03-29-11 02:06 PM
906 ... 3132333435 ...
tools
    Dont know if this was posted, but here is a good place to articulate your frustration.

Use Bing * Or Any Search Engine * From Your VZW Blackberry. - Verizon PolicyBlog
    They do need to "Approve" any comments left before they will show up... it took almost 4 full days for my posting to show.

I posted the following... on the afternoon of Jan 5. It took until this morning (Jan 9) to appear...
    To the statement... "Verizon isn't blocking or degrading anything;" I'll just repost what Erik posted on 12/28/2009 "Can you explain how to use Google from the search box on the "Go To" page on my blackberry? I used to be able to do this." That is the point. The BING icon on the blackberry home screen is nothing more than a "Virtual Pre-Load" (VPL), its a link to the web site to download a BING application for the blackberry. It is my option to use that link to install the app, or not. While I don't like VPL's on BB's, and wish I could remove them, I *CAN* at least deal with them by hiding the icons.

Its the change to the operation of the Search box on the "Go To..." page in the browser that I object to and call out as REMOVING CHOICE and DEGRADING my device!

1. VZW did not ask for, nor acquire my consent or approval in this matter yet changed MY PHONE that I PURCHASED!
    2. VZW did NOT provide me with advanced notice that this change would take place.
    3. VZW DID degrade/remove a feature of my blackberry.
    4. There is no way to undo this change.
    5. VZW is profiting from the unannounced change they made to my device without my consent which degrades and negatively impacts the operation of my device compared to when I purchased it.

To the statement... "just providing a great option for customers..." Well, providing a great option would be to HAVE AN OPTION. By removing Google, Dictionary.com and Wikipedia from the search provider options, you have REMOVED EVERY OPTION but Bing!! I would not have objected if VZW changed the MS LIVE search option to BING, or ADDED BING to the search provider options already there, but that isn't what they did. They removed EVERY OPTION and CHOICE I had before WITHOUT MY CONSENT! That is just wrong. VZW had started shedding its reputation for disabling features on phones in the past. This will certainly stir that up again!
    Due to their poor blogging software, the formatting (of just plain carriage returns) my post all runs together as one big messy blob... but at least its finally there.

About 5 minutes later, I left another post which hasn't appeared yet... In it, I questioned Jim's comment about "1) You can "mask" or hide the Bing icon from the webpage. Easy to do." Asking does he really understand the problem? and to please explain what he means. What icon on what web page?? There is an icon for the VPL of the BING app on the BB home screen (not a web page) which can be hidden but is not the main objection, there is a Search Box on the Berry's "Go To..." screen which has been altered, can not be changed by the user, and that is the ISSUE at hand. NEITHER is an icon on a web page that we are talking about....
    01-09-10 07:00 AM
    My Storm 2 is on its way back to Verizon, I have a Droid Eris in my hands, I will be refunded the purchase price of my Storm 2 on Monday when they receive it via FedEx.
    Sorry to hear you had to downgrade (Just joking....couldn't resist!). But really, this doesn't solve the problem for us Stormies. I want my search choices on my browser on my Storm.

I thought I had it solved with 'SearchIt' but now I realize this App was only a trial and doesn't work anymore without buying it.

Rich
    01-09-10 07:38 AM
    Mark_Venture:

Excellent letter.

So far, Tour is unaffected. But I guess I should get off my **** and write the appropriate entities about my unhappiness with what Verizon is doing in terms of limiting the BROWSER's search engine.
    01-09-10 03:17 PM
    After arguing with Customer Service, being bumped up to Tech Support (for no reason) and arguing with them also (at the beginning of THAT conversation, the guy insisted that I MUST HAVE installed Bing for this to happen), filing complaints with planetfeedback.com, the FTC and FCC, I finally decided to send an email to Lowell McAdam. Keep in mind that I was ONE DAY out of my 30 day satisfaction guarantee period when this Bing debacle reared its head.

Because of the holiday, it took a little longer to resolve my case, and in order to know the entire history without me repeating myself, you'll have to go back and read the beginning of this thread, but I am almost a happy camper. My Storm 2 is on its way back to Verizon, I have a Droid Eris in my hands, I will be refunded the purchase price of my Storm 2 on Monday when they receive it via FedEx. As soon as that's done, I will once again be able to sing the praises of Verizon for their outstanding customer service.

Give Tom a call back. I'm happy. It might work for you as well. It might not. It might be that I was only one day out of my 30 day that made them even consider allowing me to swap my phone. You won't know if you don't try.
    I got mine the day the Storm 2 came out so im not to different. Thanks for following up on my post. Ill give this guy a call back on Monday.
    01-09-10 04:50 PM
    I have the curve2 and now it only has Bing!! WTF!! I hate Bing!!
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

01-09-10 11:38 PM
    I'm trying to figure out how BING is the only search option in the "go to..."
    I got the bing VPL and I installed it... didnt like it and then uninstalled it and hid the icon.
    Just for curiosities sake yesterday I checked my search bar... I still have all my search options PLUS bing.
    *scratches head*
    01-10-10 09:56 AM
    I'm trying to figure out how BING is the only search option in the "go to..."
    I got the bing VPL and I installed it... didnt like it and then uninstalled it and hid the icon.
    Just for curiosities sake yesterday I checked my search bar... I still have all my search options PLUS bing.
    *scratches head*
    Your profile lists 8330 so I can understand why you don't see it. My 8330 still has Google, Dictionary.com, Wikipedia and Live...
    01-12-10 07:17 AM
    Just as an addition...

I got an email from my VZW corp rep this am with a PDF "explaining" the Bing roll out to BB's. Not sure I can share the actual PDF, but here is the "meat" of it...

It lists Storm 9530, Storm 2 9550, Curve 8330, Curve 2 8530, World Edition 8830, Tour 9630 as already having received the VPL (icon on the home screen which can be used to download the FULL Bing app) push, and that if your device doesn't have the icon now, you'll get it the next time the device re-registers.

It states the Pearl 8130 and Pearl Flip 8230 as getting the VPL in the near future.

It suggests that BES owners who wish to not see FUTURE VPL's enable an IT Security Policy... (set “Allow ApplicaIon Download Services” under “Browser” policy group to NO).

The document further discusses the browser update which makes Bing the "default search engine" as affecting the Storm2 and the Curve2. No other models are listed. It further states that you can still use the other search engines by visiting their web page & book mark it, downloading apps from RIM's AppWorld, etc. (pretty much the same BS we can read at that link provided by garment69 in Post # 796 of this thread)

Again, it doesn't address the big issue that Bing isn't just made the default, its made the ONLY search provider choice.
    01-12-10 07:31 AM
    that is ridiculously annoying! hope they dont do that to the Tour2... My contract ends in a few months and i was thinking about picking up the new tour when it comes out. So the only way to avoid this is probably getting a different third party browser? i dont want bing as my default search engine.
    01-12-10 09:37 AM
    Or move to California, were not affected with this only defualt Bing the only one... Bing sometimes sucks but not all the time.

01-12-10 09:50 AM
    Or move to California, were not affected with this only defualt Bing the only one... Bing sometimes sucks but not all the time.

You sure about that?

Do you know anyone with a Storm2 or Curve2?
    01-12-10 09:57 AM
    Complaining to the FCC did absolutley nothing. HQ called me and said it was BB. I said, if it's BB, why only on Verizon. She had no answer. I told her about the deal between Microsoft and Verizon and she said "Well if you want to believe what you read on the internet..." I told her that she is mis informed by her superiors or just helping in the cover up. She said that it is listed that I have requested my default searches to be returned but at this time there is nothing that can be done. I continue to harrass tech support and HQ wasting their time. I even told her I will keep it up. I'm not a fan of Verizon atm. I just wish I could insert my arms through the phone and around her neck.

</rant>

Sign a petition that will probably do nothing here:
    Shame on you, Verizon Wireless - Please restore our BB search engine choices!
    01-12-10 12:39 PM
    You sure about that?

Don't know about those just yet, but there's alot of friends here in Fresno California that still have google etc.. on 9530.

Will investigate about those devices...
    01-12-10 12:47 PM

Really.
    I live smack in Silly Valley. Bing only on my S2.
    My wife's S1 has all the options. No push to Bing only on her S1.
    01-12-10 12:56 PM
    signed petition.
    01-12-10 01:12 PM
    You sure about that?

Don't know about those just yet, but there's alot of friends here in Fresno California that still have google etc.. on 9530.

Will investigate about those devices...
    Right, your profile lists a Storm1/9530 and the reason I ask if you know someone with a Storm2/9550 or Curve2/8530 is because....

(from post # of this thread..)
    [quote]
    ...I got an email from my VZW corp rep this am with a PDF "explaining" the Bing roll out to BB's. Not sure I can share the actual PDF, but here is the "meat" of it...

...The document further discusses the browser update which makes Bing the "default search engine" as affecting the Storm2 and the Curve2. No other models are listed. ...
    Notice the RED (highlighted for this response)..

So it would be understandable that your Storm1's browser still has google, wikipedia, dictionary and live as search provider choices, no matter where you are.
    01-12-10 01:15 PM
    Maybe the older phones can't be remotely reset?

01-13-10 01:13 AM
    I can't believe this thread is still going! Too funny!

01-13-10 02:15 AM
    Maybe the older phones can't be remotely reset?
    No. They can be. Its just VZW hasn't done it yet.
    01-13-10 07:46 AM
    I can't believe this thread is still going! Too funny!

I can't believe Bing is still my sole search "option" on my browser! Too funny!
    01-13-10 07:48 AM
    No. They can be. Its just VZW hasn't done it yet.
    And they won't cuas I'm blocking them to do so, {WHAT! lol on bis

[they now better not to mess with me or cali] >BlackBerry Storm

01-13-10 08:19 AM
    [QUOTE=Mark_Venture;4481631]Right, your profile lists a Storm1/9530 and the reason I ask if you know someone with a Storm2/9550 or Curve2/8530 is because....

(from post # of this thread..)
    Notice the RED (highlighted for this response)..

So it would be understandable that your Storm1's browser still has google, wikipedia, dictionary and live as search provider choices, no matter where you are.
    OOoohhh I see, I've been using storm to see forums and did not catch device profile on them, apparently they all have 2s
    So they haven't done it on all storms 1 I'm sure.

Thanks for the know,
    Mark.
    01-13-10 08:41 AM
    Talk to Verizon today and the guy told me that my concerns would be given to the executive office... BS for sure. He kept telling me how they made it more convenient to search google because of having the icon on your homepage and that they didnt strip out any features of the phone. I have a BBB complaint open and i wont close it with those answers to my concerns.
    01-13-10 10:36 AM
    I still don't understand why everyone is pissin' and moanin' about the bing search engine. I still have google in my browser and who really cares about the bing icon being pushed to your phone? It really isn't that big of a deal. I couldn't imagine of something really bad did happen to one of yall.
    01-13-10 12:40 PM
    I like the convience of just opening my native browser and using the google search function. I don't want to have to navigate to Google first. Yes it is only a few seconds, but for how much I google stuff, that really adds up.

Don't be lame Verizon, give me Google and my options back.
    01-13-10 02:10 PM
906 ... 3132333435 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD