03-29-11 02:06 PM
906 12345 ...
tools
    I'm also having this issue. Bing only as the search engine, using S2 on BPS, running the new 428.

I'm not really too concerned. Although I prefer Google for search, Bing seems to provide comparable results, I just like the way search results look in Google. I also have Launchers from BBLaunchers for Wikipedia and a number of the other sites I use, plus I use Opera mini as my main browser.

All in all this is a good release and I'm sure it will be fixed at some point.
    12-15-09 07:37 PM
    For those having search problems, try using this - http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/sea...n-beta-385470/
    12-15-09 07:53 PM
    Ok, so I posted earlier today that I still had all search options. Now, just Bing. I did not reset my phone nor did I install anything new. It appears that it just showed up. Tacky move Verizon/RIM.
    12-15-09 08:15 PM
    It happened to me and I did NOT update my BBM yet...

i can still go to google.com though...
    Definitely must be a push from Rim or Verizon. Its in the service books nothing to do with the OS.

Bah this sucks I hate being limited to one thing. And I hate being pushed into using anything.

It turns me off to practices like that.
    12-15-09 08:19 PM
    I'm an App Developer at work and requested an upgrade from my 8330 to the 9550 (we're on Verizon) to get the new 5.x OS for development and .320 app features.

• 12pm EST - Got my Storm 2
      • Preloaded with .320, and Bing Icon
      • BES activation went fine
      • Google and dropdown search options were available
    • 8pm EST - loaded BBM5 and Google Maps
    • 8:30pm EST - noticed Bing was only search option
    • 8:45pm EST - raged until I found this thread

Facts:
    • Still on .320 OS
    • Using BES from work
    • Did have Bing Icon, but search options included actual *options* and google default
    • Did load BBM5, among other apps
    • Hid Bing Icon
    • Bing now only search option

I hope this gets resolved soon, and am willing to test anything we come up with here based on the variables I provided.

Seems to me that if Verizon or Microsoft purposely altered the RIM licensed Browser and Search without RIM's knowledge, it would be a violation.
    12-15-09 08:21 PM
    Adding a note so I can subscribe and get notified of a fix if one ever materializes.

In the same boat as everyone else on this thread.

What are the consequences of deleting the Bing service book entry?
    12-15-09 08:25 PM
    I am a bit annoyed with this. RIM/VZW/Microsoft had better get this sh!t sorted out Pronto. There is no reason to try to back door us into an inferior search engine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-09 08:31 PM
    Knowing how "wonderful" and "detailed oriented" the programmers at RIM and Verizon are, they probably were only trying to change "Live Search" to "Bing" and make it default instead of Google. Of course they screwed it up... Honestly if you were gonna do a contractual thing and go Bing only, how would that effect Wikipedia or Dictionary.com? They are not Bing's competion, Google is... If that were the case I would expect Google to be the only option missing... Just a thought.

12-15-09 08:36 PM
    Just resent service book on my sprint 8330/5.0.0.230 and did a BP,still have google,

12-15-09 08:56 PM
    +1 on the reset being the cause. I had it before I reset to install BBM. I'm still on 320.
    12-15-09 09:07 PM
    At first I was thinking, Maybe this is Verizon's way of saying "Muahahaha, Go f yourselves leak installers" but now that its happening to other people this really sucks!! I haven't upgraded yet nor resent service books. I have rebooted and I still have all 4 options.
    12-15-09 09:11 PM
    I upgraded my Storm2 last night to .428, including re-register HRT, Service Books resend, and battery pull. Google search was still there. Something definitely happened on Verizon today. I used the Google search walking home from work today (5:30 EST) and it still shows up in my History. Now, after a battery pull -- Bing is the only option!
    12-15-09 09:22 PM
    Just so others know what we're talking about, here is a screenshot of the browser with bing as the only search option...
    12-15-09 09:32 PM
    I F'n hate bing, arghhhh. to quote an old S1 forum post "Get your storm sabers, storm tazers and storm pistols ready, we're assaulting RIM headquarters tonight!"

But seriously, this really does suck.
    12-15-09 09:38 PM
    I saw this thread and checked my phone (im on .428) and i had all options however first i thought i would send my hot routing table and now my only option is bing no battery pull or resending service books.
    12-15-09 10:18 PM
    hey i am posting to also keep abreast of any updates. I am running the leaked update on storm2 and have the same problem. did a battery pull and lo and behold only bing is there now
    12-15-09 10:23 PM
    Same thing here. Bing is the only option for my Storm 9550. My wife on the other hand still has all the other search options. Only thing I can think that I did different is that I haven't connected her 9550 to desktop manager in a while. Bring back Google! I hate bing and I don't quick search with google. It seems to disable the "go to" function in the browser.
    12-15-09 10:46 PM
    Meanwhile I am running a Storm 2, did a device reset yesterday and also did a full sync and refresh and still have all search providers. Thus I cannot reproduce what you are seeing.

That said, I switched it to Bing because it is vastly superior to Google, and unlike Google the company providing the search services is not in bed with totalitarian regimes and sharing the search engine data with them (see Chinese dissidents jailed on the basis of search info provided by google).
    12-15-09 11:03 PM
    Unfortunately i am now relegated to using the Google Quick Search app, since Bing is pathetic.
    12-15-09 11:06 PM
    Well, on the lighter side, I've finally been giving opera mini 5 beta2 a try... And am starting to really like it. And google is right at the top where it should be!

12-15-09 11:06 PM
    Meanwhile I am running a Storm 2, did a device reset yesterday and also did a full sync and refresh and still have all search providers. Thus I cannot reproduce what you are seeing.

That said, I switched it to Bing because it is vastly superior to Google, and unlike Google the company providing the search services is not in bed with totalitarian regimes and sharing the search engine data with them (see Chinese dissidents jailed on the basis of search info provided by google).
    First of all, resend your service books (if you want to recreate). How did you switch the search provider to Bing when it wasn't an option before.
    12-15-09 11:07 PM
    i seriously want dictionary.com option back.
    12-15-09 11:27 PM
    I find it ironic that Microsoft has to have a browser ballet in the EU so as not to give IE a competitive advantage within Windows. Meanwhile in the US, MS/VZ/RIMM have managed to restrict our options for search providers. I'm fascinated by the dichotomy at play here.
    12-15-09 11:33 PM
    As an update I am on BIS running .320 and have only done battery pulls, it certainly sounds like whenever you update your service books, you have the chance of getting screwed. You can blame any corporation you want, but we all know its Bill Gates' fault...
    12-15-09 11:34 PM
    its Bill Gates' fault...
    That's the answer right there. Thanks!

If that rich **** would have just taken the time and made a search engine that one can actually use (just like Google), we wouldn't have any problems.

Thanks Bill
    12-15-09 11:46 PM
906 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD