03-29-11 02:06 PM
906 ... 2627282930 ...
tools
    thats the bing app....has nothing to do with what everyone else is complaining about
    12-21-09 07:26 PM
    I just found this thread today. I have a Tour and so far it has not been affected. BUT, my question is: what has Crackberry.com been doing for the last FOUR days?!? This problem started on the 17th and today is the end of the day on the 21st and NOT ONE mention of this on the home page?!? Why not? All they have had is promos and other space wasters! This story should have been on the front page days ago.
    12-21-09 08:11 PM
    I just found this thread today. I have a Tour and so far it has not been affected. BUT, my question is: what has Crackberry.com been doing for the last FOUR days?!? This problem started on the 17th and today is the end of the day on the 21st and NOT ONE mention of this on the home page?!? Why not? All they have had is promos and other space wasters! This story should have been on the front page days ago.
    It was posted on the home page on 12/17!!
    12-21-09 08:19 PM
    It was posted on the home page on 12/17!!
    Sorry, I was too depressed about that being my last day of work before being laid off!
    12-21-09 08:22 PM
    Not really. The original Storm was the first to have full GPS capabilities without having restrictions from VZW. The older models i.e. 8130, 8330, and 8830 all recieved an update to allow for only BBMapps to work with the GPS due to a hardware restriction in those devices, which only allow for GPS to be used by native apps, such as BBMaps, but no 3rd party app support
    Odd.. My S1 would only work with BBMaps... The GPS did NOT work with Google maps, or any other third part app I had that used GPS...

It wasn't until they did an official firmware update that GPS was "Unlocked" for other third party apps. From then on, Google Maps would pinpoint me to within 3 meters... (As opposed to 3000 meters using triangulation with cell towers).
    12-21-09 08:24 PM
    Odd.. My S1 would only work with BBMaps... The GPS did NOT work with Google maps, or any other third part app I had that used GPS...

It wasn't until they did an official firmware update that GPS was "Unlocked" for other third party apps. From then on, Google Maps would pinpoint me to within 3 meters... (As opposed to 3000 meters using triangulation with cell towers).
    Had Storm 1 since April and since I activated it running .77 I had full GPS
    12-21-09 08:58 PM
    Sorry, I was too depressed about that being my last day of work before being laid off!
    Sorry to hear that man, hope you find something soon.
    12-21-09 09:14 PM
    Wow! My anus is twitching
    Sorry to hear that man, hope you find something soon.
    12-21-09 09:25 PM
    Sorry to hear that! It sucks, welcome to the club! Not a good club to be in but hey, what can you do.
    12-21-09 09:31 PM
    Wow. Nice work Verizon. Way to partner w/ a company w/ a $hitty search engine! Bing is terrible. Search for something on both and look at the top 10 results. Google will win everytime. Bad bad bad sad sad sad move........
    12-21-09 09:58 PM
    Hi all, I saw this FCC complaint link on a Verizon forum thread. I believe the FCC will put an end to practices like this if enough people complain:
    esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm?sid=d1e408&id=d1e463

It took me 2 minutes to complete the form. Do it now!
    12-21-09 10:05 PM
    I haven't done any upgrades, however I had to do a "wipe" and resend service books to my phone (due to a BES issue). When that was done, I have nothing but "BING".

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with a VZW rep who tried to remove BING and give me back "Google", he was as frustrated as we all are.

As incensed as I am about having this pushed on us, I have found (in the BB App World) the "Google Search" application. One button, it launches your browser and puts you into the "Google Search" mode. Not so bad an option.
    12-21-09 11:20 PM
    I don't know if anyone is interested, but I sent this letter to Verizon:

I am very disappointed that Verizon has forced Bing upon Blackberry customers. I purchased a Storm 2 for all of it's features. At the time that I purchased it, I felt it was a much better deal than the iPhone. Now, I can't even utilize the phone in the way that I want. I hate Bing. I like choice. I want Google restored to the search engine options, in my web browser. Read the public opinion on the forums. There is a lot of outrage over this matter.

I then received a reply from a Verizon representative on the following evening. She called and explained to me how I could download a GOOGLE app to search from, and that I could just go to google.com and search from there. At that point, I realized that your company just doesn't get it.

I am a busy person. I bought my Blackberry as a necessity; not as a toy. I use this phone during very important situations. I use it on occasions when I don't have the time to wait on page after page to load on the browser. This phone is a tool for me, to say the least. When I purchased it in the Verizon Kiosk, I tried the demo out and made sure that a few key features were available on it. One of those key features was that I would be able to use google to search. I like the personal choice I have in choosing my own settings and customizing features on my phone. I didn't buy a Droid because the Storm 2 had everything I needed.

Now, Verizon Wireless has decided what is best for me, and when your representative contacted me, I explained why I don't like that. I also explained why I don't like bing. I was impressed by the apathetic response she gave me after my explaination. She said, "OK, I will note your account with your concerns". Really? That's all? Thanks Verizon. Thanks for noting my account. That is a poor example of customer service. Maybe you could just restore my google search option. That would be a start
    12-22-09 12:14 AM
    Well it really depends on who you get, I talked to a CS person today, very nice woman. I talked to her about the bing situation among other problems. She noted my account as very angry about the bing situation and having problems with the phone in general and has pushed my upgrade all the way up to this january. I just explained that while at college I need google search as fast as possible as I host a talk radio show and kind of cant go through apps and wait when I need to check facts or look up news asap (no wifi in studio). If you dont feel like the CS rep you talked to was helpful, call again until you get someone who is. While most CS reps are great some are bound to not be helpful or not understand where you are coming from. Believe me ive gotten a tech support person who wouldnt even pull up my account info and was probably high, and ive gotten people who will either bend the rules or really help me fix a problem.
    12-22-09 03:17 AM
    I just hide this app when I noticed it everything else has remained the same on my phone before it was pushed to me.I did not open or install it .
    12-22-09 04:50 AM
    I just hide this app when I noticed it everything else has remained the same on my phone before it was pushed to me.I did not open or install it .
    Not talking about the launcher that was pushed but the search options being changed. Started with Storm2 users however it is getting distributed to all devices soon......unless VZW actually listens to its customers and stop this or the FCC jumps in. Fingers crossed that this nonsense is overturned!
    12-22-09 05:22 AM
    I rebooted multiple times and updated the service books and only received the Bing icon on the desktop. It did not touch my default search providers in the Blackberry browser. They are all still there (and Bing isn't even one of them!).
    However, when I click on the Bing icon it asks me to install it. I'm terrified of what might happen if I install it so I haven't done that. I'm wondering if it updates your default search after installing the application on the Curves...?
    Also, I never use the default search in the browser anyway. I just set my homepage to Google and just search from there. (Well, that, and I also have Opera Mini installed just in case ).

*EDIT* I should probably also mention I'm running OS 4.5.0.138.

-Ralph
    Last edited by cpdavngr; 12-22-09 at 07:46 AM.
    12-22-09 07:21 AM
    So let me get this straight . . . you Verizon users (I used to be one) didn't realize that Verizon Nickels and Dimes you every chance they get without regard to you as customers? You are a dollar sign to them (yeah I know we're $$ to all of 'em but VZW is by far the worst offender). $15 extra for Exchange support on the Droid, a new $375 early termination fee, Rhapsody Music, Navigation, Ringtone Maker, all of these Verizon slams the $$ on their customers and then there's that "button" on their phones that, even if you don't use data, will incur a data charge of $1.99 if you accidentally hit it.

I go WAY back with Airtouch which became Verizon and I know all about them. My wife and I constantly had to battle them for little charges and duplicate charges everywhere in our bill. The worst company in wireless. They are the Vampires of wireless and you are their cattle.

And guess what? Turns out their network is not all that hot either:

"The results place AT&Ts data network not just on top, but well ahead of everyone else. AT&Ts data throughput is 40 to 50 percent higher than the competition, including Verizon, Mr. Carter said. AT&T is a client and Verizon is not, he added."

(See "AT&T Takes the Blame, Even for the iPhones Faults" in NYT's Digital Domain's reference to benchmarking AT&T Wireless and VZW.)

This is something I've always known having been an Airtouch/Verizon customer, then an AT&T customer back in the early 00's, then a Verizon customer using a Treo 650, then back to AT&T as soon as my Verizon contract expired.

By far AT&T has been the most reliable and I drive from Atlanta to Florida and all the way up the Eastern seaboard through DC and into Philly and down to the Shore in New Jersey. I also fly out West and over all, I've been much happier with AT&T with dependability, customer service and their particular brand of wireless greed as compared to VZW.

JoeL
    It looks like someone is an ATT troll. First off, what Verizon has done with the search engine choices is terrible and they should not be allowed to get away with it. Now with that said you don't have to make up lies about them. First off you don't have to pay $15 dollars extra to get exchange support on the Droid. I have a Droid and I get am syncing with my work Exchange server on the regular $30/month plain. If you don't believe me look at this:

boygeniusreport.com/2009/11/04/verizon-droid-data-plan-30-with-exchange-support-for-consumer-lines/

Lastly this article "AT&T Takes the Blame, Even for the iPhones Faults" is just more ATT propaganda. Here is an article that debunks that one:

arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/12/claim-that-crappy-iphone-service-is-apples-fault-is-bunkum.ars

The article states that while the iPhone does cause some of the problems that users experience. International users have far fewer problems that ATT users have. Not to mention MMS and Tethering that was available internationally from day one (when iPhone Os 3.0 came out) but not from ATT.
    12-22-09 07:32 AM
    And FTR ATT nickel and dimes just as much as Verizon. It's called capitalism.
    12-22-09 07:59 AM
    I rebooted multiple times and updated the service books and only received the Bing icon on the desktop. It did not touch my default search providers in the Blackberry browser. They are all still there (and Bing isn't even one of them!).
    However, when I click on the Bing icon it asks me to install it. I'm terrified of what might happen if I install it so I haven't done that. I'm wondering if it updates your default search after installing the application on the Curves...?
    Also, I never use the default search in the browser anyway. I just set my homepage to Google and just search from there. (Well, that, and I also have Opera Mini installed just in case ).

*EDIT* I should probably also mention I'm running OS 4.5.0.138.

-Ralph
    You and I are talking about the samething ( I did not install what you mentioned just hide it in a folder),but ...

Not talking about the launcher that was pushed but the search options being changed. Started with Storm2 users however it is getting distributed to all devices soon......unless VZW actually listens to its customers and stop this or the FCC jumps in. Fingers crossed that this nonsense is overturned!
    ...what they are talking about hasn't been pushed to you or I "yet"
    12-22-09 08:06 AM
    It really seems like the 8830 is the last of the business oriented BBs VZW will have ever carried. I have never received any of the pushed icons I see people beef about on the storm, or now this bing issue in the Browser. It seems like VZW is treating all the new BB's like consumer products where they feel they can dictate with impunity. Sucks because I very much want to go with this essex but I prefer the "being left alone" Ive gotten with my ancient 'business in the front party in the apps' BB mullet phone.

Viva la ocho ocho tres cero
    12-22-09 10:13 AM
    You are correct, here it is on the T&C

"Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device."
    This is a gray area, an area that Lawyers LOVE to dabble in. One can take this as the changes that are needed on your phones are ones that are needed to keep in compliance with FCC regulations AND to stay compatible with the wireless carriers network to function properly. By stripping out all search engines from the web browser and replacing it with one single one is neither keeping in compliance with the FCC OR keeping it compatible to work with the verizon network.

Yes, they can change thing son your phone to enhance it but I bet that if soemone was to take them to court for doing this, the Judge would see it differently. It's one thing to place a shortcut on your Blackberry home page for a piece of software where the user has to manually click on it to install it, it's another to push stuff to a device without the consent as they did in this situation. People would be up in arms if one day MS decided to remove all search options from their search bar in IE8 and only kept Bing in there, why is this any different.

I'll say it again, if this is left "unchecked" then Verizon will not stop here. Soon you'll be seeing daily ad pop ups on your screen. Get an email from someone describing a product they just purchased? Who's to say that Verizon would not incorporate a piece of software that would monitor your emails monitoring key words for products and link you to that product on the retailers page that paid Verizon for that spot? You own your phone, it's your device. They need consent from you as the owner to load ANYTHING. What would you do if the PC you purchased suddenly had all your software changed on it from Microsoft or Apple one morning? I bet you wouldn't be to happy now would you? Even MS leaves it up to you in loading enhancements, security patches and any other extras onto your PC giving you the choice to load it or not.
    12-22-09 12:03 PM
    I made a similar example several pages back. It all boils down to having things foisted upon us without our consent. The issue isn't the Bing fiasco itself. Rather it is VZW trying to get away with shady business practices that take advantage of us and gives them too much power over our devices. If you give them an inch, they will take a mile. Just like modern day politicians. I don't blame them for trying to make money. But they must be taught that there are some things we will not tolerate.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-09 12:35 PM
    I have to have 10 posts to post an email address so I am posting this one to again express my disappointment with the communists that made this decision. My next post will include their response to my email.
    12-22-09 01:32 PM
    Here is what I got from the Communists today:

RE: Product or Service Feedback (WFM53988200)‏
    Sent: Tue 12/22/09 12:48 PM
    To: Me
    Dear Mr. Me

I apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing. Verizon Wireless is a proud supporter of Microsoft's Bing search engine. On a couple of select smartphones (Storm 2 the most prominent), we've changed the VZW-supplied web menu to make Bing the default search engine. If you prefer another search engine, simply type in the URL of the search engine you prefer, mark it as a "favorite." If you have any more questions, please contact our customer service department at 1800 922 0204.

Sincerely
    Fisola O
    Coordinator
    Business Service Center
    12-22-09 01:34 PM
906 ... 2627282930 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD