03-29-11 03:06 PM
906 ... 2930313233 ...
tools
    u can delete the service books for bing like i did and the icon will be gone for good. i have no bing icon now and i have all of my options for search providers.
    12-24-09 06:00 PM
    u can delete the service books for bing like i did and the icon will be gone for good. i have no bing icon now and i have all of my options for search providers.
    I think most people here couldn't care less about the Bing icon on the home screen, since it is only a link that takes up negligible space, and it can be hidden and forgotten.

And even making Bing the top search engine in the BB browser is not a big deal. What they DO care about is making Bing the exclusive search engine in the BB browser, and then just telling you to use some workaround like adding the other search site to your bookmarks.
    Last edited by CharlesH; 12-24-09 at 07:04 PM.
    12-24-09 07:01 PM
    You know, maybe this is a blessing in disguise. A number of good things COULD come out of this whole mess:

1. Google could see this as a way to light a fire under the butts and develop a Chrome browser for mobile phones and give us our choices BACK.

2. Some Attorney General will pick up this plight and sue the pants off Verizon and Microsoft for anti competitive practices thus keeping a watchful eye on them.

I am with most on here, I wouldn't have minded that they installed Bing as an ADDITIONAL search engine but to make it the Only one? Come on now. IANAL but has to be anti competitive by eliminating all other competitors and not even allowing the user who OWNS the phone to add them back!

I can't wait for either Mozilla and / or Google to release a browser for the Blackberry.
    I'm on my phone so I'm not gonna delete the parts of your post in not replying to since my reply is about your second point.

I'm actually thinking of contacting a lawyer and possibly brewing up a class action lawsuit for contract infringement as vzw clearly somehow went into our phones and altered something without our acceptance or knowledge. When I bought the phone I had my choices and now I don't. In actually not that angry about having to type in google.com, but what annoys me is the control vzw has, my phone is more theirs than it is mine....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-09 07:11 PM
    I think most people here couldn't care less about the Bing icon on the home screen, since it is only a link that takes up negligible space, and it can be hidden and forgotten.

And even making Bing the top search engine in the BB browser is not a big deal. What they DO care about is making Bing the exclusive search engine in the BB browser, and then just telling you to use some workaround like adding the other search site to your bookmarks.
    Exactly.....

12-24-09 07:22 PM
    LOL, posts like this crack me up. people come in here and post things like this bringing up political views and what not. Like this bing crap is the only thing I worry about. I post my concerns in here cause its a thread concerning verizon and bing. But thank you for that very insightful post about health care. really cleared things up for me.
    And I also want to thank you for your thoroughly insightful post. I was wondering if you making a connection between the browser configuration and the country's politics?
    12-24-09 11:00 PM
    I'm on my phone so I'm not gonna delete the parts of your post in not replying to since my reply is about your second point.

I'm actually thinking of contacting a lawyer and possibly brewing up a class action lawsuit for contract infringement as vzw clearly somehow went into our phones and altered something without our acceptance or knowledge. When I bought the phone I had my choices and now I don't. In actually not that angry about having to type in google.com, but what annoys me is the control vzw has, my phone is more theirs than it is mine....

exactly....man more and more people really starting to dislike VZW.....awwww ahahahahaha
    12-24-09 11:15 PM
    I don't like the fact it was pushed to our phones, so I dropped the native browser and went to Opera Mini 5B2.

12-25-09 09:00 AM
    This will work until next time your device registers on the network and all the service books get pushed to it, and voila, Bing is back.
    12-25-09 11:03 AM
    exactly....man more and more people really starting to dislike VZW.....awwww ahahahahaha
    You are clearly welcome to vote with your dollars. Me I'm staying with Verizon. BTW I hope you have the same hatred of the airlines. The government should be investigating them as well. They nickel and dime you while traveling...and ever change a reservation it will cost you a few hundred dollars. Where is the government prohibiting this type of price gouging? Why doesn't the government just step in and outlaw this practice?
    12-25-09 11:18 AM
    You are clearly welcome to vote with your dollars. Me I'm staying with Verizon. BTW I hope you have the same hatred of the airlines. The government should be investigating them as well. They nickel and dime you while traveling...and ever change a reservation it will cost you a few hundred dollars. Where is the government prohibiting this type of price gouging? Why doesn't the government just step in and outlaw this practice?
    The difference between that and this Bing thing is that you KNOW about it when you make your purchase. You didn't buy your ticket thinking you were going to be able to make changes for free, or that you would get a free sandwich. When you bought your ticket, that's how it was. When I bought my phone, I had choices on my browser...now I don't.
    12-25-09 12:17 PM
    The only way this will be changed is to just use Google however you choose to do it. Either with the home page setting, or as I am doing, if I plan on searching for something directly I just use the Google Launcher. If people do not use Bing then the advertising deal between Microsoft and Verizon will not pay off for either and the exclusive deal will be dropped. I really don't think there are any grounds for a lawsuit as Verizon did not limit your ability to search but just changed the default to only Bing. you are still free to go around Bing and use Google, or any other search provider, just not as conveniently.
    12-25-09 12:30 PM
    Gnomad is correct except for the statement about the default being Bing. That implies that there are other options available to set your search engine to. There are not. You can indeed navigate to another page and then search from there but there is no other option of you want to use the native browser's search engine. It is not the default, it is the only search engine. The fact that they are trying to use the "default" terminology makes me think that they are trying to hide the fact that they are engaging in anti-competitive business practices.

Last edited by adambigge; 12-25-09 at 09:26 PM.
    12-25-09 07:19 PM
    Me too. On Sunday. I called Verizon and it is becoming the browser on BB they contracted with Bing You can search google and use it but the main browser is now Bing.
    12-25-09 09:09 PM
    I have 3 Curves and they all still have the old search options. They did get the bing icon pushed onto them but I never installed the app (maybe that has something to do with it).
    12-25-09 11:19 PM
    I have 3 Curves and they all still have the old search options. They did get the bing icon pushed onto them but I never installed the app (maybe that has something to do with it).
    It has Nothing to do with the bing app / icon. Doesn't matter if you installed, deleted, hid, didn't install, doesn't really matter....

They are pushing their new found search engine to devices. They have begun with the Storms, I don't think they have done this with the Curve's yet. If they want to change your search options then they will. You don't have any way to prevent it.

Verizon will decide how you search from the browser. Customers no longer matter.....unless ya got $500 mill. to push your own product.

12-25-09 11:31 PM
    ......But I am loving Shoasoft's SearchIt App.
    Great suggestion! I'm lovin' the SearchIt App!
    12-26-09 07:42 AM
    My Storm still has the search options (w/ Google as the default) It's the original Storm, not the Storm2. It did have the bing icon pushed on it a while ago, but I never installed it. Will be keeping an eye out for the change, but I mostly use Opera mini so I'm going to be relatively unaffected by this change.
    12-26-09 08:03 AM
    i installed the bing on my curve and the map is excellent. the gps function i active and dang near dead on for my location. my home page is set to google anyways so it dont matter if they mess with my search otions
    12-26-09 07:37 PM
    I don't think they have done this with the Curve's yet.
    I have seen curve users that has had the switch made to them. Again today my 3 curves still have google.
    12-26-09 10:24 PM
    Found out today, thru a 3rd party not afiliated with phones, that Microsfot DID pay (a vary large amount) to have Bing inserted as the only option on VZW browsers. e was told it was a direct MS to VZW deal...
    I hate MS
    12-26-09 11:12 PM
    I have seen curve users that has had the switch made to them. Again today my 3 curves still have google.
    are they using 8330s or 8530s. My 8530 has it, all the 8330s in my office do not.
    12-27-09 12:50 AM
    How do they "push" this change? Is there just a "service book" (whatever that is?) change or do they change the entire Browser or just a module within the browser?

Well, doing some initial sleuthing on my Tour with OS 5, hybrid I found that the browser consists of 21 modules and here's the list. The number at the end is the Version's last 3 digits the rest is 5.0. And for some reason one of them does appear twice on my unit

Browser
    Application Properties
    Modules: (21)
    net_rim_apps_internaI_browser_smil 238
    net_rim_bb_browser_cookiejar 238
    net_rim_bb_browser_daemon 238
    net_rim_bb_browser_gears 351
    net_rim_bb_browser_lib 238
    net_rim_bb_browse_mango 238
    net_rim_bb_browser_mango_wrapper 238

net_rim_bb_browser_ninjainterface 351
    net_rim_bb_browser_plugin_docview 238
    net_rim_bb_browser_pIugin_security 351
    net_rim_bb_browser_rendering_lib 238
    net_rim_bb_media_pIugin 238
    net_rim_bb_mms 238
    net_rim_bb_rich_email 371
    net_rim_bb_sbinjector_lib 238

net_rim_Ioader 351
    net_rim_plazmic_mediaengine 238
    net_rim_pIazmic_mediaengine 238 (yes, twice)
    net_rim_plazmic_mediaengine_smil_00 238
    net_rim_plazmic_mediaengine_smil_format 371
    net_rim_plazmic_mediaengine_smil_mms 238

Would preserving them and restoring them, at least, periodically FIX things? Or again, is there some other place that Verizon is tweaking?
    12-28-09 12:31 PM
    I sent an email to Verizon from their web site asking if there was a way to change this so that I could add other search engines to the list. Here's the response I got ...

--------------------------------

Dear X,

My name is X, and we're a proud supporter of Microsoft's Bing search engine. On a couple of select smartphones (Storm 2 the most prominent), we've changed the VZW-supplied web menu to make Bing the default search engine. If you prefer another search engine, still your choice: simply type in the URL of the search engine you prefer, mark it as a "favorite" and *SNAP* you're done!

X, we appreciate you taking the time to contact us, and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless. Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please send a new e-mail from our website and include the account password when submitting your inquiry for verification purposes.

Sincerely,

X
    Verizon Wireless
    Customer Service

--------------------------------

So now it seems that not only have they decided to limit the functionality of my phone in a way that is no benefit to me at all but they've also now come up with a scripted response for all they customer service people to send out. Thanks for the Bing-rape Verizon!
    12-28-09 02:00 PM
    Yea what crap. Thats what pisses me off most is they get 500 mil and I still get to pay my overpriced bill.
    12-28-09 02:06 PM
    Would disabling the WAP push setting in the browser prevent this from happening?
    12-28-09 02:08 PM
906 ... 2930313233 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD