03-29-11 02:06 PM
906 ... 2829303132 ...
tools
    I returned by "free" Storm2 on day 29 over this incident. Now, I'm waiting on the Google NexusOne which should be out in early 1stQ 2010.

It looks like it will be a phone that you will have to buy outright. From that point forward, I just need to read the fine print on the contract to verify that it is actually "my" phone.

However, since it will not be compatible with Verizons network (or so I'm told), I will have to switch to either Sprint, AT&T or TMobile. Does anyone have a preference?

I do not want to be Verizons b***h any longer.

TheWitness
    So far I've only read about GSM versions, therefore T-mobile or AT&T. T-mobile will supposedly be the one carrying it if that helps you.
    12-23-09 08:03 PM
    I just stumbled across this post while looking for info on the new Bing app on my desktop. I still have all my options on both of my Curves. I just did a battery pull just to see if it would "update" my options. All is still the same for now. I'll be pissed if/when mine changes.

FB
    12-23-09 08:38 PM
    Its crap......BING sucks
    12-23-09 08:40 PM
    I have a question - how do they alter the browser to eliminate the google search and substitute bing0? At what level does that type of interference occur? Is the Browser part of the OS? If so, would getting a Sprint or other carriers OS over-ride the bing aspect? Or is the browser actually part of the "service books?" Since if the browser icon disappears (as happens sometimes), resending service books restores it.

Can we get someone else's service books to FIX this issue?
    12-23-09 09:37 PM
    Service books are provider specific. The bing deal is between microsoft and VZW so if you moved to another network you would have that networks options ( no other network has moved to bign only as far as i know)
    12-23-09 09:48 PM
    Ya know, I don't mind if VZW "ADDS" Bing to the search list... Even make it the TOP choice... but the others should still be left alone, and let ME choose which I want as "DEFAULT".
    12-23-09 10:07 PM
    Ha! Bing is invasive, and this is about people having there choice..........or call it freedom of choice. Your attitude smells of a "plant". So, are you a planted source of misinformation, or why would you promote such a lack of free will concerning a service that hardworking consumers pay good money for? Very interesting..............
    12-23-09 10:42 PM
    Ha! Bing is invasive, and this is about people having there choice..........or call it freedom of choice. Your attitude smells of a "plant". So, are you a planted source of misinformation, or why would you promote such a lack of free will concerning a service that hardworking consumers pay good money for? Very interesting..............
    12-23-09 11:05 PM
    I am very upset that there is an app on my phone that I do not want there, and that I can not delete if I want, and even more upset that it is Bing. It is invasive, not only on the phone but everywhere else on the internet, and it is useless. No one likes it.....NO ONE. Perhaps if Microsoft would develop a search engine that was useful and friendly, and then MARKET it, they would have something that people would use. But, wow, they are behind the temporal curve for one thing, years behind, then to top it off, they are trying to force people to use it. I will consider a different phone when I am through with my current contract due to this issue. Dont get me wrong, I loved my BlackBerry prior to this issue. I have even had some other technical issues that I had to work out, and I did not mind the time spent dealing with it in order to make my phone work right. But this issue is not a mistake, a little quirk, or any other thing apart from my not being able to make a choice about what apps I want on my phone. I work hard to earn the money it cost me for the phone, and for the service fees each month. In return for my contribution, I would really like to be the one making choices about how I, I, want the phone to work. Please take this complaint seriously, and consider how thousands of fans of your product are reacting to this invasion of privacy and freedom of choice.

Thank you and Happy Holidays,

Best Regards,
    12-23-09 11:09 PM
    I could care less about Bing, I set Google as my home page, but I miss Wikipedia search. Try searching the full version of Wikipedia from a bookmark and see what a pain that is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-09 01:03 AM
    i don't like it
    12-24-09 02:34 AM
    I really don't see how this is not an anti-trust issue. Microsoft has been sued for less haha
    12-24-09 06:20 AM
    Damnit well it finally happened. I was trying to avoid the whole Bing fiasco for as long as I could. I haven't deleted any apps or rebooted my phone since this news came out. My app memory stayed strong at 127.4 mb for the last couple weeks adn didn't budge.

This morning right when I got to my desk at work I pulled my phone out of my pocket and I dropped it. Battery door and battery came off the phone To be honest I didn't even think about the screen being cracked first (it didn't). My first initial thought was "SIHT now I'm stuck with Bing!!" and sure enough when I put the battery back in and the phone rebooted there it was
    12-24-09 07:13 AM
    My Storm2 got "converted" last night. Merry Christmas from Verizon! Google and Wiki are gone.......only Bing now. I'm surprised that I'm more pissed-off than I thought I would be. I called VZW and told them I could care less if they add Bing to the list of choices, but making it the only "choice" is B S. BlackBerry's sucky browser just got suckier.

I've loaded the Google App. and forcing myself to use Opera Mini more. Does anyone know if there is an App for Wiki? I searched the BB App World, but nothing came up.

Rich
    Last edited by richs10; 12-24-09 at 07:48 AM.
    12-24-09 07:41 AM
    Believe it or not, I've actually started using Bing and it's really not that bad. HOWEVER I still wish Verizon would have given US the choice in the matter. Add and make Bing the default, BUT still give us the chance to change it. Especially with the searches that are not in direct comp like wiki & dictionary. But I am loving Shoasoft's SearchIt App.
    12-24-09 08:04 AM
    "Default" search engine?!?! Uh, NO... They're making it their >>ONLY<< Search engine. "Default" implies there is a "CHOICE"!.

Stupid...
    +1 Just plain bad form ... Won't switch cause their coverage is king right now but I will remember and I'll be sure to tell anyone who asks me how I feel about have things like this jammed down on my phone.

Not the way to treat someone who was a loyal and happy customer!
    12-24-09 08:30 AM
    You know, maybe this is a blessing in disguise. A number of good things COULD come out of this whole mess:

1. Google could see this as a way to light a fire under the butts and develop a Chrome browser for mobile phones and give us our choices BACK.

2. Some Attorney General will pick up this plight and sue the pants off Verizon and Microsoft for anti competitive practices thus keeping a watchful eye on them.

I am with most on here, I wouldn't have minded that they installed Bing as an ADDITIONAL search engine but to make it the Only one? Come on now. IANAL but has to be anti competitive by eliminating all other competitors and not even allowing the user who OWNS the phone to add them back!

I can't wait for either Mozilla and / or Google to release a browser for the Blackberry.
    Last edited by dmcman73; 12-24-09 at 09:34 AM.
    12-24-09 09:30 AM
    I still have the op to use google,wiki,ect. Why does it take so long for me to get the push. Verizon is scared to bring me the bing I guess.

12-24-09 10:03 AM
    I still have the op to use google,wiki,ect. Why does it take so long for me to get the push. Verizon is scared to bring me the bing I guess.

One battery pull is all it takes.
    12-24-09 12:36 PM
    Believe it or not, I've actually started using Bing and it's really not that bad. HOWEVER I still wish Verizon would have given US the choice in the matter. Add and make Bing the default, BUT still give us the chance to change it. Especially with the searches that are not in direct comp like wiki & dictionary. But I am loving Shoasoft's SearchIt App.
    SearchIt by ShaoSoft is AWESOME and completely on point! Thanks again PK for pointing this great find out!

For those that havent checked it out, I highly recommend you do so instead crying about what VZW has done. GET OVER IT!!!!!! There is nothing that you can do to fix it, as of right now there is no way to avoid it. Does it suck? Yes, of course it does! Do they know how pissed people are? They sure do! Will they change it? Who knows, but there are more important things to worry about than this! I cant believe this thread is still going and people coming in here surprised or shocked that it was finally pushed to them. Do you not read people?!

End Rant!
    12-24-09 01:48 PM
    SearchIt by ShaoSoft is AWESOME and completely on point! Thanks again PK for pointing this great find out!

For those that havent checked it out, I highly recommend you do so instead crying about what VZW has done. GET OVER IT!!!!!! There is nothing that you can do to fix it, as of right now there is no way to avoid it. Does it suck? Yes, of course it does! Do they know how pissed people are? They sure do! Will they change it? Who knows, but there are more important things to worry about than this! I cant believe this thread is still going and people coming in here surprised or shocked that it was finally pushed to them. Do you not read people?!

End Rant!
    I'm sure there are some who are pissed, I'm not. I actually like Bing and more importantly when it finally arrives on my phone I can get around it. Have more to worry about than a browser configuration, like health care non-reform.
    12-24-09 02:47 PM
    I'm sure there are some who are pissed, I'm not. I actually like Bing and more importantly when it finally arrives on my phone I can get around it. Have more to worry about than a browser configuration, like health care non-reform.
    Oh dont get me wrong it pisses me off too; and dont get me started on the Liberal Loons that have been destroying this country and "Fundamentally Transforming" it!

But thats for another thread!
    12-24-09 03:07 PM
    LOL, posts like this crack me up. people come in here and post things like this bringing up political views and what not. Like this bing crap is the only thing I worry about. I post my concerns in here cause its a thread concerning verizon and bing. But thank you for that very insightful post about health care. really cleared things up for me.
    12-24-09 03:11 PM
    Amen.. And SearchIT ROCKS!
    12-24-09 03:13 PM
    One battery pull is all it takes.
    Battery pulled today and every day before. Still haven't got it. I have the bing icon hidden but the browser still has google. My wife's 8330 still has google too.

12-24-09 04:48 PM
906 ... 2829303132 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD