03-29-11 02:06 PM
906 ... 2526272829 ...
tools
    It's a pretty strange coincidence then. BTW, I'm not freaking out. I deleted it. No more problem. I'm just offering some input

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Sorry I quoted you but I was talking about the thread tone in general and most everyone else in it.

12-21-09 09:07 AM
    Wow. Thread is still going strong and good ol' supermario28 is still spewing his employers propaganda.

Good times...

I have an idea folks...... since we have heard the width and breadth of all he can "contribute" to this thread (first he tried to tout the benefits of Bing. That got blown out of the water. Then he moved on to saying that it is not really our software so VZW can do what it wants. No dice there. Then he tried to say "it is legal because you signed the contract". Anybody that has any experience with contract law knows that is load of crap.) I suggest we just hit the handy dandy ignore button.
    12-21-09 10:21 AM
    Wow. Thread is still going strong and good ol' supermario28 is still spewing his employers propaganda.

Good times...

I have an idea folks...... since we have heard the width and breadth of all he can "contribute" to this thread (first he tried to tout the benefits of Bing. That got blown out of the water. Then he moved on to saying that it is not really our software so VZW can do what it wants. No dice there. Then he tried to say "it is legal because you signed the contract". Anybody that has any experience with contract law knows that is load of crap.) I suggest we just hit the handy dandy ignore button.
    I was kinda of enjoying flaming him.
    12-21-09 10:27 AM
    What erks me is that they are removing Wiki as well... That's not even a search engine!!!!

I find myself using Wiki maybe once a week, and the convenience of going straight from the browser search bar is great!

I'm on a Storm 1, so I haven't been "Binged" yet... But I will be speaking with VZW when/if it does happen...

As I said before, I'm a shareholder in Google... I also have a soon to be family member (brother in law) who is VERY wealthy who started his fortune by getting in when Google was an infant...

All in all, as said by others, the main beef is that we are loosing our CHOICE and convenience with this. YES, you CAN go to the Google page and do your search, but that's a second step that is really not needed, or wanted. And YES, you can even install the Google App, but that just takes up more of your valuable App memory (might be only a TINY amount of memory, but all these crappy PUSHED apps add up!!!!)...

I would agree, Wikipedia being gone is probably the one that irks me the most. For the most part it was the conveinence of selecting who I wanted to search, based off of what I was searching on.
    12-21-09 10:29 AM
    On a positive note, this app may possibility help a lot with The Bing Crisis

(Edited to show the new link)

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/new...leased-389866/

Jascias
    Last edited by Jascias; 12-21-09 at 12:10 PM.
    12-21-09 11:20 AM
    On a positive note, this app may possibility help a lot with The Bing Crisis

forums.crackberry.com/f35/searchit-new-app-open-beta-385470

Jascias
    Note: I had to remove the h t t p : / / since I do not have 10 posts yet.

I will have to check this out. Thanks for the post.

So far this looks like this is the best option for my headaches with The Bing Crisis

The Bing Crisis - we have our own crisis name know, whould we feel cool.
    Last edited by jcs23576; 12-21-09 at 11:37 AM.
    12-21-09 11:34 AM
    ...I did notice that Verizon pushed a Bing icon to my phone sometime on Sunday.
    Yeah, me too. It kind of made me and then it made me (laugh) I can't delete it, but I did hide it. I still have Google for searching, which is good.

Thanks for the corroboration - I thought I had done this Bing crap on my own (in a drunken haze). Vz needs to cut the sh*t!
    12-21-09 12:55 PM
    I believe the SearchIt App is on sale right now too. Just got turned on to it myself, i's SWEET! Besides letting you search many website search engines it lets you search popular BB sites too. (and NOT just CB)
    12-21-09 12:55 PM
    Bing just showed up on my icons the other day... I never downloaded anything... I thought it was weird.. but I do still have google as an option.
    12-21-09 01:04 PM
    I believe the SearchIt App is on sale right now too. Just got turned on to it myself, i's SWEET! Besides letting you search many website search engines it lets you search popular BB sites too. (and NOT just CB)
    +1,000,000,000,000,000 This app is looking pretty damn good! Just started playing with it and I am really digging it!
    12-21-09 01:12 PM
    Ok, so I apologize in advance if someone posted the following information. I really didn't feel like looking through 45 pages (especially with the arguements going on in here). I just got off the phone a few moments ago with a Verizon Tech (accessed through 611). He was aware of the change and he stated that it was pushed to the Storm 2s first. He stated that as of right now the plan is to eventually push it to all Blackberry devices on VZW and there is no current plan to allow any other search engine as an option. He of course gave the suggestion of just setting Google as the home page. He also suggested that I voice my opinion through Verizon's website in either the forums or by sending an email. Accessable here... https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/contact/email.jsp

So everyone, if you want something changed I'd say stop arguing in here and start filling up VZW's mailbox...
    12-21-09 01:16 PM
    Ok, so I apologize in advance if someone posted the following information. I really didn't feel like looking through 45 pages (especially with the arguements going on in here). I just got off the phone a few moments ago with a Verizon Tech (accessed through 611). He was aware of the change and he stated that it was pushed to the Storm 2s first. He stated that as of right now the plan is to eventually push it to all Blackberry devices on VZW and there is no current plan to allow any other search engine as an option. He of course gave the suggestion of just setting Google as the home page. He also suggested that I voice my opinion through Verizon's website in either the forums or by sending an email. Accessable here...
    So everyone, if you want something changed I'd say stop arguing in here and start filling up VZW's mailbox...
    I emailed them Friday and today, no repsonse.
    12-21-09 01:47 PM
    I emailed them Friday and today, no repsonse.
    Most likely your not gonna get a response, and if you do it will be something totally generic not answering your questions, so dont get your hopes up. All we can do is hope for some type of announcement of acknowledgment soon or changes made. Yet again, dont get your hopes up!
    12-21-09 01:49 PM
    Most likely your not gonna get a response, and if you do it will be something totally generic not answering your questions, so dont get your hopes up. All we can do is hope for some type of announcement of acknowledgment soon or changes made. Yet again, dont get your hopes up!
    I hoped letting them know I am a BES admin in charges of 140+ phones would have gotten them off their rear, but evidentally if your a consumer or a mid zie-size client doent matter.
    12-21-09 01:52 PM
    Nice post PK. I think Im gonna buy this app. Has everything I use on it. Thanks for taking your time to help us all too. You have been very helpful to me throughout the Crackberry forums.
    12-21-09 02:01 PM
    If you email them you will get the standard "fug you" response.
    Set your homepage or type in the URL, but you aren't getting any option but Bing.

I switched to Opera Mini.
    12-21-09 02:25 PM
    If you email them you will get the standard "fug you" response.
    Set your homepage or type in the URL, but you aren't getting any option but Bing.

I switched to Opera Mini.
    Well, I am a newbie to the Blackberry community, but if my reading and memory serves me correctly, the GPS on the Storm 1 used to be completely locked until enough people complained. Now, it's unlocked to a lot more apps than just VZ Navigator...
    12-21-09 02:30 PM
    ya this is really sucky.....don't like bing at all
    12-21-09 02:32 PM
    Well, I am a newbie to the Blackberry community, but if my reading and memory serves me correctly, the GPS on the Storm 1 used to be completely locked until enough people complained. Now, it's unlocked to a lot more apps than just VZ Navigator...
    The Storm1 GPS was not at any time locked in any way shape or form.

12-21-09 02:34 PM
    Not really. The original Storm was the first to have full GPS capabilities without having restrictions from VZW. The older models i.e. 8130, 8330, and 8830 all recieved an update to allow for only BBMapps to work with the GPS due to a hardware restriction in those devices, which only allow for GPS to be used by native apps, such as BBMaps, but no 3rd party app support
    12-21-09 02:34 PM
    Nice post PK. I think Im gonna buy this app. Has everything I use on it. Thanks for taking your time to help us all too. You have been very helpful to me throughout the Crackberry forums.
    Thanks for the kind words!
    12-21-09 03:42 PM
    Totally agree. Just went and purchased! Shao did a great job with this one and I recommend it for all. On sale till the 27th. Great find PK, and another thanks for all your hard work! You got my vote for Mod Of The Year in the upcoming Crackies!
    12-21-09 03:55 PM
    So let me get this straight . . . you Verizon users (I used to be one) didn't realize that Verizon Nickels and Dimes you every chance they get without regard to you as customers? You are a dollar sign to them (yeah I know we're $$ to all of 'em but VZW is by far the worst offender). $15 extra for Exchange support on the Droid, a new $375 early termination fee, Rhapsody Music, Navigation, Ringtone Maker, all of these Verizon slams the $$ on their customers and then there's that "button" on their phones that, even if you don't use data, will incur a data charge of $1.99 if you accidentally hit it.

I go WAY back with Airtouch which became Verizon and I know all about them. My wife and I constantly had to battle them for little charges and duplicate charges everywhere in our bill. The worst company in wireless. They are the Vampires of wireless and you are their cattle.

And guess what? Turns out their network is not all that hot either:

"The results place AT&Ts data network not just on top, but well ahead of everyone else. AT&Ts data throughput is 40 to 50 percent higher than the competition, including Verizon, Mr. Carter said. AT&T is a client and Verizon is not, he added."

(See "AT&T Takes the Blame, Even for the iPhones Faults" in NYT's Digital Domain's reference to benchmarking AT&T Wireless and VZW.)

This is something I've always known having been an Airtouch/Verizon customer, then an AT&T customer back in the early 00's, then a Verizon customer using a Treo 650, then back to AT&T as soon as my Verizon contract expired.

By far AT&T has been the most reliable and I drive from Atlanta to Florida and all the way up the Eastern seaboard through DC and into Philly and down to the Shore in New Jersey. I also fly out West and over all, I've been much happier with AT&T with dependability, customer service and their particular brand of wireless greed as compared to VZW.

JoeL
    12-21-09 06:01 PM
    ...$15 extra for Exchange support on the Droid...
    JoeL
    Wow! My anus is twitching

TheWitness
    12-21-09 06:37 PM
    I've got Bing in addition to Google, Wiki, etc.
    Just hid the icon
    12-21-09 06:46 PM
906 ... 2526272829 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD