggest keeping your mouth shut and only commenting when it helps the thread.
    01-13-10 02:40 PM
    Defending Verizon in this is absolutely ludicrous - they have removed OPTIONS. Occasionally the squeaky wheel does get noticed. Pissing and moaning maybe the only way any of us get satisfaction. Maybe they won't change. But threads like this notify potential verizon users of deficiencies in Verizon's OPTIONS. (folks are always pissing at those who did not search and learn of the limitations or deficiencies of carriers and devices - this thread and its appearing high in the list makes it obvious)

And some folks obviously have not read the thread fully.

It is not the pushed bing icon that is the subject of most of the irritation. It is the fact that currently (or at one time) depending on your device, you could press the "G" key while in the Browser and then you had the option of entering a URL or you could type into a SearchBox. That SearchBox has/had OPTIONS for search engines. You could search IMMEDIATELY using google, or wiki, or....

Again, there were OPTIONS for search engines in the Browser's GOTO box. Verizon, for some BB devices, has removed those OPTIONS.

Again, there were OPTIONS. Folks want OPTIONS.

And Verizon's BS that you can still do what you want means additional steps as the OPTIONS are gone.

So, if you don't like it go **** in another thread.
    01-13-10 02:55 PM

@jgutie6634 dude get a life. If you dont like the thread and the meaning behind it then dont read it. We have every right to bust verizons balls over altering our phones. I suggest keeping your mouth shut and only commenting when it helps the thread.
    Easy there n00b!

Defending Verizon in this is absolutely ludicrous - they have removed OPTIONS. Occasionally the squeaky wheel does get noticed. Pissing and moaning maybe the only way any of us get satisfaction. Maybe they won't change. But threads like this notify potential verizon users of deficiencies in Verizon's OPTIONS. (folks are always pissing at those who did not search and learn of the limitations or deficiencies of carriers and devices - this thread and its appearing high in the list makes it obvious)

And some folks obviously have not read the thread fully.

It is not the pushed bing icon that is the subject of most of the irritation. It is the fact that currently (or at one time) depending on your device, you could press the "G" key while in the Browser and then you had the option of entering a URL or you could type into a SearchBox. That SearchBox has/had OPTIONS for search engines. You could search IMMEDIATELY using google, or wiki, or....

Again, there were OPTIONS for search engines in the Browser's GOTO box. Verizon, for some BB devices, has removed those OPTIONS.

Again, there were OPTIONS. Folks want OPTIONS.

And Verizon's BS that you can still do what you want means additional steps as the OPTIONS are gone.

So, if you don't like it go **** in another thread.
    For the both of you and all. I am in no way defending what Big Red has done! Not by any means. What they did was completely out of line and wrong. I did join in the fight to have this reversed, and hope that it does and the FCC jumps in and makes them change things back.

With that said, VZW knows that people are pissed off. They know that these forums as well as their own are overrun with outrage, yet they still havent done anything about it, in fact they are sticking to it and defending their actions. If this is a dealbreaker then we have the choice to leave VZW and go to another carrier that doesnt do this. No one is forcing people to stay with VZW. I for one, like I said dont agree with it, however I have found a way around it with Shao's killer app, and it is a better alternative and the service I have from VZW is far superior than any other carrier and will not leave just because of this issue. Is it annoying/ Yes! Is it intrusive? Yes! Can you deal with it? I have!
    Last edited by jgutie6634; 01-13-10 at 03:33 PM.
    01-13-10 03:06 PM
    Easy there n00b!
    Im not a noob. Just because i dont troll around here and post everything i think dont make me a noob. if you want to help out then help but dont sit and bash people when there is nothing stopping them from being ticked off. be a better person and dont comment.
    01-13-10 03:25 PM
    Im not a noob. Just because i dont troll around here and post everything i think dont make me a noob. if you want to help out then help but dont sit and bash people when there is nothing stopping them from being ticked off. be a better person and dont comment.
    Its called sarcasm man but dont forget you went on the attack first. Helped ya out in the SearchIt thread. No hard feelings man, just busting your balls! I am helping I have found a great solution to the problem that Big Red has dropped on us in SearchIt, and sharing that with as many people as possible.

Read my post above. I am right there with you and dont agree with what VZW did but there is only so much you you can do. Its not going back to normal anytime soon, so might as well find a fix and just hope that VZW gets the picture soon.
    Last edited by jgutie6634; 01-13-10 at 03:35 PM.
    01-13-10 03:30 PM
    Has anyone made any complaints thru planetfeedback.com? You would be amazed how much attention that site gets. if everyone who has posted here, in this thread would go post over there,, you might actually get something done.
    01-13-10 03:46 PM
    If the deal between Verizon and Microsoft is for $500 million as reported, no amount of complaining will get this changed. Now if someone has $500 million laying around they are not using, you might be able to work out a deal with Verizon.
    01-13-10 03:53 PM
    Of course, no amount of money will make Bing a good search engine

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-10 05:23 PM
    Of course, no amount of money will make Bing a good search engine

True statement. Bring my google back.

01-13-10 06:20 PM
    Here you go guys, use your energy on something good-

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/hai...donate-404086/
    01-13-10 08:05 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the link!
    01-13-10 08:25 PM

Hmmm. Maybe you could send that link to Verizon. They could use some of that MS blood, er, I mean, bing money for the relief effort.
    01-13-10 10:12 PM
    Hmmm. Maybe you could send that link to Verizon. They could use some of that MS blood, er, I mean, bing money for the relief effort.
    That's a great outlook on a human tragedy. You must be a great person.
    01-13-10 10:16 PM

So what when you go to your browser its no longer google its bing? I'm a little confused because I never clicked the bing icon that was pushed to my phone. I still see nothing but google. Either way they both do the same thing...search!

+1 to that!
    01-14-10 10:38 AM
    So what when you go to your browser its no longer google its bing? I'm a little confused because I never clicked the bing icon that was pushed to my phone. I still see nothing but google. Either way they both do the same thing...search!

+1 to that!
    Not the bing launcher that was pushed but the search options that are in the native browser. VZW has made the change on Storm2 users first but it is trickling down to everyone. Bing is now the only search option whereas before we had 4 options, google, yahoo, dictionary.com, and I dont even remember the 4th. That is what the gripe is all about. Apparently VZW and MS signed a $500 Million deal to have bing the exclusive on-board search option. IMHO bing is nowhere near as good as google but thats not the point. People are enraged that VZW did this without notifying their customers and made chages to peoples devices without their consent.
    01-14-10 11:08 AM
    Looks like I finally got Bing'd with the 8830WE service books. But only on the icon.

Browser still has google and others....for now.

I am curious to know if Vlingo still functions properly on the google search once the browser is locked to BingO for search. Never knew if Vlingo was using seperate browser search URL or keystroke injection or something into the Go To page of the browser
    01-14-10 03:18 PM
    Looks like I finally got Bing'd with the 8830WE service books. But only on the icon.

Browser still has google and others....for now.

I am curious to know if Vlingo still functions properly on the google search once the browser is locked to BingO for search. Never knew if Vlingo was using seperate browser search URL or keystroke injection or something into the Go To page of the browser
    Still uses google. It is independent.
    01-14-10 05:49 PM
    nice then I really dont care anymore if they bing me over in the browser a bit of an annoyance tho....
    01-15-10 04:25 PM
    Not the bing launcher that was pushed but the search options that are in the native browser. VZW has made the change on Storm2 users first but it is trickling down to everyone. Bing is now the only search option whereas before we had 4 options, google, yahoo, dictionary.com, and I dont even remember the 4th. That is what the gripe is all about. Apparently VZW and MS signed a $500 Million deal to have bing the exclusive on-board search option. IMHO bing is nowhere near as good as google but thats not the point. People are enraged that VZW did this without notifying their customers and made chages to peoples devices without their consent.
    Sorry if I sound like a bonehead, but even though my only option for a search provider is Bing, if I go to www. google. com on either my native bb browser or on my opera mini browser, aren't I using google as my search engine?
    01-22-10 08:30 AM
    Sorry if I sound like a bonehead, but even though my only option for a search provider is Bing, if I go to www. google. com on either my native bb browser or on my opera mini browser, aren't I using google as my search engine?
    Yes you are, but there are a few issues that most of us are upset over..

1. Yes, you can still navigate to Google and search, but many of us prefer the convenience of having the option on the "Go To..." page because its right there local on the device, and we don't have to take the time/steps to navigate to the google web page or wait for it to load before we can enter our search term.

more importantly...
    2. VZW changed how our device operates without warning, without our consent or approval! They did not give us an option. It was FORCED on us, and we can not undo it.

If this is how the device operated "fresh out of the box" or when we first activated it, OR VZW gave us the option of choosing BING along with the rest, there wouldn't be such an uproar.
    01-22-10 08:40 AM
    I'm never a fan of someone telling me what to do, but in much of life, that's just the way it goes. I think too many people are making too big of a deal over this. Most of us have a preferred place to go for on line searching...google, yahoo, ask.com...whatever. And most of us have that favorite search site set as our home page. So when I launch my browser, it goes to google all by itself, just like it always did...no big deal...nothing has really changed.

It wouldn't surprise me if the buttload of money that microsoft is paying verizon to use bing, is the reason that they just lowered the unlimited nationwide calling plan to $69. That's a lot of money that a lot of people are saving, and as described in my first paragraph, you don't even have to use bing. And just so you know, it isn't saving me anything. I've got too many people on my family plan to use the $69 deal. I think it's pretty smart of verizon. They take a ton of money from microsoft to send everyone bing, but in reality, no one ever has to use bing for anything. All they really did was take away a drop down list in your browser config settings that was never used because everybody's already got their browser already set to whatever web site they like to use for searching. Good for verizon and good for their customers for getting better plan prices as a result.
    01-22-10 09:15 AM
    I'm never a fan of someone telling me what to do, but in much of life, that's just the way it goes. I think too many people are making too big of a deal over this. Most of us have a preferred place to go for on line searching...google, yahoo, ask.com...whatever. And most of us have that favorite search site set as our home page. So when I launch my browser, it goes to google all by itself, just like it always did...no big deal...nothing has really changed.

It wouldn't surprise me if the buttload of money that microsoft is paying verizon to use bing, is the reason that they just lowered the unlimited nationwide calling plan to $69. That's a lot of money that a lot of people are saving, and as described in my first paragraph, you don't even have to use bing. And just so you know, it isn't saving me anything. I've got too many people on my family plan to use the $69 deal. I think it's pretty smart of verizon. They take a ton of money from microsoft to send everyone bing, but in reality, no one ever has to use bing for anything. All they really did was take away a drop down list in your browser config settings that was never used because everybody's already got their browser already set to whatever web site they like to use for searching. Good for verizon and good for their customers for getting better plan prices as a result.
    Getting better prices? Nothing really has change?.......Huh......your whole rant doesn't make any sense. This whole thread is about what has changed. Their choice. Small to you, big to others. Learn to give your opinion, don't try and force it.
    Last edited by Jascias; 01-22-10 at 10:50 AM.
    01-22-10 10:41 AM
    For those joining us late....

There are TWO issues...

1. Bing search app icon being pushed to home screen (impacts all but the Pearls, but will hit them soon).

This is not what the up roar is about. This icon can be hid and not used. Even if you use this icon and install the BING application, it doesn't impact anything else.

2. All previous Browser Default Search Provider options being removed, and replaced with only BING.

This impacts the Storm2/9550 and Curve2/8530 currently, possibly others down the road. If you don't have a Storm2/9550 or Curve2/8530 you probably wont see this change yet...

Symptom: Open the browser, press {menu} and select GO TO... in the search box, you only have the option for BING. Gone are the options for Dictionary.com, Wikipedia.com, and Google.

See the picture in this post -> http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/bin...ml#post4311213

GONE is the ability to go into the browser preferences/options and select a default search provider. They are ALL gone and replaced with BING.

Yes, you can still browse to the web pages for google.com, dictionary.com, wikipedia.com and search.

What is at issue here is...

Its the change to the operation of the Search box on the "Go To..." page in the browser that I object to and call out as REMOVING CHOICE and DEGRADING my device!

1. VZW did not ask for, nor acquire our consent or approval in this matter yet changed OUR PHONES that WE PURCHASED!
    2. VZW did NOT provide us with advanced notice that this change would take place.
    3. VZW DID degrade/remove a feature of our blackberry.
    4. There is no way to undo this change.
    5. VZW is profiting from the unannounced change they made to our device without our consent which degrades and negatively impacts the operation of our device compared to when we purchased it.

Its about having the CHOICE to use these other search providers as easily and conveniently as we had been since purchasing our devices.

I for one would not have objected if VZW changed the MS LIVE search option to BING, or ADDED BING to the search provider options already there, but that isn't what they did. They removed EVERY OPTION and CHOICE I had before WITHOUT MY CONSENT! That is just wrong.
    01-22-10 11:11 AM
    Getting better prices? Nothing really has change?.......Huh......your whole rant doesn't make any sense. This whole thread is about what has changed. Their choice. Small to you, big to others. Learn to give your opinion, don't try and force it.
    It's their company, making it their choice. They have not canceled any type service to anyone. If you want to use google, dictionary or any other type of search engine, load up that page and use it. They've just made a business arrangement with another company to increase their profits by promoting the other companies product...not even forcing you to use it. We call it capitalism. I don't even like bing...never used it, but I'm all for verizon making all the money it can to stay at the top of it's game. That means more towers, more service, exclusive phone offers, more take-overs, and more benefits for its customers.

It is a very small change to me, but for anyone that this is actually a big change for, big implying that you're really and significantly effected, that's pathetic. I'm not saying that it's wrong to want the old options back, but if you're that effected by this huge event that you so vehemently disapprove of, then just leave verizon. Go to another company that doesn't ruin your life so significantly. There are plenty of other carriers out there. Why continue to live in this misery?
    01-22-10 01:10 PM
906 ... 3233343536 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD